Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No International Model Boat Show 2023  (Read 6654 times)

Meridienne Exhibitions Lt

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
No International Model Boat Show 2023
« on: February 06, 2023, 02:07:51 pm »

Good Afternoon,

We are sorry to announce that the International Model Boat Show will not be returning in 2023.

We know this is disappointing for many of our visitors and exhibitors who have enjoyed the show since it started in 1997. 

Post covid, we find ourselves in a very different environment which when coupled with the declining attendance of both trade exhibitors and visitors, leads us sadly to arrive at this decision. 

We want to thank everyone who has supported and enjoyed the show over the years.

The Meridienne Team

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: International Model Boat Show 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 03:45:03 pm »

<:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 05:26:51 pm »

Indeed  <:( <:( <:(
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 05:50:23 pm »

And then there was one - Blackpool.

General modelling and craft shows would seem to be the only viable way forward.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 06:05:42 pm »

I can't say that I am surprised but it is so sad.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 06:27:41 pm »

Meridienne's 3 other modelling exhibitions are going ahead as usual !?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 06:55:54 pm »

Meridienne's 3 other modelling exhibitions are going ahead as usual !?

Yes, but the model boating one is no longer finanically viable, not enough traders or visitors. The writing was on the wall before Covid. Basically it is just age related for traders, club stand representatives and paying visitors. I used to make a day visit to the Warwick show. I now have an eye condition affecting driving which mean that it would have to entail an overnight stay in the vicinity so quite an expensive visit.

Modellers in their late sixties and seventies are less willing to man club stands than in their younger days. An enlarged prostate can make sitting around on club stands uncomfortable to say the least, especially when you are far from home.That is the reality unfortunately. People get old, horizons close in. The average age of model boater these days is 65+.

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 07:10:10 pm »

That's hard to read, Colin, but I have to admit that you're right. I can remember cheerfully manning a club stand at the ME nearly 30 years ago and then going to work a full shift, and back the following day. My last birthday was the 'magic' 65th, and I certainly wouldn't fancy that now!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 07:18:20 pm »

Dave, yes, same with me as I was involved for many years with the MEX organisation and judging and holding down a full time job at the same time. We had more energy then. Make the most of being 65 and do as much as you can with your life. I will be 75 in April and the horizons are closing in a bit now! Just glad we did all our bucket list travelling when we did as a lot of it would not be realistically possible now.

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 08:33:06 am »

Thanks, Colin - I was able to take early retirement a few years ago, so have managed to spend some of my time on things I enjoy. Somehow, though, it seems to take me a lot longer to finish a model than it used to!

Back on topic, I used to find the shows helped to top up my enthusiasm, other than Sunday mornings at my local club and forums, I have very little contact with other modellers these days.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 10:49:26 am »

Yes you are both right the hobby of model boating is in rapid decline so are the traders. Future commercial shows must adapt to encompass all aspects of model building this is quite clearly seen at Blackpool. I terms of manning club stands i am fast approaching 74 and still enjoy manning the club stand.I do appreciate health and age can influence manning club stands in the future. :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 11:25:02 am »

Some personal thoughts...

The news that the Warwick International Model Boat Show will not be returning represents a body blow to the hobby. For years it has been regarded as the flagship model boating exhibition and being situated near Leamington its location has been central to England and generally accessible from most parts of the country. Its absence reflects the overall decline of the hobby as model boaters grow older and are less willing or able to man club stands and travel considerable distances to attend shows.

However, the writing has been on the wall for years now with an aging demographic of model boaters and an absence of younger modellers to replace them. The hobby has not managed this situation well when it comes to staging exhibitions and events. It has been obvious for many years the younger generations don’t have the same enthusiasm for model making than their fathers and have other interests to occupy them. Times change. This has resulted in an accelerating decline in model boating and the events associated with it.

Ten years ago there were many national model boating shows and exhibitions all over the UK but with the loss of Warwick we are left with just the Blackpool show. It is a dramatic collapse but with hindsight fully foreseeable. There were too many shows pursuing too few visitors and traders. One popular trader remarked to me that he couldn’t just keep loading up the van every weekend to drive all over England.

For years, event organisers have tended to plough their own furrows independently of each other and this has resulted in slicing attendances to unviable levels for the individual shows, ultimately resulting in their demise. For example, the long established London Model Engineer Exhibition was challenged by Meridienne’s rival event to the detriment of both. The obvious answer was to join forces but the organisers couldn’t agree. For several years there were two shows near Liverpool just a few miles apart, each undermining the other. Smaller shows and events in nearby areas were often arranged on clashing dates and suffered accordingly. Suggestions that shows might be merged were often resisted and the result was that a whole lot of them fell off a cliff at around the same time and this was before the effect of Covid.

Only belatedly is it being realised that single interest shows no longer have a future and diversification is needed. It is the only way forward really. When it comes to model making (and crafts) it is probably true to say that most of us have wider interests than just boats and either pursue them or take an interest in them. I don’t have time or space for model railways but love seeing them at general modelling exhibitions. At Leonardslee Gardens near Horsham, Sussex there is an incredible Dolls House Museum with some stunning exhibits which any modeller can appreciate.

Brighton Modelworld covered just about all types of modelling and many craft subjects and is the sort of thing we need today. Unfortunately it became financially unviable due to the expensive venue, eye watering parking charged by a council which hates cars and of course by its location on the South Coast which is on the wrong side of London and limited the potential footfall. A show like that up at Warwick would be able to tap a much wider customer base although the existing venue would be a bit small.

Will any of this happen? I’m not holding my breath….

