Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ocean Scratch Build  (Read 14952 times)

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Ocean Scratch Build
« on: November 20, 2022, 07:01:57 pm »

Hi All,

Now I've finally finished my 1:96 frigate, I want to build something to go with it, but also something a bit different. Therefore I've chosen the previous Royal Navy Flag Ship HMS Ocean. A helicopter landing platform.  She was decommissioned back in 2018 then sold on to the Brazilian Navy and is still active today.

As there are no hulls available for this model (from what I'm aware) I have no choice but to make this this my first scratch build. Already just looking at the shape of the hull on the real thing I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for. But I'll have a go and see what happens.

The keel and frames have been made from 9mm ply (when measured was actually 8.2mm) as I felt this would be more sturdy thoughout the whole building process than 5mm. Due to concerns on weight and integrity, the frames were cut as narrow as I dared. Once the hull is complete I plan on removing the majority of the tops of the frames. Although I will leave a couple to use as handles, hopefully making it easier to lower and raise from the lake.

This is as far as I've got for the time being she comes in at  2114mm long x 364mm wide and just about fits in the car. 

Cheers,

Dan

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Ocean Scratch Build
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 07:12:56 pm »

Well Dan, you've certainly made a good start and I hope it all goes well for you.
It'll be great to follow your progress  :-))

Ray.

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 08:21:41 pm »

Thankyou Ray! I’ll post updates when I have something worth showing. I’m no expert so things might not be done the way they should be but we’ll see what happens. I’ll always welcome any advice and/or constructive criticism. There’s a lot for me to learn on this build.  :-))

Cheers,

Dan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 10:45:00 pm »

OH WELL DONE Dan  i know you said you was thinking of doin this ship but i tbh dint think you would but im really  pleased to be proven wrong m8  this should be a cracker if you can build her an watch that top weight an i hope you will have a few things workin on her an if you need any help at all on something just give me a shout an i will try an help you if i can as after building my nimitz carrier i dont think there is to much i dont know on building carriers an i will be following your build dan an good luck  :-))  ps its looking good what you have done already great stuff  pps dan dont forget to do your cutout in the hul frames for the quadronts to fit in to give the hull strenght  an i see you not doin a hull jiont then ?

chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 08:08:37 am »

Many thanks Chris! I got my hands on the drawings and thought I best start it immediately before I talk myself out of it.
I do have a few things planned. The main one being the deck lift. I've been looking at ways I can get this lowering into the hanger and back up. I will be putting plenty of lights on it, maybe look at lowing one of the landing craft too depending on how strong I can make the davits.
I'll be strengthen the hull over the next few days hopefully, then look at getting it covered. There are alot of openings in the hull on this ship, 4 large ones for landing craft. So I'll be looking the strengthen the hull in these areas in particular.
I was very close to making it in two parts and splitting the hull, but I can fit the full length into the car with a bit of room to spare so I decided to build as one in the end.

Cheers

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 09:31:31 am »

WELL GOOD LUCK Dan  :-))  an take it easy dont try try to hurry it an it will come ATB ps an for your lift ive seen the idea of a scirror jack work by an eletric motor  if the lift is in the ship centre  :-))
Chrisb

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 09:48:25 am »

JUST thinkin Dan are you goin to plank the hull or do a wrap round like i did but its a pity you did not tell me you was doin this build as really your base board should be covered in 2 inch wide strips of shiny selotape as when covering the hull sometimes there is glue drops down onto the bottom hull frames an glues the hull frames to the base board an if that happens well you wont be able to get your hull off the base board thats why i put on shiny selotape so the glue wont stick your hull down  but thats my opinion but see how you get on an have good look inside the hull for glue drops quite freqently
ATB
CHRISB  :-))

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 10:57:19 am »

I was thinking of using a motor to drive the scissor lift Chris but then I saw another way using a servo and some syringes. Quite a simple set up but looks effective. When I'm in a position to fit the lift I'll look into different ways in greater depth.

I think the bow will be planked but I'll then wrap midships and the stern mainly due to the shape of it.
That's a good tip for the tape on the board. Once I've re-enforced the frames, I can remove it off the base board to fit tape so there's no issues there. Thanks for the suggestion! Can I ask what thickness ply you used? I was going to use 0.8mm?

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 11:24:03 am »

I was thinking of using a motor to drive the scissor lift Chris but then I saw another way using a servo and some syringes. Quite a simple set up but looks effective. When I'm in a position to fit the lift I'll look into different ways in greater depth.

I think the bow will be planked but I'll then wrap midships and the stern mainly due to the shape of it.
That's a good tip for the tape on the board. Once I've re-enforced the frames, I can remove it off the base board to fit tape so there's no issues there. Thanks for the suggestion! Can I ask what thickness ply you used? I was going to use 0.8mm?

