Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

Miniature hole cutters - Has anyone used and can advise?

(1/2) > >>

tonyH:
I'm looking to cut a series of 30 to 40off 6 or 7mm holes in thin (<1mm) steel sheet. Using a "normal" drill or even a stepped one could probably rip the work-piece. I've looked for options and one possibility is via RS from a firm called Rotabroach. Has anyone experience of the type or any alternative?
Thanks
TonyH

Andyn:
Personally I prefer a step drill for such things, but depending on your project I may be able to help you out, I have access to CNC punches and lasers

tonyH:
Thanks for the offer Andy! It's the usual "warship" porthole situation and since I just happen to smoke mini Hamlets that come in tins I think I might plate the hull using the tin from the 40 or so tins I have saved "just in case they're useful". It's early days at present but if OK by you I'll not forget.Again many thanks :-))
Tony

warspite:
Some have mentioned using brass rod to punch a hole in place, though no idea what effect a brass tube being hit behind through 1 mm steel is like.

the tube would have to be sharpened so the outside is the cutting edge and the inside tapered back, maybe by several brass tubes one inside the other would give it some rigidity and maybe apiece outside, the punch would have to be exactly positioned and vertical whilst on a solid surface - just a thought

chas:
Hi Tony, can you drill undersize, then use a tapered round file in a drill to get to the 6 mms you need? A bit of tape around the file would mark the depth needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version