Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Korts prop  (Read 1025 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Korts prop
« on: March 30, 2023, 08:16:30 pm »

Hi, all
is it advisable to manually file down with care a pair 4 blade korts props, im asking because im about to order a pair for my scratch built kortze nozzel from prop shop, if i order their 1.6 inch they will be too tight, if i drop down to 1.5 inch whilst untouched will appear to look too small...

Trucker

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Korts prop
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 08:48:24 pm »

It’ll be fine :-))

To sharpen and balance race props (Prop Shop props included) I use a file, among other tools. The important bit will be balancing them afterwards so you don’t end up with shaft vibrations wearing your shaft bushings prematurely

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 08:55:20 pm »

Hi, Andyn
Thanks for replying so quickly, so, how do i balance the props, nearest to that skill ive got to is balancing helicopter blades

Trucker

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 09:09:03 pm »

I use a magnetic balancer, which is a length of rod suspended between two magnets in a frame. To balance, you fit the prop on the hub, drop it between the magnets and gently spin it. The heaviest prop blade will always stop at the bottom.

This is roughly what I have, is a much cheaper version but would get the job done:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183797339493?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=X7JBkMeQRhi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Fdryb-p3QzW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Oh the days when heli blades had to be balanced!

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 09:24:35 pm »

Guessing that your props wont have a mounting hole all the way through, but a blind threaded hole?

If that's the case, set up 2 razor blades, stanley knife blades or something similar parallel, dead level and and a couple of inches apart (blue tack'll be enough to hold them in place).  Mount your prop on a spare shaft and sit it on the blades - with the minimal friction between the blades and the shaft it'll roll along until the heaviest prop blade is at the bottom.  Maybe not as precise as a magnetic balancer but there again you'll only be running at a fraction of the rpms a racing prop does.

Ralph

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 09:28:23 pm »

After sending my reply i went on youtube and watched a couple of vids on the subject , so guessing some filing is coming my way, hey thanks for the help, another skill to learn  O0

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 09:32:58 pm »

Ralph
Thanks for the tip regarding a blind threaded hole, didnt think about that  :embarrassed:

Trucker

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 09:34:09 pm »

Must admit, I’ve done hundreds of dog drive props with through holes and had forgotten slow boat props have blind holes and threads %)

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 10:15:33 am »

your best bet  would have been to talk to simon at prop shop and tell him the exact  size you needed  he would turn them down  for you

ive had simon do this a few times now :-)) [size=78%] [/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.