Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale all wooden build  (Read 17878 times)

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale all wooden build
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2023, 08:15:46 pm »

Back again Sunday evening  26 march after another two hours of very fine sanding I think I have nearly got there so I will go onto the next part of the build, when I put the wood primmer on I will have a good look at the bow to see if it need fine tuning if it does I will be using model putty, the photo's today are showing you from all angles what the bow looks like at the front without being glued most likely fix it into place tomorrow then some more shaping of the next parts to be fixed.I have also put a photo of the next parts to be done.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2023, 04:47:52 pm »

Hy to all start of another week on my new build,
   But first how many spotted my mistake on the last photos I'm first  It was the bow section that I'm sanding down I took photos of my work with it upside down my big mistake so sorry.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2023, 04:50:40 pm »

Here's the bow the right way up before its glued into place

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2023, 04:53:36 pm »

Yep, spotted your deliberate mistake but decided not to mention it - it was a dry run after all ;D .
Still looking forward to seeing your progress Wallace  :-))

Ray.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2023, 05:06:09 pm »

Back again Monday  27 march and more work on the Yamato today  was the fitting of the bow ,the top support and also the tops of both the side to join up with the ones on both sides from the stern,the job with the bow is I had to get it right as the wood glue works fast so I put alot on so I could keep moving it so that it lines up with the whole ship it took me around 30mins etc to get it right so hopefully  tomorrow will tell when all clips tape come off , also I had to shape the end by the bow to get the top two bits to fit I used warm water to make the ends soft   thats why all the clips and tape  are on the model its not glue as of yet the wood has to dry first hopefully tomorrow I can glue  Manaul photo taken to show you what I had to do.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2023, 05:07:55 pm »

Thanks Ray for your reply I was not thinking at all but this morning I was full of beans .

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2023, 07:15:20 pm »

Tuesdays 28March  the next few parts to be put into place onto the Yamato today I removed all tape and clips and please to say all parts held together 100% and the parts that were put into water and mounded into shape  dried well so its all go for gluing the parts that I put into place were the port and stbd. top sides with the portholes showing I also had to do some more sanding to the top of the bow its on the photos from yesterday and also the piece in place from the bow to No 5 support while that all took place and the wood glue has been on for 4hrs I went ahead and cut out No20 clean it up  and just had a little fit I was a bit unhappy with the fit as it wasn't fitting 100% it was just out  I think the 3rd upright from the bow is just a little bit out  tomorrow is another day and I will study it well I hope in the end I can put it right its only a wee bit out I may have to use my putty to fill and when dried sand it in.Hope you can understand todays photos. :-)) :-)) 

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2023, 04:56:08 pm »

Wednesday 29 March only a little bit done today photo of what has to be done  on the planking starting with two arkward bits on both sides I have glued into place one side and puts clips on.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2023, 04:50:34 pm »

Today Thursday 30 march todays build was setting up with the top planking took me a long time today to sand the bow end to fit into the piece already there but after a few hours done it and I moved on to the next piece going towards the stern a bit of sanding and cutting one end, at this moment I have not glued and fix to the frame  no rush got to get it right hopefully will start gluing tomorrow. :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2023, 04:56:12 pm »

Friday 31 March  todays build was checking all over and then gluing and fixing the other side top planking  clip and left to dry over night.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2023, 04:57:54 pm »

forgot the photo

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2023, 07:01:05 pm »

Today 's Build is 5th April  not posted since last Friday so from fri. upto today was cleaning up the model for the big job of the planking on the port and stbd sides of the Yamato also the sanding where I glued the first two metal parts the wood had to be rounded to the parts shape which took ages but its looking good at the moments the past two days been cutting a few of the wood for the planking, done away with the clips to hold them in place have posted a photo of how I'm doing it now its a long jog but to me its worth it,I measure the length for the planking cut the piece mark where its going to be fix to and marked and then drill using a 0.05mm bit then clean up the but side after drilling I then marry the piece to the frames and hold into place with push pins and doing that way does not mess up the planks thats cut it looks all clean the tiny holds will be fill with putty and sanded at a later stage the photos show it all and the pieces I have done will be glue hopefully tomorrow then left to dry for 24 hrs thats why its a long job the planking is  sorry folks not going to rush it because I want to do it right.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2023, 04:52:10 pm »

