Shows, Events, Club websites and Club Events > Commercial Events and News

Bovington model show [the biggest model show in the south west!!!!!]

(1/5) > >>

philk:

There were plenty of Model Boat Clubs at the Midhurst Model Show which was on the same Sunday, the residue of the Portsmouth display team were displaying there.

Shipmate60
ADVANCED WARNING LONG RANT AHEAD
Having recently moved to the south west and being a little bit keen on exhibiting at model shows i thought the billing of this show sounded just right. I believe it is a follow on to the yeovilton show which i went to a couple of times and was rather impressed with. I have just returned from the bovington show (little b deliberate). The tank museum itself is very impressive lots to see, well organised, very interesting content. The model show as a model boat enthusiast was a bit poor. According to the website there should have been South Coast Modellers Formally South SEction of the Surface Warship Association, Shepton Mallet Drifters Model Boat and the Edinburgh Model Boat Club. If you want to see the full list of clubs heres the link https://tankmuseum.org/events/spring-model-show#1642418774950-49a26470-a92e. The south coast modellers Yes you were wrong, the shepton mallet drifters i was totally unable to find which is a surprise as at lease phil and carol sadd always go to every show going. The guys from edinburgh i found, very nice guys with a lovely selection of boats had a nice chat. There may not be a great amount of model boat clubs in the south west anymore but there is at lease weymouth, Yeovil, exeter and poole, solent, sedgemoor and portsmouth boat club. The portsmouth model boat display team were there but brought almost exclusively tank models with them. Weymouth and portland not being there was particularly dissappointing as i would quite like to join there club but am unable to gain contact with them via there facebook page or website. If any members are on here please get in touch.
Perhaps someone can tell me why this show has such a poor showing of model boats i can only assume something has occurred that has put clubs off. Maybe the september show could be better possibly with an outdoor marine village with a pool would clubs come then. Awaiting enlightenment from my dissapointment.
phil knell

Barney Magrew:
I have many and varied interests in modelling but ,no of no one down in SW Devon that has been asked to attend or seen it advertised down here.  I may be looking in the wrong place however {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

T888:
Phil,

As a founder member of the new club South Coast modellers (Not formally the Solent model boat Club)  I wish to correct you.
We were not as you say “ i suspect were the two gentlemen who had a stall selling some tatty damaged old boats. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( ”

Please enlighten yourself to the link and see the high standards of our members models.
The South Coast modellers stand was located at the bottom of ramp walkway to the Tank Story see photo.

https://www.southcoastmodellers.org/

unbuiltnautilus:
I would like to second the reference to The South Coast Modellers, a cracking bunch of lads who make us all sick with their constantly high standard of modelling, love you guys! Also Portsmouth Model boat Display Team had a conflict of dates this weekend and would normally have more boats on show. However they were at The Midhurst Modellers Show on Sunday. At least this way we could support both venues. One problem we did encounter this year at Bovi, all groups were capped at two tables each, not much room to display boats. It looks like our guys did manage to circumvent this requirement on the day. However, not much good when planning an event in advance. I was at Midhurst so cannot really comment on how crowded or otherwise the halls were, but appreciate it can be a fine line that event organisers have to tread when mapping out events.
Photos attached of the absent boats, somewhere else!

philk:

--- Quote from: T888 on February 12, 2023, 05:00:47 pm ---Phil,

As a founder member of the new club South Coast modellers (Not formally the Solent model boat Club)  I wish to correct you.
We were not as you say “ i suspect were the two gentlemen who had a stall selling some tatty damaged old boats.  ”

--- End quote ---

Many apologies they were south coast something. I did see you some great models but I mistakenly was expecting just boats and didn't recognise you for who you were
Do you have any idea why so few boat clubs and is the September show better Apologies phil
Please enlighten yourself to the link and see the high standards of our members models.
The South Coast modellers stand was located at the bottom of ramp walkway to the Tank Story see photo.

https://www.southcoastmodellers.org/
[/quote]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version