Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: odd situation  (Read 1047 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
odd situation
« on: October 09, 2022, 04:28:23 pm »

hi all.
i took my tyne life boat to my club water today for another test after changing the main switch for one that will handle the amps, all was good for some time, after having a small amount of rest time out of the water i put it out again, this time panic set in , just a few seconds in i lost control of the boat, it continued to the middle of the lake, made a few circles then sat there bobbing about,
any suggestion on the reason for this.
what safety measures can i interduce to my electrics to safe guard against this again

Trucker

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: odd situation
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 05:01:51 am »

Without knowing more it's difficult to say but it sounds as if the radio went into fail safe mode.   Perhaps low battery.   Is the new switch allowing far more current to be drawn from the battery?

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 12:55:22 pm »

If you are using a BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) then if the main battery voltage drops too low and there is not enough differentiation in voltage between the battery and BEC, the BEC will shut down and you will loose control.

This one of the reasons I never use a BEC although many people use them very successfully.

Cheers

Geoff

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 01:58:18 pm »

Thank you both for your answers, I believe I ran the battery down too low, test to check later, but is there some thing that can be added to the circuit that will stop the boat going out of control,
Trucker

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 02:54:08 pm »

What do the motor/s draw in amps and what is the capacity of your battery, that will give you some idea how long a run you will have. nemesis

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 04:01:51 pm »

Thank you both for your answers, I believe I ran the battery down too low, test to check later, but is there some thing that can be added to the circuit that will stop the boat going out of control,
Trucker
There are at least some controller which step down to slow speed when the accu power reaches a certain level.  Some alarms are also available which you can set to a destinct voltage when they should start making noise.The question is whatt kind of accu do you use?NiMH usually get slower and you have a chance to reach the shore. On the other han, I think you're talking about the Tyne which has 2 motors and needs a bit more power. 

I recently had the same problem when testing mine too much, need to find a solution too, because my (tank-)controller doesn't have that step down function.   Fortunately there would have been enough other boats and I also had more than one with me.Best,Joerg
Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.