Mess Deck: General Section > From the Archives and all around the Internet !

HMS Hood

(1/3) > >>

Martin (Admin):

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10231455917366893&set=gm.6102717493153705&idorvanity=399753236783521

raflaunches:
I still think she was an achingly beautiful for a warship reflecting the era she was conceived and built in.
My tatty picture photo of Hood:

raflaunches:
Picture From Facebook

I remember reading a book several years ago which mentioned Hood’s fuel consumption at different speeds. For a vessel so big (for her time) it’s amazing how much she used at full speed:
70 tons per hour to achieve 32 knots
7 tons per hour to achieve 14 knots

A massive difference considering her fuel tanks held 3895 tons!

raflaunches:
I was watching a newish documentary this afternoon about the sinking of the Hood. They went back to the wreck with David Mearns and Innes McCartney to investigate the wreck of Hood properly. The interesting theory that seems to match the viewpoints of the eyewitnesses now seems to be that Hood may have been struck below the waterline in a similar way that the Japanese trained to bounce shell to hit below the waterline but possibly been completely unintentional by Bismarck. They essentially proved that Bismarck was not firing deck penetrating salvos and Hood’s armour was too thick/layered to allow a German WW2 15inch shell to penetrate all the way to a magazine room. The only way it would have a chance would be to hit below the armour belt and deflect upwards into the magazine room.

The strange events of the day involved at least two of the ships involved (and if ever proved ,three) suffering direct hits below the waterline, Bismarck was hit by HMS Prince of Wales causing her to lose a significant amount of oil fuel, and POW hit by Bismarck causing serious flooding making her to disengage from the battle.

Colin Bishop:
Nick,
Have you read Iain Ballantyne's book Killing the Bismarck?

Colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version