Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Magazine website is changing  (Read 9921 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Model Boats Magazine website is changing
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2023, 05:12:23 pm »

I've tried accessing the site going via Google search and no joy, just getting the maintenance page still.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2023, 05:14:55 pm »

Chris,

Try rebooting your device to clear the cache etc.

Also try this link:

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/

It has just worked for me.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2023, 06:11:08 pm »

After being able to get access (even if with lots of steps) this morning it has gone back to the holding page for me as well.
Colins link is exactly the same.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2023, 06:16:29 pm »

hi there, obviously, there will be one or two glitches to iron out on the new forum - but it will take time :-) I noticed when I was on the new Model Boats forum two minutes ago.   I had a look to see if there was a place to see who is on line.  (Similar to this Forum and the old forum)   There is a caption saying 'members on line - nobody' but I do know I am not that important, but, you know what I thought I would have shown up.   %% %%

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2023, 06:22:25 pm »

I tend to use my tablet for forums. Restarted it and used Colin's link but still get the maintenance page.

I'll try the PC later.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2023, 06:29:54 pm »

There is definitely a problem. The link works on my PC to bring up a new MB window but only gives the holding page on my tablet.

I have reported it again. Very frustrating!

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2023, 06:40:29 pm »

Just heard back from the Webmaster who thinks he has found the issue. The new website is now showing on my tablet with the login and forum options. He says you may still need to clear your cache.

If you do get the login page use your email and password to login as some of the old MB user names have had to be modified as Wordpress doesn't accept them.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2023, 06:43:04 pm »

Colin

Now works but still have all the security questions and mess.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2023, 06:53:34 pm »

Once you have logged on a few times it should only be necessary to tick the 'I'm not a Robot' box. There are some connection checks which should be scaled down when they sort out the webspider issues.

The old site was very vulnerable and my first job virtually every day for the last three years was to delete between five and fifteen false registrations, mainly from Eastern Europe and Russia, because they were not intercepted.

Yes, security is a PITA but as the baddies get cleverer and more persistent do the defences have to be bumped up. It's happening everywhere with many sites such as banks insisting on two step authentication via your phone before you can even look at your accounts.

Just the world we now live in.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2023, 07:02:00 pm »

Once you have logged on a few times it should only be necessary to tick the 'I'm not a Robot' box. There are some connection checks which should be scaled down when they sort out the webspider issues................

Colin
Fingers crossed.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2023, 07:25:11 pm »

I tried that before I posted Colin it made  no difference I used my same  old link just now and its fine

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2023, 07:31:31 pm »

Yes, looks like they overlooked something but I don't know what. Hopefully no more glitches... %)

Colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2023, 07:51:32 pm »

I used Colin's link, got the new page and logged in to the forum. Simples  :-))
I have to admit I have not previously been on the site for quite some time (several months)
Don't Assume Check

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2023, 08:43:14 pm »

Thanks for your continuing efforts on this Colin, much appreciated.

Can access fine now, just got to get used to the different look!!

Chris

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2023, 11:54:03 am »

Been onto all three sites. The best I've found and a PERSONAL opinion only was Flying site followed by Muddle Boats and Oh dear, ME/MEW site, what a mess. Not sure about the 'Participant' title under names are very flattering and an age old rant re post numbers still not applied, yes I've seen the multi digit reply numbers. Perhaps it's an 'evolving' problem and will be sorted but as mentioned on a previously deleted posting, if a massive world leading supplier has to keep changing its product after a couple or three years for a 'Better' product, hobby forums are small beer.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2023, 12:36:59 pm »

Model Flying is probably best as it was developed from scratch pre Covid by MTM with user input. It did take a lot of work and cost quite a bit. The intention by MTM was to convert the ME/MEW and MB forums in the same way using Model Flying as a template.

The crash in income resulting from Covid when the bottom fell out of newstrade sales put paid to that and finances never recovered sufficiently to reinstate the project before sale to Mortons. We were hoping that Mortons would use the Model Flying website as a 'model' for the other two but for reasons that still remain unclear they chose to do something different.

