Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: help on choosing petrol engine  (Read 13347 times)

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
help on choosing petrol engine
« on: November 04, 2007, 06:07:01 pm »

Hi guys

Would like to pick your brains.  I am looking for a petrol engine, the one I have come accross is  DZY 26cc MARINE SINGLE PETROL ENGINE.  Can anyone tell me if it is a good engine, reliable ? need about 30mph.  It is not for speed, just for playing on the water. I need it for a boat whhich I havent built yet.  The engine costs £85, I think that is cheap but like I said I dont know anything about them.  I would be very grateful if someone, or all, could give me some information and help,

thanks a lot for time and effort.  :embarrassed:

wingertaz

Re: help on choosing petrol engine
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:11:14 pm »

Hi,
   Yet another low cost product to come out of China. They do a range of engines to suit most requirements. The one you mentioned is the economy model. I set one up for a customer the other week. It ran well but didn't seem to be in the same class as the Zenoah engine. But considering the cost it's good value for money. Durability & reliability has yet to be proven.

Regards Gary

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:35:37 pm »

Hi guys

Would like to pick your brains.  I am looking for a petrol engine, the one I have come accross is  DZY 26cc MARINE SINGLE PETROL ENGINE.  Can anyone tell me if it is a good engine, reliable ? need about 30mph.  It is not for speed, just for playing on the water. I need it for a boat whhich I havent built yet.  The engine costs £85, I think that is cheap but like I said I dont know anything about them.  I would be very grateful if someone, or all, could give me some information and help,

thanks a lot for time and effort.  :embarrassed:
hi mate if its a good motor and cheap that will give you 30 mph no problem then i suggest a good strimmer motor like mine in my first scratch built mono.its 28 cc air cooled but i run it in an open top hull i built from plans.the motor cost me 15 quid on ebay brand new,i see them from time to time now for 25 which is still a great price.heres a few pics of mine and some video of her.ive been running this boat for a year now and no problems whatsoever even after a dunking she runs great.not the fastest boat but faster than a lot predicted  {-).im now running another boat with a 260 gpum zenoah and have to say these motors are brilliant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DkwfMavcqQ

BJ

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:07:53 pm »

The following is text was from Julian de Camillis of J Perkins Distribution Spares Dept on their DZY 26 engine:

The only details I have from the manufacturer are 2.35HP but does not say at what rpm or prop load.
They say the rpm range is from 1.6k to 10k for this engine although the prop size and shape will have an effect on this.
No port timing available, so can only suggest using a protractor bolted on the crank to try to work this out.
I would not expect any great jump in performance as these engines are usually designed to produce max torque at fairly low rpm's.
Sorry we don't have much

The boat that I have with this engine is turning a 75mm prop. It is not the fastest but does start quickly and run easily.

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:34:21 pm »

Thanks for all the help. i will look at some strimmers and get some ideas from there.

Once again many thanks  O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:26:21 pm »

if you need any plans i have plans for this one its a great boat and will accept a zenoah when you decide you need more speed  ;).

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:21:32 pm »

i have looked on ebay and engines for strimmers are coming about £80. no cheap ones just now.  Will keep looking, not in any hurry.

Where do you get the boat plans from?

I think i will give the Zenoah a miss just now, probably will have to save up more money ro beg the wife, will kep looking.

thanks for your time and effort

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:18:10 am »

i have looked on ebay and engines for strimmers are coming about £80. no cheap ones just now.  Will keep looking, not in any hurry.

Where do you get the boat plans from?

I think i will give the Zenoah a miss just now, probably will have to save up more money ro beg the wife, will kep looking.

thanks for your time and effort

One thing to bear in mind is that with the current currency situation (does that make sense?), the American market is a very cheap place to shop just now.

How about a stock Zenoah PUM26 delivered for £112?

Glenn.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:01:44 am »

glenn is right either the states or hong kong are the places to buy a zen at cheap prices.if you still want a strimmer motor ive seen some less than 80 quid  :o .if you can stretch to the zen you wont be dissapointed unlike with that zen copy  ;).heres a cpl,of new strimmers i found but if your in no rush maybe the one i have will come available again soon im not sure but all i can say is its a good motor.anyway heres a cpl ive found on ebay.by the way the plans are free ill email them to you if you wish?.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RYOBI-2543Y-SPLIT-SHAFT-PETROL-STRIMMER-INC-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ190169159234QQihZ009QQcategoryZ112593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/McCULLOCH-PETROL-STRIMMER_W0QQitemZ150179513433QQihZ005QQcategoryZ139981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Homelite-ST-385-Proffessional-petrol-strimmer_W0QQitemZ140174980719QQihZ004QQcategoryZ71277QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/McCullock-Petrol-Strimmer_W0QQitemZ230187922790QQihZ013QQcategoryZ139982QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GARY C

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 10:13:12 am »

Strimmer engine sitting on Ebay  £4.99  no bids yet.  Item no 180175826185.

