Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power unit for Century Thunderbolt  (Read 1240 times)

GarthT

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Power unit for Century Thunderbolt
« on: November 18, 2022, 06:40:55 am »

Some time ago I acquired an early Mack Legend kit of this boat. I made a start and put it aside, but I now plan to build it this winter. The boat is 31.5 inches long. Mack sell a power unit which is a 3660-1650 water-cooled motor (I assume inrunner)  and a120 A esc. However they don't have a UK distributor and, in any case it seems expensive.  I also wonder if it's more power than is really needed for a scale model.

Also I'd like to avoid water-cooling if possible,  particularly since I wouldn't intend to run it for very long periods.  I've looked at the Hobbyking range of outrunners but it's  a bit of a jungle.  I've also looked at Overlander gear but their escs are not reversible. Any suggestions? Also battery and prop.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Power unit for Century Thunderbolt
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 10:23:08 am »

Hi Garth

I'm using Overlander motors in all my builds and would say one of their 35mm diameter motors would fit the bill. One between 900 and 1200kv, as 1650kv is a bit high for the type of boat, would provide more torque.

I haven't run the boats yet but did a lot of reading on forums etc. before arriving at my choices. Like you I wanted to avoid water cooling and the motors are over size so that they don't work hard.

I wanted to use their ESCs as well but as you say they don't do reversing ones. So I've standardised on the HobbyWing Quicrun and Seaking ones - from Wheelspin Models for example.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 10:33:13 am »

Hi Garth

I use the Hobby king 35mm 3648-1450kv with a car 120A ESC with reverse in my Huntsman.

Prop 42mm two blade.

Runs a good speed on 3S, 4S fast and on 4S Nano Tech dam quick.

Using the same setup in my MFA Spearfish, Solent Spear and Spear boats which I am building at present.

Hobbyking is having a special on these, under half price !!!

No water cooling required.

Harry

GarthT

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 04:51:42 pm »

Thanks Chris and Harry for your input.

I couldn't find the particular Hobby King motor mentioned but there's a whole range of 35mm outrunners, for example, Turnigy SK3 3542-1250kv. Would that do the trick with a 3s lipo do you think?   

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 06:49:42 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

GarthT

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 07:02:12 pm »

I found Harry's recommendation but it's out of stock.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 07:10:10 pm »

Hi GarthT,

Have a look these [size=78%]https://www.noahsrcark.co.uk/products/d686c441fe/131444000002103405[/size] also have a look at my post of Vintage SX100 tunnel hull that use there outboard which uses this motor. I’m running it with a 120a ESC and 14.8v 4c battery packs.
Regards David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 09:44:08 pm »

Dave - I don't think that is suitable for the type of boat Garth has and the way he is going to use it - educated guess, tootling around with some higher speed runs, like me and my Faireys, the kv is too high, alright for a race boat like yours, and it's an inrunner which are generally better for high revs.

Garth - Harry and Zooma both use the motor that Harry mentioned. It tends to go in and out of stock. Bear in mind Harry is a speed freak!

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.