Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 inch tv  (Read 3140 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
50 inch tv
« on: November 07, 2022, 03:40:09 pm »

how far do you have to seat from a 50   inch tv   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 50 inch tv
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 04:00:38 pm »

It depends on the individual Gordon. Around 6 or 7 feet is typically recommended for a 50 inch screen but otherwise whatever distance you are most comfortable with. If you have a high definition (4k) screen then you can sit closer. But a lot depends on your personal eyesight.

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 04:11:55 pm »

Height equally important middle of screen  at eye level when seated

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 04:37:21 pm »

You can bascially sit as close as you want. The distances that you see quoted are more to do with picture quality than anything else. If we take the the basic picture definitions of standard, high & 4k you can have any of them on the screen depending on what you are watching. If you sit too far from the screen you cannot tell the difference between high definition & 4k and it's this distance that is often quoted.

My guess is that many people who have their tv in a living room sit further from the screen that Colin's number would suggest. We sit nearly double that distance because of our room layout and the fact that we don't want/ can't afford a 75in screen that would be suggested for our viewing distance. If we had a home cinema or a games room we might see it differently.

Best advice is to decide where you want the TV and where you will sit. Measure the distance & go to Curry's (other brands available) & see what it looks like. One word of caution. TV's on demo in shops are often given very high definition pictures. Make sure that you are looking at something typical of what you will view.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 05:41:12 pm »

I have a 55 inch Sony and I sit about 10 feet from the screen which at times is a little to close, because the HD shows you to much detail at times. One thing though is that you will never be happy with a smaller screen again.

LB

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 05:44:49 pm »

The distances that you see quoted are more to do with picture quality than anything else.

Quite right! But no matter how good the picture quality is your viewing experience will be determined by how good your eyesight or glasses prescription is.

We have a 40 inch screen which is more than adequate for our viewing needs from anywhere in the room. We don't want the TV to be the dominant item.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 06:41:44 pm »

I’m 7ft from my Sony 65” OLED.
I would be closer but the settee has already made its footprints in the carpet.
5ft would be better for Maverick.
For non specific viewing like the news etc I'm happy 20ft away at the dining table.

In this picture the subjects are about life size.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 03:36:58 am »

We are just buying a new flatscreen TV and 50 inch seems to be the standard now. One thing I do strongly suggest is to mount it on the wall. They are now getting a bit too big to put in the corner of the room. Also if you don't use a TV cabinet, this will free up a lot of floor space and make your room look and feel much bigger.
Most of these TVs now have bluetooth, and if your laptop has bluetooth, you can run all of your entertainment wirelessly.
I know you don't like messing around with the tech side of things, but if your TV seller has an instalation service as an add on, it is well worth paying for the guys to come and install it, they should also set up your bluetooth for your too.
If you want a wired connection that can be done too, but you will then need a small cabinet for your DVD player to sit on.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 08:46:42 am »

I understand what is being said about wall mounting the TV but it doesn't work for us. Like it or not our chairs are basically aimed at the TV but we also like to be aimed at the window for the view. We can have the TV in the corner by the window & get both. Mount it on a wall and we lose the outside view.

One other thing to be aware of - viewing angle. Some screens readily allow you to sit other than directly in front of the TV whilst others loose picture quality very fast if you sit off centre. Make sure that you understand how you will watch the TV and test it accordingly in the shop.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 10:59:01 am »

" There were no wires when I saw it demonstrated in the shop!"   :D

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 09:44:17 pm »

I bought new TVs this time last year and smaller screen TVs frequently had less functions, or more to the point the functions were there but unavailable.  I say smaller as we chose a 49 inch one which had some functions suppressed.  Also I nearly rejected this TV as the legs were too far apart for my stand.  Then the sales lady pointed out I could buy a swivel attachment extra. 

