Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Hello, beginner making first scratch build

(1/2) > >>

Lewis.P:
Hi,
My name is Lewis and I'm new on here. Always been interested in ships and boats and modelling. I've decided to challenge myself to scratch build a model tug boat and as I'm skipper of the tug MT Kittiwake I thought it would be cool to model my own boat (as well as having access to all the ships drawings and plans etc).I've attached images of my scaled up plans that I made from the original drawings. The scale works out at 1:20 as far as I can work out. (24m boat - 1.2m model)I'm planning to use 12mm plywood for the keel and frames and balsa for the planking. If I can successfully get the hull done then I'll be really pleased and then I can move on to building the accommodation etc.
If anyone has any tips on scratch building, particularly tugboats and also any good suppliers of fenders, anchors etc then I would be really grateful.I know this will be an incredibly difficult task but I want to push myself to learn new skills.

Cheers,
 Lewis

Plans removed in case of copyright infringement - Admin  {:-{

John W E:
hi there Lewis

Welcome to the mad house Mayhem  O0

No doubt you will have loads and loads of varying answers here.   But, if you have a look at this topic that we did a long time ago; it may help you and it is just one way of building a hull/model.

Do a good search of the website because there are loads and loads of builds on by a lot of members.

John - click on the link below to take you to the topic.

TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD by Bluebird (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

Lewis.P:
Thats fantastic, thanks and I'll be giving that a read today.I should have mentioned that this will be a display model, not R/C. I'd love to build a fully working R/C ASD tug but I'm going to do this one to see how I get on.
Lewis

Circlip:
Suggest you build it with the capability of being 'Fitted out', practice for next one but can be converted, if you 'Get the bug'.

Regards  Ian.

Umi_Ryuzuki:
Balsa is an easy wood to work for the hull.
It can be laid up in strips, or possibly sheets on a hard chine hull. Use cardboard to size your sheets prior to
cutting balsa plates. It will help you get the curves and edges to fit nice.
This is a fireboat I built up... more than a few years back, showing some of the steps.  :-)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?77749-Voith-Schneider-drives-available

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version