Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix 1/24 Spitfire  (Read 1360 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Airfix 1/24 Spitfire
« on: November 29, 2022, 12:26:03 pm »

I stumbled across this pair of Youtube videos the other day.  They are pretty long, so you might want to skip through, although the one on how a modern kit is designed and produced is quite interesting (to me at least!).  I was pleasantly surprised to find that Airfix are designing and producing their kits in this country.  I had always assumed that the entire process was now done abroad.  (Although the actual tooling is made in China despite the capability being available here - cost-cutting rules!)

From drawings to tooling

Factory tour

I haven't tried a plastic kit for many decades and I was seriously impressed with the amount of detail packed into a model like this.  I then went to see what it costs.   :o :o   That's a bit more than Woolies used to charge!  (The RRP is nearly £100.)  I guess these are kits intended to have a considerable amount of time spent on them, not just a weekend or so. 

Greg

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Airfix 1/24 Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 03:24:59 pm »

Hornby: A Model World  on Freeview Episode 5 or on line on https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/hornby-a-model-world/watch-online
 :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 04:25:58 pm »

As someone who has recently bought (and started) the new 1/24 Spitfire I can say it’s a fantastic bit of kit! I’m friends with a modeller who works for Airfix Model World and is also friends with the Airfix company designers- she often builds test shots for them- she built the second test shot 1/24 Hellcat for Airfix and the magazine.
The next level of injection moulding technology used to create the panted effect of stressed skin panels is absolutely stunning.
It says on the box rather proudly that it’s designed and produced in the UK. The quality of the plastic is also a dramatic improvement over previous releases too. All the kits are designed in the UK and the kits up to this one were made in India. So it appears that Airfix is coming home with regards to manufacturing.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 04:44:02 pm »

Just watched the attached video and my mate Jen was at the same event! She said she felt like a proper journalist!

If you join the Airfix club you can get the kit for £85 with the club discount and I have to say seeing the kit and the plastic for real it’s a proper designed and well made kit. The nice inclusions of a full Merlin engine, all guns, and a fully detailed cockpit and undercarriage make this a winner for Airfix and to be honest for the amount of plastic it’s certainly worth the asking money. I just hope to do the kit justice!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 09:23:13 pm »

Much as I admire the Spitfire, I have just ordered the Corgi 1:1250 HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier at £62 delivered compared with £189 from one of the mainstream diecast model ship manufacturers. It will fit in ncely with my collection.

Colin

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 02:52:40 pm »

Blimey Coin, sounds like a real rip off company at £189, its list price is only £69.  Shows it pays to be careful.

Bob
I will finish this model

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 12:56:02 am »

I got an Arifix 1:24 Spitfire model one Xmas back in the early 70s. I cannot remember how much there were, but I remember feeling like a very lucky boy because they were extremely expensive. One hundred pounds might sound like a lot of money, especially to those of us whose first weekly wage was much less than that, but realistically, what will a 'ton' buy in today's world?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 12:02:42 pm »

Blimey Coin, sounds like a real rip off company at £189, its list price is only £69.  Shows it pays to be careful.

Sorry Bob, I should have made it clear. The £189.00 model is by the German firm of Albatros which is to a higher standard than the Corgi model but not so much better that I would consider paying that much for it, especially as the main feature is a flat deck!

Corgi: https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Corgi-CC75000-Queen-Elizabeth-Class-Carrier-Aircraft-Model-11250th_CC75000_N106604911

Albatros: https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Albatros-Alk318A-HMS-Prince-of-Wales-R09-aircraft-carrier-11250_Alk318A_N108538063

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 10:25:40 pm »

So Colin says......" have just ordered the Corgi 1:1250 HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier".........would be interesting Colin, on receipt if you could post an image of the externals of the propeller drive shaft and any couplings installed, but in the alternate thread

This may be more accurate than any image we see of the repairs to the sister HMS Prince of Wales  %)

Derek....[sorry about the poor-quality image {-) ]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.