Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rusty working trawlers  (Read 772 times)

ColinB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bateaux sur la Loire
Rusty working trawlers
« on: June 09, 2023, 11:32:47 am »

Please can anyone who has created a well rusty r/c trawler (not display model) please post some pics.

When I built my Crabcutter I rendered it scruffy but not overly so. I want to make the r/c trawler I am currently working on as realistic as possible with rust and salt stains like the Northern Sky here.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rusty working trawlers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 11:43:20 am »

All the experts in the field of weathering say the same thing, whether they are in the plastic model, model railway or any other area of hobbying, and that is to be guided by photographs of the real thing, not by someone else's model.

You might be trying to copy someone else's weathering effects, which in itself could be a copy from some other model, so the variation from reality can get to the point of it becoming unrealistic.  You should always use real colour photographs as reference and try to get as close to them as you can by whatever techniques you prefer to use.  Then you should be in with a chance of pitching your own weathering at something close to the real thing.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

ColinB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bateaux sur la Loire
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 12:34:27 pm »

That is a very good point mate, thanks. However it would be interesting to see how others have tackled it in similar situations.

Looking on line many of the old trawler pics are B&W, I found and saved a few colour ones but of course they have all weathered slightly differently.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 01:14:58 pm »

It is also quite relevant what trawler you are modelling as different owners put different amounts of resources into maintenance and what areas of operation it worked in.  North Atlantic trawlers suffer more than say Mediterranean  based vessels.  Again relevant photographs of as close to your own boat is really useful.

If you go onto Flikr there are actually groups such as this:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1176415@N23/

and this:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/556598@N24/

Where you might find something of interest.  They might not even necessarily need to be a trawler if they are close enough to the weathering you are looking for.

Real pictures are also invaluable to guide you through exactly how a boat weathers, which might well be missed by other modellers and lead you astray.  For instance this picture here is a perfect example of how a wooden hull can be weathered with heavy rust streaks.  If you notice the rust has all streaked from the steel rubbing strake set into the hull, which has then stained the wooden hull, but only below it.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

ColinB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bateaux sur la Loire
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 03:03:20 pm »

Cheers mate.  :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 08:31:46 am »

Here is my Our Lass 2 repaint. Photo reference was invaluable during the weathering process.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ColinB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bateaux sur la Loire
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 08:40:26 pm »

Superb!  :-))  Many thanks

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 09:56:25 pm »

Wow UBN...that image 6800_oa could be believed to be a full-sized scale of 1:1........ :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.