Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ocean Scratch Build  (Read 16648 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Ocean Scratch Build
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2023, 10:10:28 pm »

OH CONGRATS Dan on your second littlen tell your wife well done from jen an i
ATB to you an your family
chrisb

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2023, 11:11:51 am »

Congratulations Dan! It is a he or she?

The hull looks great now you have popped a coat of primer over all that effort in fairing. The hole cutting will be fun as it marks the beginning of all the detailing and building ahead.

Pond weed is your enemy

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2023, 07:39:11 pm »

Thank you both very much! A little boy this time, so that's one of each.

And I am looking forward to doing something other than sanding now! I'm glad to see the back of it  {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2023, 05:26:45 pm »

It is a chore we endure to advance, and I reckon it is like a test of enthusiasm for the project as a whole.

Hooray! One of each. That's fab Dan.
Pond weed is your enemy

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2023, 09:54:11 pm »

Evening all,

I've managed to sneak out the house for a hour to build some rudders and fit the running gear.

The rudders started off as bits of 9mm ply. The shape of the rudders drawn onto each face and simply sanded into shape on my bench sander. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of this process but it can be seen in my next video of the build.

The running gear was then fitted and was fairly straightforward taking measurements from the centerline of the hull to insure everything was installed symmetrically. Next will be to fill around the shaft and A frames. Then moving on to cutting out the openings in the hull and the installation of the bow thruster.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2023, 08:00:20 am »

HI young Dan  very nice work on your props an rudder fittments well done my freind but as you are at this point of the build please dont make the mistake that i have done make sure u can fit bigger props if needed as when ocean is finished she will be heavy like my tiger as u got to be to make her sit down in the water proberly as that wide big hull will be very bouyant like my tiger was an will require a lot of wheight to make her sit down to her W/L  AN LOOKIN at your rudders
fittings i cant see any rubber seals to stop water ingress on them
ATB
chrisb :-))

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2023, 04:25:12 pm »

Dan can you tell me where you bought your props from ?
chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2023, 04:44:36 pm »

Hi Chris, I've seen your predicament with your props, hope you get it sorted without too much hassle! Fortunately if needed I can easily go up a extra 10mm in diameter with mine. I've gone for the size on the drawings which is 45mm although did question myself if I may need to go bigger. I won't know until I get it on the lake.
The props were made by George at Sitek props. I explained what I was building and what I needed and he was very helpful and there was a quick turnaround. So I was pleased, also very pleased with the quality too.
You have a good eye, there isn't any rubber seals on the rudders yet but there will be  :-))

Cheers

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2023, 04:28:23 am »

HI again Dan could you please tell me the no. of the props an pitch of yours  they look just like i need an are they 4mm thread ? an gorge sitecks phone no. cheers
chrisb  :-))

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2023, 10:57:43 am »

I've sent you a message with the contact info Chris  :-))

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2023, 01:11:19 pm »

I've sent you a message with the contact info Chris  :-))

cheers Dan many thanks ive just sent him an email but did u pay by paypal ?

chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2023, 09:45:57 pm »

A small update. Installation of the stabilizers.

I plan on having these working off a gyro. I doubt they'll make any difference to the performance, it's more of a I'll do it because why not.
These were shaped from solid bits of ply (didn't actually take photos of the before) then a nut glued in the entrence.ofnthe drilled hole to take the threaded shaft just so I didn't rely entirely on the epoxy holding the rods in the stabilizer. These won't retract into the hull but I have included the cut out in the hull just so it looks like the full size ship.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2023, 10:47:51 am »

WELL done Dan my freind them stabs look good an you maybe  suprised at how good the stabs work as mine work quite good on all my ships but i must admit i make mine a bit overscale so they do bite in the water to help stability lovely work keep it comin  :-))
chrisb

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2023, 01:50:07 pm »

Wow that is some advanced boat modelling tech there! I can see how you could have them retract and still work without too much trouble but its making everything watertight or leak minimal that would be a challenge.

Lovely job Dan!
Pond weed is your enemy

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2023, 09:53:02 pm »

WELL done Dan my freind them stabs look good an you maybe  suprised at how good the stabs work as mine work quite good on all my ships but i must admit i make mine a bit overscale so they do bite in the water to help stability lovely work keep it comin  :-))
chrisb

Thanks Chris, it'll be interesting to see if it does make a difference, I'll try it with and without the gyro turned on to see if theres a noticeable difference.

