Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IC club near Nottingham?  (Read 2230 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
IC club near Nottingham?
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:25:46 pm »

Via email to Mayhem....

Hello my name is Alan and I've just purchased a model boat I think its a cabin cruser but im not sure I've enclosed a photo so if you could tell me wat it is that would be a great help. But my problem is this the engine had ceased an was removed but it is under going a conversion to transplant a 23cc strimmer engine in to it so firstly wher can I run it (i live in nottingham) and is it legal to use and do I need insurance?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Re: IC club near Nottingham?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:46:21 pm »

I stand to be corrected but I believe the only place to sail I.C. in Nottingham is at Colwick Park with the Nottm Model Boat Club.

Certainly not at Papplewick, or Notts University.

FLJ will know for sure.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:51 pm »

I stand to be corrected but I believe the only place to sail I.C. in Nottingham is at Colwick Park with the Nottm Model Boat Club.

Yep - that's my best information too, Colin. It isn't against any national statute to run an I/C boat but local authorities have by-laws prohibiting them from most waters. The other law to consider is the frequency; you can use 27Mhz, 40 Mhz or 2.4Gb (there's also an old UHF frequency - was it 475?), but NOT 35Mhz, which is strictly only for aircraft.
As regards insurance, a 23cc strimmer engine whirling a prop could do a lot of damage if it hit someone; you can't stop it just by letting go of the Tx stick like you can with an electric-powered model. In these days of instant litigation it would only be sensible to take out some third-party insurance. Like the man said, let's be careful out there.
FLJ

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:22:19 am »

If you join a club then you normally get insurance included with the subscription, or you can join the MPBA. We do allow IC on our Water near Burton on Trent, although we try to limit it as the water is in a nature reserve. Look at http://www.burtonmodelboatclub.org.uk

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.