I found cheaper on the internet and bought that, this enables the TV to swing through 90 degrees.  So we can look out of the window and adjust the TV to any angle we want.
Taranis are you a Strictly fan?  TVs never lie!!!!
Regards
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 09:49:32 pm »

Yes Roy 🫣
ANDY

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 09:58:20 pm »

So am I.  Had to give up ballroom and latin dancing 6 years ago as my knees could no longer deal with 3 dancing sessions a week.  But got in 25 years before that. 
I had danced Argentine Tango for 15 years and I do not often approve of some of the versions we see, however last week, Hmm, that was quite good.
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 10:01:10 pm »

She should have got four 10’s
ANDY

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2022, 10:10:46 pm »

I think I agree as it was all you expect from the dance.  The Argentine tango is not the only dance in that group there is the Milonga and the Tango waltz.  They are lovely dances I wonder if they will ever get onto Strictly.  I don't like the free dance and the American smooth is a foolish dance that I have never seen danced elseware.
Regards
Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 06:04:16 pm »

We don't have a flat  screen, we use a projector, so we can adjust the zoom, normally we have an 8ft screen (width, not corner to corner) and we are around 12ft away, we can make it wider but then you get tennis neck.... :-))

BTW..most projectors are cheaper than flat screens  :-)
Steamed up all the time

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 06:10:38 pm »

It’s not just size
OLED tvs specifically render black as black which all lesser TVs struggle to accomplish. This is very important for Ultra high definition.
The Sony use the LG panel as LG are the number 1
However Sony have the far better processor to take advantage of that.
The Sony panel is thicker than the LG because Sony incorporate the speakers in the screen so the sound follows the action. I could never go smaller it has taken a decade to progress from 32 to 65 🏆

From 20ft it looks just as good
ANDY

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 06:31:08 pm »

Good point Andy, but then my wife is an ex sound engineer so we have a BOSE 5.1 acustomast sound system connected to our fire stick (surround sound you know----I know noting--I was a theatre lighting director) but it works for us, anyway I am in the workshop most of the time... :}  and apparently it works for Steph watching Eastenders (hence workshop)...not to mention Emerdale......back to the build.... O0
Steamed up all the time

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2022, 06:37:03 pm »

{-) :-))
ANDY

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2022, 07:40:11 pm »

gordon spent all afternoon  looking at 50 inch tv at 94 yrs old next month i was a bit baffield which is the best one must have phono jack  for head phones about 400 pds   

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 11:30:25 pm »

Does anyone have experience of mounting a tv on a party wall. Does it increase the sound penetration to next door compared to having the TV free standing? I guess that you could use a free standing sound bar but is it really necessary?

AndyG63

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 02:37:19 am »

gordon spent all afternoon  looking at 50 inch tv at 94 yrs old next month i was a bit baffield which is the best one must have phono jack  for head phones about 400 pds   

Ex TV camera operator, here. Space size limited us to 55", viewed from ten feet away. But it's plenty. We spent hours in the shop checking out the quality of the blacks. At 4k and above, any picture quality will be phenomenal at this size, but solid black/shadows is hard for LED. But we got one: a Samsung. Fits the space with 1cm to spare, and looks awesome.

My hearing is shot (I did say ex TV camera operator!) so I paired it with a soundbar which works well enough. These typically can all Bluetooth to headphones, so you can forget cables. Indeed, don't even bother.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 07:02:05 am »

Andy

As your hearing is shot I am guessing that you have problems hearing the spoken word that we do. Which sound bar did you decide helped with that problem?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 08:32:54 am »

Hi Andy I would be interested as well.  I bought an LG 43 inch TV for another room and I also bought an amplifier with speakers close to where I sit.  I used them for a while but after a bit realised that they were not quite as good as the speakers in the TV.  Also going into the settings and turning up the speech amplification works very well.
I would also like another different pair of blue tooth over ear speakers.  As my hearing has reduced over the years I do not need all the bells and whistles associated with high performance.  But I would like a cheap set but they all seem to be £50 or more.
I shall be looking at items on Black Friday!

Regards
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 10:21:03 am »

Andy  Gordon  only wants /needs connected headphones he has been on about this for ages and on other posts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.