Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Data cables, cameras, laptops, photos, etc.  (Read 4516 times)

RST

Data cables, cameras, laptops, photos, etc.
« on: October 07, 2022, 06:42:30 pm »

I don't agree but this is drifting off-topic.  I have to carry a small bag of IT leads and adapters with me each time I go to site pretty much because everything has different sockets on them still (even new devices).  It's high-time it was all standardised for me.  USB-C was something I didn't agree with years ago as yet another connector but surely we can standardise on something now to save useless waste?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Data cables, cameras, laptops, photos, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 06:42:58 pm »

I actually think that it is a very good idea but I fear that development will get stuck as it might not get updated. Connectors have often changed for good reasons.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 06:51:16 pm »

I have a cats cradle of adaptors and leads on my lounge floor for various devices and cameras. It's a real mess.

Life would be a lot easier if there was just one USB connector which could be either connected directly to your computer or via a stanardised mains power connector.

This would cover the majority of requirements. As far as future developments are concerned then the way ahead is via wifi or Bluetooth. My hearing aids connect directly to my PC via Bluetooth and I can control all the features via a Bluetooth App on my mobile phone.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 07:00:11 pm »

Colin
Yes contactless is probably the way forward but that doesn't necessarily signal the end of connecting cables. One of the main drivers for usb C was that it could handle much more power than its predecessors at the same time as not having a right way up plug connection which previously caused problems for many users.   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 07:03:57 pm »

Yes, quite happy with USB C as a standard physical connection, as you say, it can handle power and be connected either way.

Apple just want to lock people in to their own standards. I've just paid £19 for their iPad connector and plug.

Colin

RST

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 07:12:02 pm »

An old boss of mine used to say USB-C was revolutionary because you couldn't put it in "upside down".

...I did point out to him all it takes is just to turn it without bashing it in.  And what's on the other end -a unidirectional connector he had no problem with!

...I've not been a big fan of Bluetooth to be honest.  I find it a pain in the ass to connect with, but I must admit I use a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse now which is ruddy brilliant.  My works HP laptops have pitiful too few USB slots unlike my own laptops and it doesn't tie up a precious slot for a dongle.  Plus the mouse just works every time.  I'm fed up even trying to connect anything else by Bluetooth these days.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 07:13:21 pm »

Colin

Totally agree about Apple.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 07:21:46 pm »

I've not been a big fan of Bluetooth to be honest.  I find it a pain in the ass to connect with,

Don't rubbish Bluetooth RST, I'm profoundly deaf and the link to my mobile from my hearing aids has restored the ability to have a normal phone conversation after years of struggle! It's hard to describe just how much of an improvement that is. Yes, it has some quirks when connecting multiple devices simultaneously but do a bit of homework and it is soon sorted.

No gain without pain as they say.

Colin

RST

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 07:41:35 pm »

Hi Colin,

I'm not rubbishing it.  I know folk who swear but it but at the same time, while they're getting it to connect, I've already plugged in my cable and done with it. I struggle more and more with works calls in teams these days because folk have Bluetooth that never works.  It obviously works in some cases like for you with hearing aids -and my mouse LoL.  I had to buy a £500 camera last year for work because that was all that's available and smart phones, rather incredulously are bannned -still pretty much the same now.  Can I get wi-fi to work on it or my new expensive printer can I stuff but it seems most others can't either from the reviews.  I can never get NFC to work from any of my devices either.

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 07:48:06 pm »

Yes, horses for courses I agree.

Re cameras, I just save the shots to the SD card and plug the card into the PC. Works every time.

With my hearing aids, the Bluetooth in the PC was originally erratic so I invested in a dongle with the latest BT version and that worked fine.

