Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MMM Fiberglass hull  (Read 827 times)

JamesE1

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
MMM Fiberglass hull
« on: March 27, 2023, 02:45:13 pm »

This may be a silly question but am in the process of building a tug using a MMM fiberglass hull. Once decks are in what is the best way to smooth off the inside of the bulwarks. Not sure whether to line with plasticard or to use filler and then sand down? Any sugesstions on best practice

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: MMM Fiberglass hull
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 03:17:25 pm »

I personally would use  (have used ) plasticard . This would give you a better finish and allow you to work it in between any stanchions you wish to add as detail Keep to 1-1.5mm so that you do not have to use an excessive capping rail to cover it
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 04:35:42 pm »

I agree with Baldrick, lining the inside of the bulwarks will give a neat finish and avoid a lot of sanding. Plasticard is one option but 1/32 ply is another and might be easier to glue and trim but would need sealing before painting.

When building my smaller Deans Medea Steam Yacht kit I used 1/64 ply to line the bulwarks successfully.

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 04:48:06 pm »

... and I agree with Baldrick and Colin but, if you opt for the thin plasticard, be sure to never leave the model in direct sunlight as this can, and will, warp the plastic. That said, I've only seen it happen on a plastic deck and the model was outside on a display table all day.
I've yet to see the same happen to plastic bulwarks but just bear it in mind.
Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Ray.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 04:37:47 pm »

Its differential expansion between different materials. I have also experience delamination of plastic card and buckling if exposed to the sun. A lot also depends on what glue you use to fix it. Evostick can be used on plastic card provided its not really thin, but, if exposed to too much heat it can start to fume and buckle the card but this has only ever happened on really thin card.

My gut feeling is that wood would be less prone to expansion and of course car body filler which is designed to adhere to fibreglass but much harder to get a smooth finish.

Of course it also depends on the temperature and if in direct sunlight. The best way to keep the model cool is to sail it!

Cheers

Geoff

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 08:11:10 pm »

I use car body filler before the deck is fitted. It gives a strong flexible coating and easy to paint or superglue to.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.