Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy Boats ?!  (Read 4417 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Noisy Boats ?!
« on: February 09, 2023, 12:49:38 pm »

I’m rather concerned as to what I’m going to do with my thousands of pounds worth or RC equipment when the government bans glow fuel. That’ll mean I’m sat on over 10k worth of stuff that I’ll have to try to sell abroad. This is unfortunately another product of the hobby declining

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Noisy Boats ?!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 12:54:34 pm »

............................. when the government bans glow fuel.

??? When will it happen ?

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 07:04:31 pm »

??? When will it happen ?

They will, it’s just a matter of time. You currently can’t buy over 25% nitromethane content fuel without an Explosives Precursor license, which is rumoured to be changing to 16%. I won’t be at all surprised when it’s banned altogether

I’m also dreading the day when my ‘local’ lake (102 mile round trip) where I can actually run my IC boats has them banned because someone in the council decides we can’t have them anymore

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 09:06:53 pm »

OK i thought that I had missed something.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 10:30:14 am »

And why do the local councils ban IC boats? Can't be a noise issue as some of todays electrics sound like portable chainsaws/strimmers. I vividly remember Robbie Coultraine 'Disposing of' an 049 in a Scottish Lock after referring to them as 'Noisy little B****s'

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 10:52:22 am »

People complain about noisy fast electrics too, usually the ones with surface piercing props, which tend to make a lot of the noise. With ic engines a lot of the issue was usually modellers running without silencing or very minimal silencing for extended periods. A well silenced ic model makes very little noise. The other issue, and this is not exclusive to ic engines was usually high speed coupled with poor control- smashing into other models etc.

Sadly a few who insist on behaving without restraint often results in blunt legislation, rather than the application of a bit of sense and discretion.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 11:08:30 am »

Noisy electric models might well become a problem for us all. Electric models are often allowed because they are quiet. If they start getting complaints about noisy or dangerous electric models then all electric models will get banned on a pond. Once something like this happens it becomes a precedent.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 11:32:01 am »

Fast electrics and these club500 things are certainly not much fun to be near when they are on the water.
Very fast, noisy and a great disturbance for any wildlife. I see a potential problem fir clubs that promote.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 12:07:55 pm »

I agree, I take my (scale-ish) boats off the water when someone is running a fast electric, and if they seem to be well equipped with spare battery packs, pack up and go home.

I know it's horse for courses, and expect that the who favour fast electric curse us oldies pottering about with their scale nonsense.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 12:24:49 pm »

'Noisy Club500' ?????

Fast and scary looking maybe ( especially if you've got your beautiful scale boat on the water ),  but not "noisy"!
 Running fast and slow boats, at the same time / location, is surly a matter of negotiation, club / pond rules .... and intelligence.
  ( If it is nosy, there is something dramatically wrong with it! )

Club500 race:  https://youtu.be/dqYfIugAfXc

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 12:31:08 pm »

Noisy they most definitely are. High revving motors.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 12:42:50 pm »

What is considered "Noisy" will differ between individuals. I consider the high pitch whine from some  brushless models to be noisy and disturbing the peace. I sail on the village pond & I don't think that I would be at all popular if my models were much more than silent. I can see the Parish Council banning model boats in such circumstances.

I would agree that one Club 500 with a brushed 540 isn't noisy. This is noisy however (& even worse if a group of friends arrive with several of them!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQMpFvXbm4

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 01:02:58 pm »

Fast electrics and these club500 things are certainly not much fun to be near when they are on the water.
Very fast, noisy and a great disturbance for any wildlife. I see a potential problem fir clubs that promote.
Disturbance to wildlife is debatable, our club pond has a resident pair of swans and several ducks plus a considerable number of Gulls at times. In summer there can also be around 4 or 5 young swans. We have run fast electrics including very fast boats and Club 500. In the past when we have held fast electric races (restricted class using Sloopys) it was not uncommon for swans to swim across the racing course during a race, in one case one swam right in front of a boat turning a corner, the boat ended up travelling under the swan which just kept calmly swimming on not appearing to notice. I could run a fast boat (4S LiPo, brushless motor and surface prop) in wide turns round swimming gulls without much effect, they didn't fly away as they would if frightened.
As for problems with scale and fast boats, our pond is large enough that scale stays at one end while the fast boats needing room stay away and can use the rest of the pond. Collisions between them are very rare and normally at slow speed, there are more collisions between scale boats on a typical sailing day than happened in a year with fast boats.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 01:34:29 pm »

