Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QE2  (Read 8447 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
QE2
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:13:44 pm »

hi all. I am making the gunze sangyo QE2 at 1:450. I need to get some new transfers as the old ones got damaged. Any ideas were i can get some cheers john  ;D

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: QE2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:05:14 am »

I've actually had that model in the attic for about 15 years now and still not got around to starting it.  One day!!  It's actually a lovely kit and I would very much like to get around to making it one day.

As for the decals, have you tried contacting the kit manufacturer?  Or have a look round for the dry transfer lettering sets, you may still find them in office supply places.  I used to use the Letraset stuff years ago but computers have just about made them obsolete nowadays.  have you tried making your own on the computer?  I can't actually remember what the decals look like but, of course you cannot print white with the computer so you may be limited there.

By the way, out of interest just have a look at this forum.  It's a shame it seems to have died but some very useful info on your model.

http://www.russellwild.co.uk/forum/
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:02:23 am »

If you can find white rub-down lettering, great, but the makers have totally failed to realise that anybody can easily print black, so they sell black lettering. >>:-(
To print white on a black background, use a negative - in Open Office Writer (very good freebie), use the font you want to print the name, then set the background to black and the font colour to white using the format - character commands.  If you need to, put a line of black spaces above and below.  Use a home decal set to print your own decals.  Pant the area that the decal will cover white, apply "negative" decal, white letters on a black background.
Any other colour background needs some test printing as a colour match between screen and model will not be exact, but this can be got round by painting over the edge of the decal with the background colour, and losing the sharp edge.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:05:12 pm »

thanks for the replays. Yer tyred to find manufacture on google but had no luck so i think i am going to have to buy some transfer paper. Luck for me the name is in black. but thanks for the tip on the white thats one worth remembering  O0 . cheers john

swordfish fairey

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:18:28 pm »

Hi John, I don't know if it is any interest to you, but there is one of these kits going for a reasonable price on ebay at the moment bids to £12.99. item 320180678188 it has about 3 hours to run............Smudge

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:10:48 pm »

Hi John, I don't know if it is any interest to you, but there is one of these kits going for a reasonable price on ebay at the moment bids to £12.99. item 320180678188 it has about 3 hours to run............Smudge

Didn't sell

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 10:14:36 pm »

thanks. yer found it , he only re listed it and whacked up the price strange move ? but IL keep a eye . O0 john

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:52:19 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 02:00:15 pm »

http://www.chriscunard.com/about-QE2.htm

About QE2 : General Information & QE2 Facts

* Name: Queen Elizabeth 2.
    * Gross Tonnage (As built) : 67 129 tons.
    * Gross Tonnage (1994 - 2008) : 70 327 tons.
    * Decks: 12.
    * Length: 963 feet.
    * Width: 105 feet, 2 inches.
    * Builders: John Brown (later Upper Clyde).
    * Keel Laid: 5th July, 1965.
    * Launched : 20nd September, 1967
    * Launched By: HM Queen Elizabeth II
    * Maiden Voyage: Departed May 2, 1969
    * Final Voyage: Departed November 11, 2008
    * Maximum Passenger Capacity: 1,777 persons.
    * Standard Crew Capacity: 1,040 persons.
    * Port of Registry: Southampton, England.
    * Official Number: 336703
    * Signal Letters: G.B.T.T.
    * Fleet Status: Retired November 2008
    * Fastest: Passenger Ship 1969 - 2008

About QE2 : Engine Room Information

* Diesel Engines: 9 x 9 Cylinder (Turbo-Charged) Diesel.
    * Diesel Builders: MAN B&W, Augsburg, West Germany.
    * Electric Motors: 2 x 350 tons, one on each propeller shaft.
    * Boilers: 9x Exhaust Gas. 2x Oil Fired.
    * Output at Propellers: 2 x 44 MW.
    * Propellers: 2x outward turning LIPS Controllable Pitch.
    * Bow thrusters: 2 stone kamewa, 1000 h.p. per unit.
    * Stabilizers: 4 Denny Brown.
    * Fuel consumption: 18.05 tons per hour on 9 diesels.
    * Rudder weight:  80 tons.
    * Forward Anchors : 2 at 12 1/2 tons.
    * Cables: 2 at 4" x 12 shackles.
    * Aft Anchor: 1 at 7 1/4 tons.
    * Cables: 1 at 3" x 8 shackles.

