Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spare Parts for Thunder Tiger Avanti Wanted.  (Read 597 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Spare Parts for Thunder Tiger Avanti Wanted.
« on: September 11, 2023, 08:31:44 pm »

As well as hoping to find and buy another Thunder Tiger Avanti, I also want to find some spare parts to keep my old Avanti going for as long as possible.

Spare parts for this obsolete model are almost non existent - not even Thunder Tiger have any stock of these parts - so I am hoping that someone on Mayhem will either have some (new or used) tucked away "somewhere safe" that they would like to convert into cash.

........or (even more unlikely), maybe someone happens to know of a model shop that still has some of these old parts unsold and is looking for a customer to buy them!

The parts I am looking for are :- (listed in order of priority with the most needed parts first).

PJ6296 Rudder Set.   This small set has the complete rudder assembly.

PJ6341.  O Ring.  (a clear silicon ring to act like a servo-saver on the rudder). Sold in a pack of 6.

5015.  Propeller P4014.  Sold in packs of two.

PJ6190 Antenna Mount.

PJ6306 Adaptor.  (motor to prop shaft - small diameter solid connector).

Not really needed - but I would be very tempted ....(but (fortunately?) never seen one) ..... to buy a new spare hull as they do tend to get marked-up during use, and the "glazed-over" decal is effectively part of the hull and is not available as a spare part.........and  ABS hulls tend to get more brittle with use and age!

I was surprised to see that they were listed as a spare part......including a spare bung plug! (drain plug).

PJ6352 Orange Hull.

PJ6352 Blue Hull.

......and to go with the hull...

PJ63580 Orange Hatch Cover.

PJ6358L Blue Hatch Cover.

Lastly - and as a matter of interest - does anyone know where to buy any of those small push-in rubber drain plugs?  Sometimes called "bung plugs" .  These are present in just about every ABS and most Glass fibre hulls and all the ones that I have seen look to be about the same size

They are easily lost, and Thunder Tiger don't list them as a spare part for the Avanti (!) - but they do include one if you buy a brand new replacement hull   O0

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Spare Parts for Thunder Tiger Avanti Wanted.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 11:20:57 pm »

I am not sure if you want to keep the model completely standard, but there are plenty of generic parts available that would fit with a little adjustment. Exchanging some of the original plastic parts for metal equivalents would provide a decent upgrade. I tend to use aliexpress.com for most of my boat parts but you will have to wait a few weeks for delivery.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 09:02:15 am »

I am not sure if you want to keep the model completely standard, but there are plenty of generic parts available that would fit with a little adjustment. Exchanging some of the original plastic parts for metal equivalents would provide a decent upgrade. I tend to use aliexpress.com for most of my boat parts but you will have to wait a few weeks for delivery.

I would be happy to buy and fit upgrade parts and wait for the delivery if I could find some parts that would fit the Avanti.

Some parts cannot be replaced with non standard parts, but things like the drain bungs and propellers have to be universal and I would happily buy them from the best source.

If I could find an alloy upgrade for the rudder assembly it would be an area where an upgrade would be beneficial as although the rudder blade itself is alloy, the mounting assembly is plastic.

Most of the optional alloy rudder assemblies that I have seen are for flexi-drive systems, but the Avanti is unusual (for a fast electric these days) insomuch that it has a conventional 4mm prop shaft that works remarkably well, so I don't want to change this to a flexi-drive system - even though this is something that all my other fast electric hulls use.

I will keep looking for the original Thunder Tiger parts, but I will also take a look at aliexpress.com for drain plugs, propellers......and an alloy rudder assembly - if they have anything that will work with the Avanti M4 prop shaft.

Thank you for your advice  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 04:46:08 pm »

Hi Bob

TFL Hobby do some nice upgrades for rudders etc. Noahs Ark RC stock and worth a browse.

I bought my TFL water-jet from them and received first class service and very helpful.

What dia. are the plugs required? I use in my Dragonforce yacht but might be a bit small? They are available.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 05:04:03 pm »

Just compared rubber bungs from my Dragonforce yacht and my race boat and they are exactly the same with shaft dia. being 4.10mm.

https://www.radiosailing.co.uk

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 05:11:36 pm »

Just compared rubber bungs from my Dragonforce yacht and my race boat and they are exactly the same with shaft dia. being 4.10mm. These are available from https://www.radiosailing.com

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I just tried that link to radiosailing to buy some of the rubber bungs but it is no longer in use.

I will check to see if they have changed their site address.

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 05:19:01 pm »

Just changed it Bob. I'd put .com instead of .co.uk.

I find it difficult providing links via my tablet!

Site is R C Yachts. Tempted?!!

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 06:07:37 pm »

Thanks Chris,

I have just ordered some rubber bungs - if they don't fit my Avanti - I may have to buy a Dragonforce 65   {-)

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 07:42:41 pm »

:}

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 09:30:17 pm »

Drain plugs taken care of thanks to Chris F.  :-))

The next thing on my wanted list to locate would be a spare propeller.  Original Thunder Tiger Avanti part 5015. Propeller P4014, or an option part (as long as it is the same size and fit).  Mine has a chip on one of the blades, so a new replacement is needed.

.....and a PJ6296 Rudder Set[size=0px].[/size] The plastic parts on mine are now quite sloppy so this is becoming more urgent as the weeks roll by so along with  the propeller they are now on the top of my hit list!   O0

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.