Thanks for opening another topic heading Martin, would have been in more trouble leaving it running there!
You can hear the noise in Tugs video I'm sure?
I wouldn't say it's "debatable " whether it disturbs wildlife, in Martins video link the craft actually hit the Canada Goose I thought?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 03:10:08 pm »

We have swans, geese, ducks and gulls. We avoid them all as far as possible. We have been visited by the local RSPA who would rather we weren't there at all but seem to accept thta we take care not interact in any way with the wildfowl. WE only occasiobally sail club 500s amd then never near the birds.
Don't Assume Check

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 03:37:39 pm »

Most boating ponds and lakes will have wildlife present. These 500 things just bully waterbirds to the margins or away for good.
Not pleasant to see. Your club has the right idea to play it cautiously.
 RSPCA etc carry lot of weight!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 04:31:21 pm »

I see nothing wrong with club 500's. Small and modestly powered sport fast electric. Submerged drive , so little noise.
It when the 1kw+ 6s monsters start hitting the lake that things get interesting.

If you're worried about your club, I'd say a much greater threat for most of them is the age range.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 12:41:20 pm »

Sixty years ago in complaints section of local rag, annoyance of 'Screaming jet boats' on local park lake. There were two of us, one a Hunter powered Crash Tender and mine, a Hornet powered Sea Hornet.

Regards  Ian. 
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2023, 01:55:21 pm »

There's no sharing the water when these plastic craft are let loose, other boats nor wildlife. Like I said before not pleasant to see.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2023, 03:00:30 pm »

It’s actually really disappointing to see people in other clubs have the same attitude to fast boats as a lot in my club do. We operate a clockwise course for all fast boats, with spotters for wildlife and other boats etc. In the past we’ve shared the lake with ‘slow’ boats very happily, but in the last couple of years the scale and sail guys have all started coming on a different day to the rest of us.

In all my years of boating, I’ve only seen one incident at our lake that was caused by a fast boat hitting a sail boat. Thankfully the sail boat owner wasn’t put off by the collision and still joins us.

Taking all the other boats off the lake isn’t the answer. Fast boats need to stick to a course and be predictable in their driving. If in a club someone is driving in a manner that could cause harm to other boats (or anything else for that matter) then they should be asked to remove their boat from the water

As for the point of “disturbing the wildlife”, it’s one that has come up every now and then and is proven every time to be an absolute crock. I recently had a woman come up to me at our lake angrily telling me that we shouldn’t be allowed to use the lake because she didn’t like the noise and we were disturbing the wildlife. As I was explaining to her (in a very polite way) that she was an utter waste of oxygen my clubmate had finished his run, within 30 seconds of him picking his boat out of the water the geese flocked back into the lake. So much for disturbing the wildlife…

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2023, 05:14:15 pm »

Unfortunately, a lot of fairly quick electric boats are operated by people with no understanding of "Fast boats need to stick to a course and be predictable in their driving".

I used to run IC boats with John Stidwell, his boats were immaculate and very quiet, and his driving skills were of the highest order. Other people tried to copy him and rapidly came unstuck.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2023, 06:06:13 pm »

We sail in the centre of a public park and sometimes get complaints saying we might frighten the birds.

We show the video of the swans gliding round the lake during the annual council run bonfire and firework display and that deals with that problem.

Swan herding using 2 boats is a popular club competition and surprisingly attracts quite an audience;  slow and quiet gets it done.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2023, 07:47:01 pm »

Unfortunately, a lot of fairly quick electric boats are operated by people with no understanding of "Fast boats need to stick to a course and be predictable in their driving".

Then it’s the responsibility of a club’s officers to implement rules that govern their safe operation…

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 07:57:51 pm »

Isn't it just common sense?
We share our pond with over 40 resident swans, numerous breeding pairs of mallards and coots, with one pair that actually nest inside our lighthouse. Geese are frequent visitors to the pond too. We have a great relationship with the RSPB and also with our local bird sanctuary, to which we give an annual donation. We look after our wildlife and promptly report any that is unwell, as we feel they are a huge asset to the park.  When we have fast boats running, we usually keep to certain areas so as keep disturbance to both wildlife and other boaters to a minimum. Re. the 500s, I personally, have not heard a noisy club 500 and we have a good number in our club.
As I say... It's all down to common sense, but unfortunately, you always get someone who likes to complain now and again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 08:09:32 pm »

Then it’s the responsibility of a club’s officers to implement rules that govern their safe operation…

The club I am a member of does not have exclusive use of the water, it is in a public park and anyone can sail there. There are effective rules in place for club members, but there is no way of policing the non members who also use the water.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.