Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/72 Flower Class Corvette-The final resting place of HMS Compass Rose.  (Read 977 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!

This is a model I got that was in a very bad way, lots of parts broken and missing, hull damaged etc etc. She is the old Matchbox version and time hadn't been kind to the plastic so, what to do? Yep, another rusty-crusty.

One of my favorite war films is the 1953 'The Cruel Sea'. I have seen many of these boats made as statics or RC but never, to my knowledge, one of The Compass
Not done one this large before (some may remember my sunken subs) so, wasn't sure how it would turn out, lots of coating and many hours of painting with rattle cans, airbrush, sponges, dry brush and pigments. Finished  and sealed in a satin/gloss finish to highlight the wet and slimy look being at the bottom of the ocean.

Of course, damage etc is based on watching the film and trying to figure out what may have happened, she was supposed to go on a board but, the extra weight (she is heavy now with all the coatings) and the fact it would be just too unwieldy. I kept some of the superstructure just to make her look interesting, in reality most of the items would have been ripped off or rotted away. I suppose she is about 30 years submerged here. Stand was made, varnished and oiled to look old and a couple of plaques weathered and added with a quote from the film.

339315059-532536305696874-28967670339270

339320595-955945842242266-11311447207856

339647114-3441665452757267-6262606611869
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer

That's another you've b*****d up Eddie.  O0 %)

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

HI EDDIE  very well done on the finish of how compast rose looks as i think you have done it to a T  after 30 yrs on the ocean bottom you have captured it just how it would be in my opinion as you say all that work on pigments an such you desevrse a well done
ever thought of doin titanic ?
chrisb :-))

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

That's another you've b*****d up Eddie.  O0 %)

Regards   Ian.

Yep, and they be getting bigger!  {-)

Cheers Ian, I know you like em... :D
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

HI EDDIE  very well done on the finish of how compast rose looks as i think you have done it to a T  after 30 yrs on the ocean bottom you have captured it just how it would be in my opinion as you say all that work on pigments an such you desevrse a well done
ever thought of doin titanic ?
chrisb :-))

Hi Chris, glad you like it mate, thanks you.

As for Titanic, I have thought about it but to be honest it could be a lot of work. You never know though :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!

I love the colours and textures Eddie! That looks about as accurate as you can get. I would suggest adding some sea plants etc, but where do you stop?

Lovely job matey!
Pond weed is your enemy

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

I love the colours and textures Eddie! That looks about as accurate as you can get. I would suggest adding some sea plants etc, but where do you stop?

Lovely job matey!

Thank you, glad it looks, well...sunken  :} . I think sea plants would maybe look too much, as you say, you can go on forever...then you ruin it. I have done that.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

Hopefully, Model Boat Magazine will be doing a feature on this model in the coming months. It has been drafted and is awaiting approval.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.