Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for information on a Modern Trawler (EDIT: Ordered Plans)  (Read 801 times)

RichM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Ex Trawler Owner!!!

I'm thinking ahead to my next build, and something that i've always wanted to do, is build a giant scale modern trawler, something like the 'Fruitful Bough', 'Reliance' or 'Ardent'. Anything along those lines, but BIG!
I know about the plans from Sarik for the 'Ardent', but thats only 1/32 scale so not that big.Could those plans be blown up? By who/Where?
Does anyone know of any other plans or even a hull/s thats available please? Any links to them?

When I say big, I mean 1/24 scale - 1/16 or 1/12 scale or bigger.
Something like the modern single or twin riggers in the current Scottish fleet.
Cheers
Treat her like your mother, cause if you don’t, she will bite back!

ngt689

• Shipmate
Re: Looking for information on a Modern Trawler
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 08:52:55 pm »

hi rich,these are plans for 'venture LK.641' at 1:25, she's a big heavy lump, slightly older than what youre looking for, but she's still a great looking boat, possibly one to consider.
cheers, neil.

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mar3160.html#SID=2585

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down//media/venture-lk641.233001/full

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 09:34:55 pm »

Hello Richm,
I have a 1/24 scale trawler based on the Reliance 11 BF 800 and she is about 90 cm long.
Ballasted to float to the waterline she weighs over 20 kg. I’d gently suggest that at 1/12 scale you will have exceeded the weight that one person could safely handle. Entirely your choice of course but the Venture as mgt 689 suggests is indeed a great looking boat, but significantly bigger again.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 09:49:32 pm »

Any copy shop will blow up/ reduce a plan. Best to mark a known distance on the original to check the correct ratio.
Don't Assume Check

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 09:57:22 pm »

Most print/copy shops with an A1 size copier can scan and enlarge plans.
1/32 to 1/24 is an enlargement of 133%
1/32 to 1/20 = 160%
1/32 to 1/16 = 200%
1/32 to 1/12 = 266%
Measure the enlarged plans at the shop as some older copiers can slightly reduce the final size by up to 1%.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 10:26:23 pm »

Well think ahead...
You have to store it, move it, transport it to the pond, get it in and out of the pond and get it back home.  ok2

Ko Koster has worked it out for his models, but I don't think I will ever build that big. :o    .

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 10:29:31 pm »

Hi Rich the Fruitful Bough is a nice trawler not many hulls around at 1/12th scale that would be one big model 73 inches long. I'm going to start on the Fruitful Bough once I'm finished the Ocean Challenge, she's 1/30th scale a bit easier to carry at 29 inches  :-))
This is progress of the Ocean Challenge up to date.

RichM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Ex Trawler Owner!!!
Re: Looking for information on a Modern Trawler (EDIT: Ordered Plans)
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 08:56:03 am »

There are some lovely pictures there and lots of inspiration for me.

Chipchase, your model is gorgeous, very well done! Have you done a build thread for it as I’d love to read and follow it?

I’ve decided on the trawler that I will do, Shemarah II.
In 1/25 scale, it’s a Nice big hull, very deep draft. Masses of room inside. Plenty to detail, what’s not to like?

I ordered the plans from Cornwall Model Boats this morning so when they arrive I will have a study, and maybe start a build thread if there is interest?

I will need help along the way, as it will actually be my first scratch built model! Oh dear, could it all go wrong?

Cheers
Treat her like your mother, cause if you don’t, she will bite back!

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Looking for information on a Modern Trawler (EDIT: Ordered Plans)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 03:57:36 pm »

There are some lovely pictures there and lots of inspiration for me.

Chipchase, your model is gorgeous, very well done! Have you done a build thread for it as I’d love to read and follow it?

I’ve decided on the trawler that I will do, Shemarah II.
In 1/25 scale, it’s a Nice big hull, very deep draft. Masses of room inside. Plenty to detail, what’s not to like?

I ordered the plans from Cornwall Model Boats this morning so when they arrive I will have a study, and maybe start a build thread if there is interest?

I will need help along the way, as it will actually be my first scratch built model! Oh dear, could it all go wrong?

Cheers
I haven't done a build thread on this one Rich, don't put a lot on Mayhem know. good luck with your new project
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.