Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No International Model Boat Show 2023  (Read 6653 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: International Model Boat Show 2023
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2023, 01:40:01 pm »

I can explain about sandown park, they thought it was a a model train and boat type exhibition, and then the 5 & 7 1/4 locos arrives, not to mention the traction engines....ohh and a little oil spill on their new concourse.....and the things went from bad to worse, the organisers at that time (who had just taken over) didn't really know how to go about the set up, yes you guessed it big mouth Phil who's real job in the world of entertainment apart form lighting director was exhibitions.....so apart from my stand I sorted the rest of the layout....( a certain Mr Rex was asked to sort all problems and got the next train back north) and as for the model boat pool......inflated by...well......and 2000 gallons of water on the floor.......so that's why the show was never invited back.

Days of shows are disappearing, Colin has very succinctly summed it up, sad but true it seems we have seen the best days

Children are our future........

But how ?

I think that was Ascot Phil, not Sandown.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: No International Model Boat Show 2023
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 01:45:29 pm »

Anyway, looks like Haragate (s) is on going by what is mentioned elsewhere.

LB

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2023, 01:52:51 pm »

recently moved to the west country and this weekend will plod along to the bovington tank museum model show which bills itself as the biggest model show in the southwest.from the list of exhibitors theres only two boat clubs going and neither of them are particularly local the two nearest clubs that i would like to meet do not seem to be going.phil

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2023, 01:53:43 pm »

on another note what we need is to bring back weymouth model boat festival. maybe not in weymouth though

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2023, 04:56:05 pm »

Sadly we are on this roundabout again. The truth of the matter is very simple in that fewer traders and model clubs are attending shows and punters through the doors are in decline. Throw into this mix the high costs of venues and travel costs, it all mean that commercial shows are at some stage were bound to disappear. Many years ago I had a least 25 members willing to attend commercial shows, this number is now down to 5 and this will errode even more in the coming years.  This is sad after all the good years we have experienced. With the remaining shows we have left, if possible go and enjoy them while we can because like others before they too may disappear.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2023, 07:27:04 pm »

The Mayhem show is all very well, but unfortunately Martin forgot to check the dates with my younger daughter who has chosen to get married on the same weekend!

I might (just might) be able to sneak a boat into the car and make it there for the Sunday, but it's a long shot.

OK, she did ring me .... I said I see what I can to stop you going!   {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2023, 09:01:45 pm »

OK, she did ring me .... I said I see what I can to stop you going!   {-)

I'll be having words with the little minx!  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2023, 10:57:40 am »

Sorry Stan but that is a defeatist attitude, another three pages required before we've beaten this to death, cremated it and ground the bones to dust.  O0

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2023, 11:13:13 am »

Stan is just telling it like it is. The decline set in years ago and is essentailly age related as older modellers cease to be active and are not replaced by younger people who find other things they want to do.

It's not a question of being defeatist, you simply can't put the clock back. All you can do is consolidate as best you can. Those lost shows are not coming back, the support is no longer there from the visitors, modellers or traders and you can't just conjure it up.

It doesn't mean that model boating is dead, it will carry on for a good few years yet but not on the same scale(sic) that we were used to.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2023, 12:57:00 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.