There are still a lot of bugs, fixes and wishlist items being addressed but it will take a while to work through them all. We can expect a lot of these things to be fixed but not necessarily all.

In the meantime, if you are a member of the Model Boats forum then do flag up things you don't like or possible bugs on the New Website Forum Discussion Topic which is a 'sticky' at the head of each subject list. These posts will be looked at and responded to as appropriate either by me or hopefully a Morton's staff member.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2023, 11:03:39 am »

The Model Engineer website Forum seems to be suffering from a lot of problems including bugs and inability to login.

The Model Boats forum is currently running on a separate server and while by no means perfect, does seem to be functional with regular users posting on it. There are still a number of bugs and issues to be addressed and these will be sorted out although the major effort by Mortons at the moment is going into fixing the Model Engineer site problems.

If anyone has tried to access the MB site and been unable to do so then please let me know. It should be possible to view it as a visitor, login under your old email and password or register as a new member.

https://www.modelboats.co.uk

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2023, 10:13:36 am »

Yes Colin, Mortons have created a non forum to go to. Haven't bothered to try the M/E site since a couple of days after it 'Reappeared' in the new format. Saves ten minutes a day.

Regards  Ian.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2023, 11:48:52 am »

Ian,

I have pointed out to Mortons that they need to get the basics right asap as Mayhem is a perfectly acceptable alternative and much bigger although it has a different emphasis to the old MTM forum. There is room for both  but only if the Mortons one is good to use.

I think they are having a managerial pow wow tomorrow.

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2023, 01:16:52 pm »

Would have though the number of adverse comments would have given enough for them to get their fingers out Colin. You can lead a horse to water, but it takes a well aimed posterior kick to make it drink.  O0

Regards   Ian.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2023, 02:45:15 pm »

i have noticed to my horror that the build of Dave Metcalf's "Liverpool Lifeboat ", the I was using as a guide has apparently gone down the heads and is now replaced with a goofy "We don't know where that has gone banner"  Wonder how much more of their archive treasure has gone the same way.

STET  Found it , but had to put in full title;    The search facility would not respond to Just Liverpool Lifeboat. it only responded to "Liverpool class Lifeboat, a Metcalf models kit. " 

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2023, 03:16:23 pm »

i have noticed to my horror that the build of Dave Metcalf's "Liverpool Lifeboat ", the I was using as a guide has apparently gone down the heads and is now replaced with a goofy "We don't know where that has gone banner"

Was it a feature article or a forum thread?

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2023, 03:20:24 pm »

Colin,  see my STET above   Thanks
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2023, 02:13:56 pm »

The improvements to the Latet Replies facility being trialled on the Model Engineer forum are now avaialable on the Model Boats forum. There are still some minor inconsistencies to fix but the feature is now workable.

To see it, go to the Forums home page and you will find a Latest Replies button top left above the list of subject headings (forums). This will take you directly to the last 25 posts which actually sit at the end of the subject headings list. You can also get there by simply scrolling down to the bottom of the headings list. The button will also appear on other pages (but not all for the moment for technical reasons).

25 posts are intended to give an indication of recent activity but at the end of this list there is another link, bottom left, which allows access to earlier replies if you want to go back further.

This essentially replicates the latests posts list on the old forum although it is presented slightly differently.

There may be some further layout changes later on but at least we now have a workable latest posts function.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2023, 03:47:44 pm »

The Model Boats Website Forum now seems to have settled down quite well and those using it generally feel that it is better than the old one. The page layout has been revised but the biggest improvements are that it is much easier to add photos and other media than in the old Forum. Images can be inserted directly into posts and it is easy to set up galleries showing your boats or builds. Check out the FAQ help facilitywhich explains how to do this.

There are still a few quirks but these are pretty minor.

As with the Model Engineer forum, the number of posters fell off after the extended downtime, but are slowly picking up again.

If you were a member of the old forum then you should be able to log in under your old registered email address (not user name) and password. Initial posts may need to be cleared but this is usually done quickly.

All members of the MB forum have access to the ME forum either by logging in separately or using the link at the top of the Model Boats page. I often have alook around on the ME forum at the latest posts as some of the subjects are of interest to us boaters.

Colin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.