Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley paddle boat  (Read 838 times)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Waverley paddle boat
« on: October 15, 2022, 04:34:57 pm »

Hi guys, just been to the Blackpool show purchased a 1947 Waverley paddle boat fibreglass hull 53” long.
Has anyone out there got a set of plans for this boat that l could buy from you or tell me
where I could obtain any from.

Much appreciated

John

john44

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley paddle boat
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 04:55:49 pm »

Hi again, apparently there was a plan in the 1990 model marine international April to May edition.
If anyone has that copy and could copy it for me that would be great.

Many thanks for looking

John

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 05:10:38 pm »

I don't have the issues but as I remember it there was an article that introduced the plan but there was not a free plan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 05:14:18 pm »

Sarik Hobbies have the plan:

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/waverley/

Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 07:20:49 pm »

Thanks Colin, I have found a 3 page plan at Cornwall model boats.
Thanks for the feedback.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 08:39:21 pm »

I'n building a paddler myself at the moment John.

Do bear in mind that classic paddlers like Waverley can be inherently unstable in model form unless you make exceptional efforts to build the tophamper as light as possible. The hulls are typically slim and shallow draught but have to support the weight of the paddle boxes and paddles plus all the accommodation structure. Plus the internal mechanics tend to have a higher centre of gravity than the conventional low mounted motor and propshaft.

My excursion paddler Bilsdale is based on a paddle tug design and has a high block coefficient (chunky hull). I added half an inch to the draught and also made the bottom of 1.5mm ply to allow the batteries to sit as low as possible. The model is now at the point where the moment of truth is approaching!

A large hull like yours will be more forgiving than my 35 inch Bilsdale but reducing weight and keeping it as low as possible remains the watchword!

Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 09:20:27 pm »

I know exactly what you mean Colin, I had a Glasgow paddler once and had to be careful other passing boats didn’t
swamp it. I think with this hull at 53” long and 6” deep when ballasted will be ok.
Your boat build is looking nice. One thing I didn’t know about the Waverley is that both paddles were fixed not
independent

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 10:44:12 pm »

Most excursion paddlers were fixed. Independent paddles were confined to paddle tugs and exceptionally, as in Bilsdale, to some excursion steamers.

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 11:52:25 am »

Linked paddles were a safety feature especially if the paddle steamer could be sailing in rougher water. E.G. the Waverly being sea going. With independant paddles there was always a risk of one of the paddles overspeeding if the ship rolled and one paddle left the water. When it rolled back and the overspeeding paddle hit the water again it could overstress the paddle causing it to break up leaving the steamer with only one paddle and out of control. To stop this happening both paddles were fixed to a single shaft so they had to rotate at the same speed. Paddle tugs were generally used in calm water such as harbours and being relatively wider had less risk of one paddle leaving the water on rolling so could use independant paddles for better manouverability.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.