Its Thursday 6th April hard at it for a few hours onto the planking the photos show planks cut and pin into place to see how they look the last photos show that I have glue a few planks onto the bottom of the model and held in place for 24hrs the pins are the yellow ones that are fixed also with all the clips its going to be a long job cutting marking and drilling pin holes cleaning up the glue as I go along.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2023, 04:51:02 pm »

Today is Good Friday so todays photos are about the planking removed pins and clamps from Thursdays work and put a few more bits for the planking  every day now I'm finding new ways of doing the planking and removing the wood glue as well so all is looking good hope you all like.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2023, 07:08:20 am »

Looking very good indeed Wallace. I'm enjoying to read and follow your regular updates on the build.

Phil

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2023, 04:46:23 pm »

Saturday 8th April todays photos and update first I remove all clamps and pins from the day before all have set great so today I cut and put a few move planks onto the model all fully glue and as  you can see tons of clamps to hold in place for 24 hrs.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2023, 10:37:04 am »

Easter Sunday 9th Apr. only work done today was to remove all clamps and all pin and all clips, had a good look how its all sitting but me being me I layed two small planks only.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2023, 10:58:15 am »

Easter Sunday 9th Apr. ..... I laid two small planks only.

Whoa!  Take it easy! .... Bank Holiday weekend dude!      {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2023, 05:00:01 pm »

Thanks Martin I know its Easter w/e,never do anything at Easter haven't for years,
Was just passing a few minutes until the football was on.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2023, 05:04:53 pm »

Today is Easter Monday  cold and raining all day  so the best thing to do was to spend bit of time on my build so for a few hours started on the Stbd side with the planking only laid three bits.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2023, 07:36:30 pm »

Tuesday 11  Apr  update done a bit more planking on the Port side removing Mondays pins put a few planks to the stern so tomorrow I will start on the stbd side  and get to the stage of the port side which will take a few days I'm pleased with the way its gone my first time doing planking but in the end it will be first class, broke my first bit of planking today was clamping bit strong so I renew the piece.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2023, 04:53:10 pm »

Wednesday 12th April more work done on the Yamato  so todays work was to remove all pins and turn the model over to do the planking on the stbd side ,what I done was wrote the planks down onto paper the order they went on  on the port side somehow they have gone on a lot better after cutting a few and placing them onto the model pinned them down but none are glued into place, thats the job for tomorrow.its looking good.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2023, 04:47:47 pm »

Thursday 13 Apr. more planking cut to size and pinned in, hopefully I will start to glue some in place,I have ordered a pin pusher with 7mm pins, so anyone who is following my build of the Yamato use one of the pin pushers to hold the planks in place while the glue sets and can you leave the pins in etc I got one on order and its on its way and I will need it on my next build later on in the year and its called the PRIZN EUGEN and another all wood alot of planking sides and decks,

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2023, 04:57:25 pm »

Today Friday 14th April  is the end of week 7 of the build and so far really enjoying the build it has tested me as I have not built with wood altogether yes I have made a few mistakes but done it again but so far really pleased with the build, today work was to glue the planks that I had cut on Thursday did not get them all done maybe tomorrow. :-)) :-)) 

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2023, 06:28:40 pm »

Thursday 13 Apr. more planking cut to size and pinned in, hopefully I will start to glue some in place,I have ordered a pin pusher with 7mm pins, so anyone who is following my build of the Yamato use one of the pin pushers to hold the planks in place while the glue sets and can you leave the pins in etc I got one on order and its on its way and I will need it on my next build later on in the year and its called the PRIZN EUGEN and another all wood alot of planking sides and decks,

Wow - already planning your next build.  Do you expect to have Yamato finished before you start Prinz Eugen?  That's a lot of building to squeeze into the next few months!  :-)) :-))

Greg
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.