Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: glue tamar bridge stairs  (Read 799 times)

howard66spary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
glue tamar bridge stairs
« on: October 08, 2023, 02:16:37 pm »

Good Afternoon                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               The life boat is fast  becoming a job to be shelved or a bin job                                                         Tried to glue treads of perspex to brass bridge step sides thought i had cracked it used gorilla superglue till i went to clean ready for painting fell apart                                                                  i have a range of glues as follows E6ooo    Canopy glue    gorilla glue clear (two part )  jb weld           aralidite epoxy gorilla epoxy ?    yet to try glue activated by ultra sonic light  or mitre glue two part                                                                                                                                                       Thanks Any help would be appeciated  :((     howard66spary

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: glue tamar bridge stairs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 02:35:38 am »

Howerd...the only thing I can think of in providing a reliable joint is brass step treads supported, sweated and soft soldered to the brass stair rails

There are quite a few methods of construction that would be acceptable  %) ..including 1 or 2 drilling & soldering Jigs to ensure correct positioning and alignment during the soldering process O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 11:43:42 am »

For strength it really needs some form of mechanical keyed joint. Could you drill the edges of the perspex treads and the brass sides at the tread position. Then solder brass wire onto the side to fit in the drilled holes in the tread. Then try one of the industrial grade epoxies such as Hysol do do the actual sticking. The outside of the sides can then be cleaned up once the stairs are completed.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 03:41:37 pm »

Sticking bits of perspex to other materials is always problematic.

Looking at illustrations of the Tamar, my thoughts are to make the whole thing out of plasticard using the kit bits as templates. You then have one strong all welded assembly to attach to the boat.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.