Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virtual EeZeBilt kits...  (Read 735 times)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Virtual EeZeBilt kits...
« on: September 16, 2023, 08:20:39 pm »

I will (slowly  :(( ) be converting the free EeZeBilt plans to 'Virtual Kits'.

This means that the flat sheet parts will be available as .DXFs, so that anyone with a CNC cutter can simply put a sheet of balsa in their machine and output a set of 'die-cut' parts.  As well as this, there will be 3D printed accessories - these will be available as free to download .STL files, so you can put these in yout 3D printer and produce them. For best detail use an LED Resin printer - I use a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K.

If I can, I'd like to do box art for the 50+ range, so we have a complete kit experience for free.... :)  The first two kits are at:

http://eezebilt.tk/Seakit.html
and
http://eezebilt.tk/OSAkit.html

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Virtual EeZeBilt kits...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 11:09:35 am »

Thanks for posting this information. I have a 50 year old fibreglass hull that would benefit from a new cabin. I think that the Sea Princess cabin would make it look good as a classic motor boat design.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 12:25:10 pm »

This sounds like a great resource if you have a CNC Cutter.

I know that I live in the dark ages but how many hobbyists have a CNC Cutter that will take a sheet of balsa?

Not being awkward but this and 3D printing make me feel like a caveman.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 02:57:03 pm »

....but how many hobbyists have a CNC Cutter that will take a sheet of balsa?

One hope for the original site was that free simple starter plans would attract more youngsters to the hobby - youngsters are at school, and schools should have decent CNC cutters in their workshops... the smaller EeZeBilts only need a sheet a foot long anyway.

I remember that there also used to be council-provided workshop facilities in some places - though I don't know what is happening now...Perhaps clubs might get one - you probably have a friend who has one...

For the bigger EeZeBilts. you are right that a typical hobby CNC cutter has a base about 1ft square. while sheets of balsa are typically 1yd x 4in. Cutters with a big base tend to be expensive commercial ones, and huge to keep in a house or shed. What I did was go to these people:

[size=78%]https://amberspyglass.co.uk/store/eshapeoko-cnc-milling-machine-mechanical-kit.html[/size]

Here you can specify the size of machine you want, and it's cheaper to assemble it yourself. I got an X axis at 1m, and a Y axis at 500mm. It's thin enough to store in the spare room, ideal for wood, and has no difficulty cutting aluminium. I haven't tried steel, but I can't see that it would be a problem.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 11:03:01 am »

And  not many will have an AO printer to reproduce some of the larger designs in PDF form but there are facilities to do this and some users request DXF files for use on CNC cutters - both router and Laser. The fact that Dodgy has put  the time and effort into making the "Easy" way out, for those that have, or have access to these, is to be applauded.

Cos it's there don't mean you have to, a Swann Morton and a pack of No. 11s still works and is far cheaper. O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.