HI again Dan very wise deceion yes remove the hull once qaudrons are fitted an fit that selotape as if you look on my early pics you will see the shiny tape fitted down on the base board  an thickness of plywood was 1/32nd ply sheet an when you have firbre glass it inside it will be very strong  as it bends very easy   but  dont forget to paint the outer hull with  sandin sealer severall coats to make the hull water proff  but if you use 1/16th ply sheet it wont bend at all an very hard work so 1/32nd  sheet ply is the  best bet GOOD LUCK im really lookin forward to seein you build this great work so far Dan
ATB
Chrisb

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 02:07:19 pm »

Excellent Model choice Dan.
When Ocean first came into service I was not a Fan of her looks. However, having seen her at Devonport over several years, she grew on me.
I am looking forward to following your progress.
Nige

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 08:12:37 am »

Thanks Chris! Yes I'll make sure to seal the hull well. And thanks for confirming the thickness of the sheet, much appreciated  :-))

Excellent Model choice Dan.
When Ocean first came into service I was not a Fan of her looks. However, having seen her at Devonport over several years, she grew on me.
I am looking forward to following your progress.
Nige

Thanks Nige I'm hoping the build is useful and enjoyed by a few. I like the fact she's slightly different looking. And that's what I wanted to build, something slightly different.

Thanks again!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 08:55:35 am »

Thanks Chris! Yes I'll make sure to seal the hull well. And thanks for confirming the thickness of the sheet, much appreciated  :-))

Thanks Nige I'm hoping the build is useful and enjoyed by a few. I like the fact she's slightly different looking. And that's what I wanted to build, something slightly different.

Thanks again!

THATS OK Dan pleased to help you in anyway i can  an yes thats why i built my tiger as she was something different  as some people dont like her in the helo carrier vershion but i think  she look great as the R/N had plenty of gun ships at the time but no helo carrier an thats why they converted her an the same thinkin again on your OCEAN as helo's now are deadly wepons to sub's an such  hence the helo carrier well done R/N  :-))
chrisb

Tworrs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 05:16:41 pm »

Great progress so far Dan, I'll be following along with your build.
ATB
Garry

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 10:06:08 pm »

HI DAN anything more done on her ?
chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 10:34:02 pm »

Hi Chris,

Very slow progress due to work and family. This is her current state. There are so many sharp lines on this hull, Im going to ply it section by section to try and replicate the lines as accurately as possible. Hopefully I'll get another good go at it over Christmas.

I've also been working on the electrical workings for the deck lift. I've made good progress with this but will put photos up later on in the build.

Cheers

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 10:02:20 am »

HI Dan lookin very good indeed an i see you are doin a ply wrap round how i did as i fInd it a lot easyier than plank on frame an you wont have so many holes to fill up afterwards very well done lookin forward to more on this when you can do it ALL THE BEST FOR A NICE XMAS AN NEW YR
CHRIS AN JEN  :-))

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2022, 09:15:24 pm »

Thanks Chris! I may have to do a bit of planking towards the bow, or possibly shape some balsa block. But I'll tackle this in a few weeks.  :-))

Thanks Chris, All the best to both of you!

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 02:15:29 pm »

Bit of an update. The hull has been covered. Took a bit longer than anticipated but it's now ready for filling, shaping and sanding. The majority of it was done in individual sections as I found this easier to bend the 0.8mm ply to the shape of the hull frames. The transition between frames made for some interesting shapes to be cut but once bent round the frames, they'd fit really nice.
I did find I was having to add more supports between the frames for the panels to be fixed. In hindsight I should have realised this before I started panelling.

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 02:25:38 pm »

I was about half way through panelling the hull and this particular area (I'm sure there's a correct name for it but I don't know it) and I wasn't happy with the way it looked. The real ship has some unique crisp lines, but mine didn't. I had got carried away and not followed the correct shape whilst panelling and simply folded a whole sheet over the frames which where shaped to incorporate the crisp line. So I had to cut away and try and make good of my mistake. I think I just about got away with it

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 02:31:40 pm »

And this is where I'm at now. You'll notice the bow isn't flush to the base board, but I'll be making this good when the deck goes on. I had a right headache trying to work out the correct shape of the ply that was needed to wrap round. Nothing a bit of filler and more ply won't sort out.

For a first attempt at something like this, I'm fairly happy with the results

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
    • La mini-flotte de Lamiral67
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 02:42:13 pm »

Hi!

I will follow your building ...What kind of wood for the hull ?

Tworrs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 06:44:15 pm »

Wow Dan, you can be justifiably proud of your efforts, that hull has turned out really good.
Garry

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 07:15:15 pm »

That's fantastic progress you've made and when the hull gets filled and sanded smooth you will have a good looking ships hull :-))

Ray.

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2023, 07:29:15 pm »

Hi!

I will follow your building ...What kind of wood for the hull ?

Hi Chris, thanks!  The ply is 1/32nd or 0.8mm ply

And thank you both Gary and Ray for you kind words!  :-))

Cheers,

Dan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 09:03:40 pm »

HI Dan lookin very good now for the hard part of sealin the hull an all the sandin down but are you goin to F/G her inside ? an may be out side ? how long is she as when this is all finished she will be heavy as if not she wont sit right in the water as it took 50 pound of batt wheight to get my tiger down to where i wanted her but very well done  :-))  AN MY TIGER i nearly finished just a few more bits to fit on
Chrisb
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.