Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale all wooden build  (Read 14723 times)

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Battleship Yamato 1/250 scale all wooden build
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2023, 09:57:16 am »

Hi SailorGreg thanks for your post,I will put you right the next build as I posted about the Prinz Eugen is going to be a xmas present from my girls  and yes I know there is alot of building to be done here on the Yamato and I would not open the box until I have finished this build its not like me to do two builds at once hopes this cleans this up for you.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2023, 04:52:19 pm »

Todays update on the build of the Yamato Monday 17th Apr. more photos of the long job of planking both sides alot done I will be so onto the the sanding and fine shaping.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2023, 07:01:37 pm »

Tuesday brings more planking had a good few hours done a bit at the base around the stern.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2023, 07:03:36 pm »

more planking done

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2023, 04:50:28 pm »

Wednesday 19 Apr  more on the planking done the stbd side at the rear of the base near the keel and also re-done the part I did yesterday was not happy with it but done it and I'm so happy did not break any planking a very good few hours this afternoon.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2023, 04:53:22 pm »

Thursday 20th Apr.  todays work on the Yamato was re-doing the mistakes that I have found around the planking  taken a few planks off and not one broken study the manual on the build and under stood what I have done wrong the great thing is I re-done the planking and its looking fab I just took my time  bit by bit and looking at the photos Im very happy still got a few more to do.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2023, 05:44:05 pm »

Well Wallace, it's good that you spotted the errors in good time and you've been able to rectify. Would have been a lot worse if you had already started painting  :o

Ray.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2023, 07:25:44 pm »

Today is Monday 24th April here's the latest photos of the build of the Battleship Yamato have not posted for a few days as I was redoing my errors, good news done them all and getting close to the end off all the planking hopefully this week but I will take my time.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2023, 07:28:52 pm »

Still Monday photos  of what has been done over the past few days.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2023, 04:54:29 pm »

Today's build Wednesday 26th April have today done the final planking and errors, filled the gaps and my next job is the stern which is made up of 10 pieces.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2023, 04:48:32 pm »

Thursday 27th April today photos of the build is the starting of the build up of the stern block which has 10 pieces to glue together and pegged then it has to be sanded down and fitted then its onto the hull for shaping which is going to take a few days or longer.the photos show the bow block together and glued but not fix to the stern, always another day.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2023, 04:54:36 pm »

Today being Friday 28 April here's the latest photos on the work on the Yamato not much done had to get my eyes tested so I done a few hours working on the stern, cutting and fixing from yesterday and also sanding the parts into shape, happy with the work done I also turn the model over so I could get to the inside and what I did was to paint all the stern inside with wood glue, over in Japan where I got the model from and who built the kit  said after the planking to the stern is done apply adhesive firmly inside to prevent cracking after painting the hull will do the rest tomorrow.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2023, 07:11:23 pm »

The photos of the build are from Saturday 29 April and its the all about the stern and shaping it.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2023, 07:13:52 pm »

Sunday 29 April and also Monday !st May is still on the stern and fitting it to the model.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2023, 07:18:51 pm »

Todays photos are from Monday 1 May .

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2023, 07:23:08 pm »

Tuesday 2nd and Wednesday 3rd May is the start of the sanding of the hull will be a long job by hand.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2023, 07:25:48 pm »

Wednesday  more photos of the hull getting sanded.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2023, 06:54:35 pm »

Today being Wednesday 10th May just a few more photos of the sanding of the hull, doing it by hand into my second week of sanding its taking shape will need a bit of wood filler, and then more sanding not over doing things, about 2 hours aday  so along way to go.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2023, 07:17:09 pm »

Today is Sunday 14 May so since last Wednesday I have been sanding and sanding and getting the shape of the hull its coming, and on Saturday I started filling in the gaps with wood putty put it on by my fingers alot better  to do, left it to dry and harden and to day I got back to sanding  to me its looking good and some bits need to be done.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2023, 07:21:48 pm »

More photos of the hull.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2023, 07:19:00 pm »

Looking really good, nice work  :-))
Steamed up all the time

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2023, 06:51:08 pm »

Today is Thursday 18th May These next 4 photos  are the near final of the sanding of the hull, doing it by hand is long and hard work but I enjoyed it will go over the whole hull with a very fine paper 600 then its the first primer coat which will highlight any faults of the hull.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2023, 07:09:01 pm »

today again May 18th more upto date of the build, the photos show what I have been doing today checking on the put together of the Bilge Keel two parts to each side left to dry and harden over night  glad to report all ok I sanded to a small angle on the fitting sides to the hull and I have drilled a very fine hole 4 in total on both Keels im going to glue a very small length of thin wire into the holes and drill small holes into the hull where the keels are going to be glued just to give it bait more hold and strength ,also I have tested the fitting of the upper deck and they are not fixed or glued and the last job I done was to re-fit the metal parts which didn't take last time in fitting  you can see the glue I have used this time will leave for 24 hours with the clips in place to really harden there you are all upto day getting close to the first painting of the hull.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2023, 08:02:24 am »

HI Wallace :-))  will she sail by r/c or is she just a static model ? but looks a very nice build very well done so far
chrisb :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2023, 09:50:41 am »

Hi Wallace,
I have been enjoying your steps to build the IJN battleship Yamato and also you have done a very good job on every part of her building.
But I have noticed one point about the shape of bow line. If the shape of the line of your model is faithfully based upon the
plan of the kit, it should be OK, needless to say.!! :-)) :-))
Or if the shaping of the line has not been completely done yet at this time, it is also OK.!! :-)) :-))
The point I have felt something for you to reconsider is the delicate curve of bow line over the bulbous bow at around the water line. See the pic below of 1/10 museum model whose line is comparatively linear at around the water line....
I have ever built several Yamato models so far very popular among ship enthusiasts in Japan and the Yamato had some
peculiar lines or shapes, some of which were not seen in other BBs of navies of the world.
Above is just my personal impression about the bow line and never take it wrong nor malicious criticism. :D :-))

1:1/10 Yamato in the Yamato Museum in Kure city where 1/1 Yamato was born. :embarrassed:
2; Your model

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.