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 12:41:33 pm »

I have just read and replied to this post in the 'other place', would it worthwhile or wrong of me to repeat it here. I am not sure what proportion of Mayhemers are read that one.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 12:51:35 pm »

I'd put it on here Dave, more people will see it.

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 12:58:24 pm »

Ok, Colin, here it is:

When did Sandown Park model show come to an end? That covered several modelling disciplines, was not hard to get to except for those living in the far north, and had easy parking.

Wings and Wheels has advertised their usual show in June at North Weald, hopefully there will be a few marine traders and exhibitors there to make the queue to get into the car park worth while (that was my experience some years ago).

I am in full agreement that muti-discipline shows are the way forward, even if the marine section is overwhelmed by the aircraft. We have a lot in common, including tools and materials. I am sure I am far from being alone in having spent a number of years flying models before returning to sailing them, so the displays are still of interest.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 01:04:35 pm »

Well said Dave  :-)) :-))
Regards David

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 01:47:09 pm »

Sandown was a pretty good venue for the Model Engineer Exhibition with regard to facilities but there was a perception with a lot of people that it was the wrong side of London and thus difficult to get to. Not altogether true unless you fell foul of delays on the M25 which was difficult to avoid.

It was a cheaper venue than the London sites when the charge to traders at Olympia proved just too much for them.

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 02:20:20 pm »

I was living abroad when the ME moved to Sandown, but was thinking more of the big show there in the spring, with everyone from Hanno Prettner and his amazing flying skills to Alan Miller patiently building a Dean's kit and chatting with all and sundry. Totally immersive modelling atmosphere.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 06:28:19 pm »

Wings and Wheels has advertised their usual show in June at North Weald, hopefully there will be a few marine traders and exhibitors there to make the queue to get into the car park worth while (that was my experience some years ago).
Was there in 2021 and there wasn't anywhere near as big a queue as I can remember from earlier shows. The parking was in a different position that was easier to get to. There was several boat stands although I can't remember a great number of boat traders, mostly model aircraft. Much better than the Weston Park event later in the year where they advertised model boats and there were about half a dozen boats stuck away from the main trade display, the only activity on the pond was from a model hovercraft group. Doubt I would go back to Weston Park as it was basically for traders to show off their very large and very expensive planes (e.g. £15000 for a 1/3 scale ready built Citabria) with very little there for the normal model fliers, the one good thing was a display from a full size aerobatic team, even the promised Spitfire made one fly past before disappearing.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2023, 09:33:45 pm »

I can explain about sandown park, they thought it was a a model train and boat type exhibition, and then the 5 & 7 1/4 locos arrives, not to mention the traction engines....ohh and a little oil spill on their new concourse.....and the things went from bad to worse, the organisers at that time (who had just taken over) didn't really know how to go about the set up, yes you guessed it big mouth Phil who's real job in the world of entertainment apart form lighting director was exhibitions.....so apart from my stand I sorted the rest of the layout....( a certain Mr Rex was asked to sort all problems and got the next train back north) and as for the model boat pool......inflated by...well......and 2000 gallons of water on the floor.......so that's why the show was never invited back.

Days of shows are disappearing, Colin has very succinctly summed it up, sad but true it seems we have seen the best days

Children are our future........

But how ?

Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: No International Model Boat Show 2023
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 04:28:45 am »

Hanno Prettner and his amazing flying skills

And they were truly amazing at the time!
I remember one flight he did at Sandown, he took off as normal, went straight & lever for about 3 seconds, he then pulled the plane straight up,
perfectly straight, perfectly vertical.....  20 seconds later, the plane disappeared into the low cloud base!

We all were just dumbstruck!
Lots of 'Oohs & Aahs' from everyone in the crowd, including me! :o

What are your fondest memories of shows past? ...

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 06:35:37 am »

I must point out that those claiming that Blackpool is the only model boat show left are forgetting the best show there has ever been in this country. Situated right in the middle of England for easy access, with cheap accommodation nearby, masses of models on show and an actual lake to use.

Hall based exhibitions are alright for a plod around for a couple of hours, but if you want a real show, go to this one…

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68288.0.html

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 07:07:45 am »

And they were truly amazing at the time!
I remember one flight he did at Sandown, he took off as normal, went straight & lever for about 3 seconds, he then pulled the plane straight up,
perfectly straight, perfectly vertical.....  20 seconds later, the plane disappeared into the low cloud base!

We all were just dumbstruck!
Lots of 'Oohs & Aahs' from everyone in the crowd, including me! :o

What are your fondest memories of shows past? ...

Working with Richard Nichols on the 308 stand. Having breakfast with Hanno. And watching the experts fly Friday night!!! No lights either!! Seeing shluter helis crash on a regular basis. Going upstairs to see the submarine stand. Watching the rc cars demolish each other. Oh and sleeping in the back of the Iveco for 2 nights. Oh to be young!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2023, 08:50:06 am »

The Mayhem show is all very well, but unfortunately Martin forgot to check the dates with my younger daughter who has chosen to get married on the same weekend!

I might (just might) be able to sneak a boat into the car and make it there for the Sunday, but it's a long shot.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 10:49:32 am »

Too many sources of instant gratification for the kiddy winkies to want to create something that's going to take more than a day to complete. Was told by a couple of questioning youfs thirty years ago that six weeks to build a 100s thermal soarer (Including moulding a fuse in fibre glass) was 'too long.' Stopped competing a couple of years later thanks to the likes of Wanichek producing checkbook models - early instant grat.
  As far as boat shows are now concerned, I enjoy my three visits per year to chat to Stan and the Hobbit and admire the workmanship on display. Fuel prices and age will probably kill going further afield, long gone are the days of mass exodus.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.