Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale all wooden build  (Read 14698 times)

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
Re: Re: Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale all wooden build
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2023, 09:45:16 am »

It's going well Wallace, nice steady work. Great photos showing your progress, keep them coming.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2023, 10:51:44 am »

Getting all ready for fixing ,sanding and lining up the final 4 parts (ribs ) for the base of the hull very pleased with the way its gone only two hiccups along the the way  first one was way back broke a joining piece but all got fix the next first blood to one of my knives it drew blood on my hand but all well.So the last 4 ribs go to the end of the stern then it will all be left for 24/48 hrs to really set.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2023, 06:36:37 pm »

The last two photos shows a big error that can happen to anyone so before you lovely people following my build I put the side piece and tape it in place to see how it fits when the time came to glue and fix it into place it was put on the correct way with the small port holes at the top looking back on the photos that I have taken really helps in all way,
the next set of photos will be the Finnish of the ribs in place now onto the ships side.

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 08:18:14 pm »

That's looking good.

Hope your hand's ok - I find every model demands a blood sacrifice at some point.

Ralph

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 09:22:04 pm »

Looking good Wallace.
I’m sure the real reason superglue was invented was for us modellers to glue ourselves back together after the inadvertent blood sacrifice that often occurs! Hope it was nothing serious and look forward to seeing your next instalment  :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 11:54:45 am »

Onto more fittings all ribs in place and strong as you can see I held the hull up in one hand to show how strong it insert job was to fix a part on the side top on both sides and let it bond for another 24 hrs.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 11:57:29 am »

Here's the next parts only a few but its going to take a fews days.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 12:00:43 pm »

here's the right photo for the next parts getting carried away.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 06:42:05 pm »

Im upto date with the photos of  over two weeks of building this set of photos were put together this Mothers Day  Sunday 19th March 2023
 so now I hope to post daily of the build.

here's the build at the stern only 7 parts today I put together 3 off them and had to bond them together for 24 hrs.
It looks so easy but if you rush it then its all out like I have said a little bit at a time will get great great rewards hope you like.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2023, 10:10:14 am »

and more

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2023, 07:15:09 pm »

Here's Moday's build only a few pieces near the stern  just four parts which took over 2 hrs this afternoon,I make sure the pieces are all smooth and I give them a dry fit to make sure they fit
100% I make sure they are numbered to put in the right place then glue one at a time remove all waste glue onto the next one and so on press and hold into place then out come the clips etc as you can see I use alot on everything one on have a good look making sure everyone is set and level upright and all areas across then its time to tidy up and sit back and have a good look, and look at the next stage to do ,just two parts to put on at the ends both sides have to bend into shape so they are into warm water  will shape them later then leave to dry overnight  time now is 14.35pm  cuppa then 40 winks back tomorrow.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 07:05:49 pm »

Today's build Tuesday 21st March 23,  Just over two hours in the morning and two hours after lunch the first parts were No16/17 had to be shaped to fit the last two supports of the hull I have put the drawing with the translate to show what has to be done alot of filing and tons of fitting to get it right then adding wood glue to fit then holding both sides in place for 24 hrs, onto the afternoon's work

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 07:10:54 pm »

the last photo shows what has to be done over 2hours once again not got it 100% at the moment will get onto it tomorrow and to add the metal part.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2023, 07:04:54 pm »

Today is Wed's 22nd March build not to much done but the little bits take time and 100% good fitting,so the photo's of the build today was a few hrs.AM and a few hrs. PM the first was to show the stern bits thats was put together yesterday just a very little bit to clean up but 99% happy the next show's the ship stern to bow  I'm so happy with it at the moment then another close up of the stern follow by the two pieces I had to sand down and fit the first metal part the next one shows both sides done  still dont know what they are for  ??? I did put clips onto the two sides to keep in place, now onto the bow as you can follow I put the build page next to the parts that were cut out and clean up the next all parts were put together as the manual says to do but not to glue  then I started to take it apart and glued the first two parts with the rod in place that has to be cut ,as you can see I love my cuppa  more tomorrow.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2023, 07:43:37 pm »

Topic name changed
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale all wooden build
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2023, 06:44:19 pm »

Today  Thursday 23rd March progress on the build of the Yamato todays was only a few hrs (because I had to plant out my Broard Beans which were started in the greenhouse)
so todays photo's are about putting the parts together for the bow which was 16 bits done the first two yesterday so today I done the rest in stages to let them bond making sure all are lined up I then put the clamps on to hold them for 24 hrs to fully harden then it is sand sand more sanding to get the right shape.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2023, 06:48:18 pm »

information was before sorry

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2023, 06:48:34 pm »

Friday  24th March todays photo of the build is still about the bow yesterday all parts were glued together and allowed to set for 24 hrs removed the clips and have started on sanding the bow into shape already been sanding for 2+ hours will carry on tomorrow not to rush .

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2023, 04:57:15 pm »

Todays photo's of the build, still on the bow sanding and sanding by hand another three hours and its looking good.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2023, 05:47:26 pm »

That looks like a good bit of sanding you've done to achieve that shape - it would drive me crazy - so must be very satisfying to get it done  :-))

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2023, 07:53:59 pm »

Such lovely patient and accurate work  :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2023, 03:22:36 am »

You did a very very nice work and result to reproduce one of symbolic parts of the Yamato, bulbous bow.!! O0 :-))
It must be troublesome and difficult to shape the bulbous bow of the ship. :}
The pics attached below are from 1/10 Yamato in so-called Yamato Museum in Kure city where real Yamato was built.
I have ever been there once.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2023, 11:26:08 am »

Today is Sunday 26/03 first of all many thanks for all the kind and lovely remarks I have been getting about my build of the Battleship Yamato it is a big brain tester for me at my age but after 12 great years in the Royal Navy you always learn to do things if you put your mind to its with this build I have said I will not rush the builds far it has taken me over two days to sand the Bow into shape all by hand with sand paper hopefully will get it done today, also many thanks for your very lovely posts  from Capt Podge,Mark T and the great photos posted by Backerther from Japan catch you all later having a cuppa then onto more sanding. :-)) :-)) :-) .

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2023, 12:17:50 pm »

Hi to everyone just to say I'm back still doing my last boat Resolve nearly done been doing alot again on it ,weather I sail her I just dont know but the big news is I'm starting a new build
 it cost a arm and a leg  got it from the model shop in Japan and its is the big Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale and its all wood 6mm thick 4.8 ft Long and I have just started cutting out some of the parts so I'm going to photo most of the build.
The manual is all in Japanese been trying to get it translated no go as of yet.

We're following this build with great interest, Wallace!   :-))

BTW:
https://www.japan-wooden-model-kits-zootoyz.shop/contents/en-us/d80_Wooden-Japanese-Battleship-YAMATO-Model-Kits-by-Woody-JOE.html

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2023, 07:53:17 pm »

Many thanks Martin  I'm doing me best.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.