About QE2 : Interesting QE2 Facts

* The Atlantic service speed of QE2 is 28.5 knots, with a top cruising speed of 32.5 knots; this made QE2 the fastest passenger ship of the 21st century, however during cruising this was often reduced.
    * Top recorded speed of QE2 was 34 knots during her 1987 sea trials.
    * Queen Elizabeth 2 was sold for $100 million to Dubai World.
    * Queen Elizabeth 2's launch was celebrated with a public holiday in many countries of the (former) British Empire.
    * Queen Elizabeth 2 was the longest serving flagship of the Cunard Line and the longest serving Cunard Ocean Liner.
    * Queen Elizabeth 2 has 20 lifeboats and 54 life rafts.
    * Queen Elizabeth 2 is the last Atlantic Ocean Liner to be built in the United Kingdom.
    * She made 806 trans-Atlantic Crossings.
    * She sailed 6-million miles - the furthest distance by any ship - ever.
    * She carried 2.5 million passengers.
    * Queen Elizabeth 2's anchors weigh 12.5 tons each and there are three of them - 2 forward and 1 aft.
    * She will be converted into a floating hotel at The Palm Jumeriah in Dubai.

More QE2: If you are interested in learning more about QE2's life - take a look at QE2: A Photographic Journey. http://www.qe2book.com/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 02:42:53 pm »

She's arriving at a time when the bottom is dropping out of the Dubai property market. I can't help wondering if the plans for the ship will in fact come to fruition and that she may just end up being  laid up and deteriorating which is what happened to the old Queen Elizabeth in Florida.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 03:45:37 pm »

colin if she is laid up that is good  because she still can be saved from beaning mutilated. Look at the video clip martin put on and see that mega boat  the no style taste. It looks crap. So what do the do they buy the QE2 . It a case of new money no style. So she laid up there still hope small but its still there . If she is butchered is all over.

john

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:36 pm »

Martin, thank you for that info on QE2. Since travelling on her earlier this year, we have taken a very keen interest in her movements, particularly her final voyage. I note from the BBC report that her Captain for that final voyage was Capt Ian McNaught, who commanded her on the first part of our cruise, from Sydney to Hong Kong.

We have just received a DVD from an English couple we became friends with on the cruise. It is a compilation of BBC TV news reports on QE2, including her final departure from Southampton, as well as a program on the Queen Mary 2.

Peter.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:16:52 am »

I've actually had that model in the attic for about 15 years now and still not got around to starting it.  One day!!  It's actually a lovely kit and I would very much like to get around to making it one day.

As for the decals, have you tried contacting the kit manufacturer?  Or have a look round for the dry transfer lettering sets, you may still find them in office supply places.  I used to use the Letraset stuff years ago but computers have just about made them obsolete nowadays.  have you tried making your own on the computer?  I can't actually remember what the decals look like but, of course you cannot print white with the computer so you may be limited there.

By the way, out of interest just have a look at this forum.  It's a shame it seems to have died but some very useful info on your model.

Why not print normally and then go to negative image? Then you have black on white.
Notes from a simple seaman

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 09:04:37 pm »

Why not print normally and then go to negative image? Then you have black on white.

Logic, Bryan
The printer doesn't care what its printing - it just applies colour to a white background.  The white bits are the paper showing through,whether it is the image as producd or the negative.  I did mention in a previous posting my way of getting there, involving painting the required area white and then applying the negatived decal.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.