Or type in strimmer engine under all categories.  You would have to remove the clutch assembly, but I would not know what you would be left with at the end of the crank , thread?, and what type or style of coupling you would need. Unless you are in a postion to make something up. 

Gary.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 11:24:06 am »

Strimmer engine sitting on Ebay  £4.99  no bids yet.  Item no 180175826185.

Or type in strimmer engine under all categories.  You would have to remove the clutch assembly, but I would not know what you would be left with at the end of the crank , thread?, and what type or style of coupling you would need. Unless you are in a postion to make something up. 

Gary.

No you dont need to remove the clutch assembly? all you do is use a square ended flex that slots right into the square hole thats it.then you atatch the flex to a ferrule (silver solder)and the ferrule to a solid stainles steel shaftvia 2 grub screws which runs through a strut.Or you can buy a ready welded flex to shaft  with a square end to fit the slot but you will need to make sure you get the right length so the ferrule setup might be better.I run mine with the clutch and i used the ferrule setup,been running over a year now no problems at all.heres a cpl of pics of mine in the boat and my strut setup.Also ive atached a pic of a square drive collet on a zen to give you an idea of how it works,basicly with this setup you need a shaft saver as the flex isnt held into the motor but thats where the ferrule comes in as its between the boat and strut it stops the flex coming out of the slot O0.If you use a ready made flex shaft setup you need to use a 1/4" wheel collet as a shaft saver just between the strut and the hull.I almost forgot top say my scratch built mono cost me about £150 to get on the water including radio gear so its a great cheap way to get running if you can get a cheap motor.Even with a zen it would be less than most ready to run boats available and this hull will outrun most of them too especially with a zen.In fact id bet my boat with the 28 cc strimmer motor would beat most of those chinese rtr packages you see on ebay for 300 quid  :o..if you want a nice glass hull i know a guy who makes them and sells them for £75 on ebay i have one and installed a zen into it.i have a build thread on here called seaquel build.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 11:41:10 am »

heres the glass hull shes a stepped mono and she runs well with a stock zen  O0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RtYCQIgGcA

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:26:27 pm »

Hi Guys

you were right.  I looked at American ebay and I can get RED ZENOAH WATER-COOLED G260PUM R/C BOAT ENGINE.  this is the one I will go for.

Thanks for the offer of the plans, if you could email them that would be great.

Away to beg the wife for more money now

thanks again

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:57:37 pm »

Have seen the engine I am going to buy.  As this is my first petrol engine what running gear do I need for the boat ? is there any pics to show how it is laid out in the boat ? The boat isnt for racing, its just for fun.  Is there a site or sites you can recommend for the gear.  Many thanks for helping newbie

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 08:01:09 pm »

Hi Martno1fan, I see you said a frien did your boat.  As I will eventually make a boat for the engine.  How much for a boat including delivery and what size is it ?

Have looked at a few on American site which look quite smart but unfortunately they dont deliver to UK.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »

hi the  yellow boat i built from plans from plywood it took me 6 weeks from start to finnish  ;) somewhat a record i think  lol.The orange hull is made by a guy who makes full size hulls he sells them on ebay for £75 delivered quality is very good  O0.its 46" long 13" wide plenty big for a zenoah would def need some work to fit a strimmer motor (lengthening the hatch) and with strimmer you would have to run it without the hatch to allow air cooling.No big deal though,if you fancy building the woody its not too difficult and it runs well too.for running gear all you need is 1/4 flex 1/4 ss shaft ,1/4"ferrule 1/4"strut ,1/4 drive dog ,prop prather 275 or 280,prop nut.5"or6"wedge rudder and bracket etc.feel free to pm me with your engine choice if you prefer to keep it hush hush  ;).heres a cpl of links to a site i got my stuff from,prices are exellent and quality is good.stay away from the dual rudders though.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-Aluminium-strut-for-1-4-shaft-for-r-c-boat_W0QQitemZ290160379313QQihZ019QQcategoryZ34058QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminium-Propeller-78mm-dia-for-23-35cc-boat-Pitch-109_W0QQitemZ290177476309QQihZ019QQcategoryZ34058QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aluminum-rudder-for-67-90-nitro-23cc-35cc-rc-boat_W0QQitemZ290176786273QQihZ019QQcategoryZ34062QQcmdZViewItem

also check daves site out hes also great for advice too  O0
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/

omra85

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 10:48:20 pm »