Colin

RST

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 07:59:53 pm »

Re cameras, I just save the shots to the SD card and plug the card into the PC. Works every time.
...yes.  My own laptops have convenient card slots, work ones don't have them plus IT work policy plays havoc with card readers (long story).  You would think a machine running micro SD would be abe to read a micro USD card in a converter and vice versa etc but sadly not.
I think -getting back to my point, is that humanity seems to have a manic addiction to entropy that we can't seem to steer away from.  I fully embrace a standardisation in connectors -I wish all IEC leads were the same also but I appreciate why a figure of 8 can't be fitted into a cloverleaf -but at least they narrowed that one down on options!

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 05:34:27 am »

I sometimes use Bluetooth to send images, but mostly now I use the wifi to transmit images using my social media app.
I am not a pro photographer, and to be honest, my new phone has a much better twin lens (regular and macro) camera than my travel camera. As such I can use the file share facility on my social media app to send photos to myself over wifi, or using mobile data When I get home I just open my social media app on the PC and my photos are there, as well as on the phone app, and in the phone's picture folder. This is also more secure when travalling as I cannot lose pictures if my phone is lost or stolen.
There are several apps now that are free to use, free to send data, and I have yet to find the limit for files sizes. A few months ago I could share 9 images, recently it changed to 99 images (possibly due to 5G), which is a huge amount of data, with no data fee.
I can still use a physical connection, but rarely use it these days.
Like I say, I am not a pro-photographer, or a hobby photographer that plays with pro-editing tools. 20mp images are more than enough for my needs.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 11:24:54 am »

Apple have changed the plugs in the past, because they can. Have two I-pads with different charging sockets. One for a painful wide metal non reversable plug, tother with an equally painful 'Lightning' plug. Both whose chargers plug into a 'Standardized' 13A socket.

Regards Ian.

You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 01:48:31 am »

Apple have changed the plugs in the past, because they can. Have two I-pads with different charging sockets. One for a painful wide metal non reversable plug, tother with an equally painful 'Lightning' plug. Both whose chargers plug into a 'Standardized' 13A socket.

Regards Ian.

Apple will now have to change the plugs, because they have to. I remember people complained when the EU said phone chargers had to be standardized. However, things got easier and the result was not having to carry around multiple chargers. Standardizing the cables is another step on that path to simlifiy life, and make it cheaper.
I can now travel with just one charger, use if for everything, for my phone, camera, headphones, battery bank, toothbrush, shaver, bicycle lights, and probably something else I have forgotten. Currently I still need to carry different cables though.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 12:02:29 pm »

Rather a storm in a teacup, basically the EU choosing to dictate to manufacturers because they can. Even if all of my devices have the same connector I'm still going to be carrying several chargers  with several leads. If I am away I will have a number of devices to be charged at the same time, phone, watch, tablet, camera (normally at least 2 or 3 including 2 action cams) intercom in helmet and sometimes laptop. Most of these will be charged overnight at the same time so several chargers needed, I prefer to use the manufacturers charger instead of a generic clone as they are less likely to burst into flames during the night.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 09:49:04 am »

Unfortunately customers are held to ransom by SOME manufacturers due to 'hidden' costs. Classic example, printer ink cartridges. Changed mine to Constant Ink Supply System years ago and saved pounds, BUT no matter what legislation system is introduced, like F1, the teckies will find a loophole to shaft us with and no, you don't need to buy the cheapest alternative to achieve a cost saving.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 06:08:40 pm »

...Even if all of my devices have the same connector I'm still going to be carrying several chargers  with several leads. .
Jim

Hi Jim
If you travel a lot, have you though about getting a charging station? Most will charge about 5 or 6 devices at the same time.
Where I live a lot of cheap hotels only have one outlet in the rooms. I only carry a 55W speed charger and an adapter plug. The speed charger for my phone (32mins full charge from empty), and an adapter plug with 3 charging ports for everything else.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2022, 08:01:31 pm »

I did buy an adaptor for when travelling in Europe, this has 3 standard USB and a USB C socket. It is limited though by the total current output shared between the sockets. Also I don't totally trust it as it was rather cheap and I doubt its up to the quality of an OEM charger.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.