Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > DC Motors (Brushed) and Speed Controllers

Motor Direction Help

(1/1)

RichM:
Hi Guys.
I’m part way thru my build of the Aeronaut Jonny Tug kit (Although it won’t be called ‘Jonny’).

I’ve got a pair of MFA 540 motors laying around which I’m going to use in it just to test the running , etc before I get hold of a pair of 700’s or 800’s for the main full time running of it.

They will be run from two 12v 7Ah sealed batteries.

What I want to know, is I know I need to run the port motor (Looking from astern) in a Clockwise direction and the starboard motor in an anti clockwise direction, however the motors both run Clockwise.
So, is it just a case of reversing the terminals, IE; +ve lead to -ve terminal and -ve lead to +ve terminal to change the direction of rotation?

Or is it something else completely ?

Cheers

Ralph:
You're right - just swap the wires on the motor terminals on the one which is turning the wrong way.  Don't swap them at the battery cos your speed controller wouldn't like that.

Ralph

RichM:

--- Quote from: Ralph on April 06, 2023, 08:44:44 pm ---You're right - just swap the wires on the motor terminals on the one which is turning the wrong way.  Don't swap them at the battery cos your speed controller wouldn't like that.

Ralph

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info Ralph.
Just thought I’d double check before frying summat or even worse, setting fire to the boat!!
Cheers

Fastelectrics:
540 motors often have a the timing advanced, so you may find that one motor is stronger than the other. If this is the case you could compensate by running them through separate speed controllers.

ChrisF:
Also, I've read that with brushed motors they can run slower in one direction than the other (due to the brushes?) and as you are effectively running one backwards it might be an issue?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version