Hi Snoopy
Although I don't race the petrol class, I do know that the info you have been given so far is spot on!
At the current prices, you can't go wrong with the Zenoah.  It's a bog standard engine (not in performance) which you can get just about anything for.  If you're just starting, its always a good idea to get what a few others have got, both in getting bits AND getting information.  The deals from the States are even tempting me  :o
"Phantom", (who is sometimes seen on here) made Marts hull, and a very nice job it looks too - ideal for what you want and a good price at £75.  Jon Wright (Jotika) does the "Aeromarine" range but are a bit dear if you're not going to race it (from £130). Paul Firmin (Nimrif) does the "Makara" another good boat (don't know the current price but must be over £120), finally Bernard Holder makes the "Magnum", a big submerged drive hull that goes on forever (maybe not quite as fast as some though) at £125.

The world's your lobster  :D

Have fun

Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 11:24:34 pm »

I think phantom better known as Gav to me has been very busy lately both with work and gettinng a new hull ready for rc including a cat i think.I dont see any of his hulls on ebay right now but thats not to say he wont have some up again soon,it depends how long you want to wait?.that said have you checked out the easy vees from the states? they look similar to my woody and come in lazercut kit form for cheaper than it costs for the wood here.send joe an email hes a great guy and very helpfull and will give you setup instructions to help you.his boat is also very fast with a zen between 45 and 55 with a zen depending on setup etc.shouldnt cost much to ship here and at $59 thats cheap(£28)
http://www.zippkits.com/

veebox looks nice too

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 12:20:45 am »

Have seen the engine I am going to buy.  As this is my first petrol engine what running gear do I need for the boat ? is there any pics to show how it is laid out in the boat ? The boat isnt for racing, its just for fun.  Is there a site or sites you can recommend for the gear.  Many thanks for helping newbie

Snoopy,

you will need, in addition to the engine you have already chosen (good choice BTW):

Petrol tank, drive shaft, propellor, rudder, radio box, radio gear, exhaust (Tuned pipe preferable) &  a hull. The fact is there are dozens (or more) of each of the items listed to choose. Might be the best way to decide on a hull, then work out if you are going surface or submerged drive on it.

When you have decided, come back for impartial advice as and when you need it. Most people on here are, in my experience more than happy to help. We do not always agree but you pays your money and takes yer choice.

And Danny - tempted to start burning petrol and leave the alcohol alone? It's a momentous day. Honest, it won't be like the bad old days with the Kwaka's Danny and 6 laps per hour. It's the way forward!!

Glenn

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 04:13:51 pm »

thanks guys for all the info.  Will now need to decipher it out. Lots to look at, will check out all the info.  Might buy the £75 fibre glass one whilst hopefully making one from plywood

once again thanks for all the help guys, at  least I am now on the right track

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 05:07:56 pm »

thanks guys for all the info.  Will now need to decipher it out. Lots to look at, will check out all the info.  Might buy the £75 fibre glass one whilst hopefully making one from plywood

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5250.0

Have a look through that lot, there are explanations of the different drive arangements etc etc and the pros and cons of each.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 05:35:17 pm »

Check my build threads out on rcu heres a cpl of links.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5452887/anchors_5452887/mpage_1/key_new%252Cgas%252Cmono%252Cbuild/anchor/tm.htm#5452887

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6338131/tm.htm

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 09:42:42 pm »

Hi Guys

thanks for all the information. I have definately decided on the Zenoah watercooled 260 engine.  The boat I will probablt start with is from America, It is an N-Box, costs approx £50.  It is 46"long x 17" wide. It is from Zippkits R/C Boats.

So this the engine I am going for and the boat I am getting.  Just have to work out the rest of the gear I need for it.

once again many thanks

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 11:28:53 pm »

hi mate not wanting to put a downer on things but the cracker boxes  of which the n box is one are flat bottomed well as near dam it and they arent very forgiving  :o if i were you id go for a vee so either the easy vee or the veebox which will be more easy to drive  O0.vees are better for a first boat as they are more stable and will handle most conditions better than most other designs .the cracker boxes dont turn great and can spend a lot of time the wrong way up by all accounts,heres the veebox it even says on the link it turns better than any other cracker due to its deep vee bottom  O0.same price too same looks up top just with a vee bottom.will look awesome with some 1/4 driver figures stuck on the top  ;).

heres one with a nice finnish.seems they go well too  O0

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 02:30:19 pm »

Hi Martno1fan,

Thanks for the heads up on the boat.  I have emailed the company and told them to change it to the Vee Box, the same as the one in your pic.  Talking about boats as you mentioned earlier about the plans do you need my email address, let me know.

thanks again
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.