Wow that is some advanced boat modelling tech there! I can see how you could have them retract and still work without too much trouble but its making everything watertight or leak minimal that would be a challenge.

Lovely job Dan!

Thank you! There are a few ways I could make them retractable and I was tempted but like you say, keeping it watertight may be bit of a struggle. So getting them to rotate is enough stress for me :D Thanks again

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2023, 08:01:16 pm »

You are doing a fantastic job  :-))
Everything is neat and tidy and looks well planned out. Keep up the excellent work.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2023, 10:00:12 pm »

You are doing a fantastic job  :-))
Everything is neat and tidy and looks well planned out. Keep up the excellent work.

Thank you very much for your kind words Nick!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2023, 07:22:06 am »

Dan very well done on them stabs very neat an ive never seen this giro that you are thinkin of fittin that will work them stabs is this what they call a sub teck ? an a link to it please as ive never seen them
ATB PS hope your new little un is happy an ok
chrisb  :-))

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2023, 08:39:20 pm »

Thanks Chris. The gyro is a 3 axis electronic gyro that I've used in RC planes to keep them flying straight and level. The ailerons on the plane are very similar to the stabilizers on the ship. As the plane rolls the gyro controls the ailerons to keep the plane level which is exactly what I want the ship stabilizers to do.  So I'll simply plug my stabiliser servos into the aileron channel. There's probably sub stabilisers I could use but I know how to work these ones so sticking with what I know in hope I can transfer the function from a plane to a ship.
The gyro is £15 on eBay if you search 3 axis gyro

And little lad is doing great thank you!

Cheers  :-))

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2023, 09:02:42 pm »

Thanks Chris. The gyro is a 3 axis electronic gyro that I've used in RC planes to keep them flying straight and level. The ailerons on the plane are very similar to the stabilizers on the ship. As the plane rolls the gyro controls the ailerons to keep the plane level which is exactly what I want the ship stabilizers to do.  So I'll simply plug my stabiliser servos into the aileron channel. There's probably sub stabilisers I could use but I know how to work these ones so sticking with what I know in hope I can transfer the function from a plane to a ship.
The gyro is £15 on eBay if you search 3 axis gyro

And little lad is doing great thank you!

Cheers  :-))

OK CHEERS DAN
CHRISB

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2023, 01:40:38 pm »

Just bought one of these Gyros on Ebay Dan for AUD$21. Hope to do some bench testing soon, thanks for the tip.
Nige

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2023, 10:44:49 pm »

Hi Dan
Hope you don't mind me throwing this at you on your thread.  This is the same as I fitted into HMS Tiger to control the stabilisers, and your post has promoted me to have a go again.
Question I assume that ail 1 and 2 connect in our case to port and starboard servos to control the stabilisers, but were does the ail link go?  Stabilisers at present are linked to the rudders, so will it be that channel, if so does it mean I need an extra channel?
It was a long time ago when I set them up in Tiger.

Regards

Bob

I will finish this model

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2023, 01:13:16 pm »

Apologies for the late reply gents!

Just bought one of these Gyros on Ebay Dan for AUD$21. Hope to do some bench testing soon, thanks for the tip.
Nige

Please let me know how you get on Nige!

Hi Dan
Hope you don't mind me throwing this at you on your thread.  This is the same as I fitted into HMS Tiger to control the stabilisers, and your post has promoted me to have a go again.
Question I assume that ail 1 and 2 connect in our case to port and starboard servos to control the stabilisers, but were does the ail link go?  Stabilisers at present are linked to the rudders, so will it be that channel, if so does it mean I need an extra channel?
It was a long time ago when I set them up in Tiger.

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob, again sorry for the delayed reply!
I've not used your gyro before but I'm assuming the aileron link from the RX plugs into AIL and then your two servos plug into the AIL 1 and AIL 2. So you shouldn't need any more channels but you will probably need to set it up on your transmitter too.

Where as the one I'm using only has one aileron output on the gyro so im going to have to find a way to use the one channel for a servo on each stabilizer.

Cheers, Dan

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2023, 02:13:03 pm »

Dan thanks for reply, problem with  that gyro it simply gives a kick to the offending part, I had hoped for something more proportional so that as the hull rights itself the gyro reasserts itself, maybe someone reading this might know more.  using one servo could you not put and arm on it so that as gyro kicks in it pushes one forward and pulls the other back ?

Bob
I will finish this model

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2023, 05:57:25 pm »

Could you not use a sub self leveller but use it across the hull
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.