Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Radio Equipment

Converting F14 Tx to 2.4ghz

(1/1)

destroyer42:
Hi All,
I need some help in converting my F14 TX using the Corona 2.4ghz hack and still keep the 40 meg as well. I found the link to IKB post (see link) http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52395.0.html but i'm stuck on where the wires go on the SPDT switch in the photo, but not sure where the others are connected on the switch.
does anyone have a simple drawing diagram of what wire goes where as I dont want to make a mistake?

Regards
Destroyer 42

DocMartin:
The connections needed based upon the first photo of your provided link will require a DPDT switch and NOT a SPDT switch.  The DPDT switch will allow you to separate the POSITIVE (RED) power and the PPM SIGNAL (YELLOW) in order to be switched to either the ANALOG side (F-14 40 MHz) or the DIGITAL side (Corona module). 

First, you will need to cut the two jumpers as shown.  Note that the lowest jumper (not cut in the same photo is the Ground wire jumper).
The topmost jumper is the POSITIVE (red) power feed.  The middle jumper is the SIGNAL/PPM (yellow).  The leftmost cut jumper ends (both red and yellow wires, respectively) should be connected to the middle poles of the DPDT switch.  The rightmost cut jumper ends can be connected to the corresponding upper poles of the DPDT switch.  The wires from the Corona module's POSITIVE power (red) and SIGNAL (orange) should be connected to the matched lower poles of the DPDT switch.
The remaining connection is the GROUND wire from the Corona module (BROWN).  This can be connected to any GND source.  The linked picture you provided appears to have the GROUND (BROWN) connected to the lowest pin of the TRAINER socket.  You will need to confirm that this pin is NEGATIVE or GROUND.  If unsure, you can add this wire to the battery ground wire.
A rough schematic is provided.

destroyer42:
Hi DocMartin,
Many thanks for the explantion and the diagram, it all makes sence now. I can now get on and convert my TX.
Once again thank you.

Regards
Destroyer 42

HMS Invisible:
I found it easier to remove the fm crystal & solder a male connector to mate with the plug of the 2.4GHz module.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version