Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dockyard Model Shop, Chatham - Closed  (Read 693 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Dockyard Model Shop, Chatham - Closed
« on: April 27, 2023, 01:42:35 pm »

Saw this on Facebook ....

The following message is from Robert Bright of The Dockyard Model Shop, Chatham. He has asked that you and your readers be made aware. "The Dockyard Model Shop has traded successfully for nearly 29 years, but with the current economic situation showing no sign of improving, and the increase in business costs, sadly the shop is no longer viable as a retail outlet. Therefore, I have no option than to announce my retirement, and THE SHOP WILL CLOSE ON 16th APRIL. Martin of ORCA 3D will be taking all remaining stock and will be establishing a new mail order company to continue selling kits, fittings, etc. For more info and updates go to www.dockyardmodels.co.uk" ( Facebook )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dockyard Model Shop, Chatham - Closed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 11:10:41 am »

Sadly another casualty of 'Use it or loose it' and instant gratification mail order that today's society demands.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 11:32:01 am »

Sad to see it close.  But with the low prices of built model boat kits it does indicate that some of us watch more carefully what we spend.  I bought an unbuilt kit via ebay for less than 2/3rds. list price 3 months ago. 
I also note that Sarik wood kits have gone up a lot, we are all suffering these price rises and perhaps the uncommitted part of our incomes has gone down in proportion.

regards
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 11:40:56 am »

Sadly another casualty of 'Use it or loose it' and instant gratification mail order that today's society demands.

I think it is a case there no longer being enough not enough modellers in the area to support local model shops anymore. Plus of course there are so many items available these days that it is hopeless to expect a local shop to carry a comprehensive range - just look at what Cornwall Model Boats offers for example. The model shops that survive do so mainly on the basis of mail order. The 'local' model shop for me, which I visit several times a year is Squires of Bognor nearly 35 miles away. I love browsing around and buying stuff I either never knew I needed or forgotten that I had bought on a previous visit. Most of their business is mail order or model railway shows though.

I buy from model shops online such as Model Shop Leeds, Cornwall Model Boats and rely on Component Shop for most of my electical/electronic needs.There are also a lot of suppliers such as the kit manufacturers and many small businesses such as Macs Mouldings and ModelBoatBits. Just about all of these suppliers give excellent service so what's not to like really? One thing in common to most of these retailers is that they don't have th overheads of high street rents to cover which is why many of them are located out in the sticks.

Colin

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.