Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

What tap and die

(1/2) > >>

Trucker:
Hi, all
Looking for some guidance on what to look for size wise and where to purchase the right tools, I'm not after a complete set just individual to carry out a one off.
I want to put a thread on one end of a 3.3mm brass rod and then create a cap that can be threaded with the same thread that can screw on the end and be removed occasionally, yes it's small stuff but I'm sure you guys would know how I should tackle this..

Thanks
Trucker

Bunkerbarge:
I would run a 3mm die nut down it and buy a 3mm dome nut, or acorn nut, to go on the end.  Die nuts and acorn nuts all available on Ebay, or give these guys a ring:

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/GENERAL_WORKSHOP_TOOLS_.html

ballastanksian:
If tapping a turned end, you can get three tap sets for each diameter. One is tapered to start and develop the thread, the next finishes it and often a third is available with a flat end to complete blind ended threads like you would be after.

Bunkerbarge:
Usually you tap a hole but you thread a rod or turned external diameter.  Taps can usually be bought in sets of three but dies are usually only a single die for a given thread with a tapered lead on one side, you then turn the die over and there is a bottoming face on the other side.

Trucker:
thanks for the replies fellas, all info taken onboard, but, how do i ensure i get the right size die for the rod i have,

Trucker

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version