Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Newbie Here  (Read 852 times)

BrianS

• Shipmate
  • Retired but still learning.
Old Newbie Here
« on: October 08, 2023, 03:27:31 pm »

Hello, I'm Brian a 75 year old and I'm based in Newton Abbot down here in Devon.

I started building model RC gliders during covid to pass the time and to date I still haven't flown any of them.  I then built a land yacht based on 1.5" plastic tube and then a small Footy sailboat which I enjoyed building.

I'm looking for something a bit bigger to build over the coming winter so at the moment am busy reading forums such as this one to reduce the number of errors that can occur so easily.

Thanks for letting me n.

Brian

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Old Newbie Here
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 04:51:04 pm »

hi there

Welcome to the Forum, Brian.

It may help us to help you, if you can give us an indication of what floats your boat - are you liking tugs, power boats, fishy boats, saily boats, navy lark vessels  :-))  .

Most of us on this Forum do have a favourite sort of boat that we like - some of them like lifey boats.   O0

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 05:44:43 pm »

Also, what materials you are comfortable with , wood, plastics, fibreglass, metals etc...   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 10:32:00 am »

and whatever base material you choose, Martin has a glue for it!    O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

BrianS

• Shipmate
  • Retired but still learning.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 01:39:28 pm »

Thank you for your responses and apologies for the late reply.

My preferred models would be sail boats of some kind that could be used on the water not static models.  Mind you, having said that, I haven't got my little Footy wet yet as the only place that I can find locally to sail it is the local estuary and feeder river.  I have tried contacting my local council to find out about boating ponds or lakes but having been 'forwarded' to the 'correct' department several times have never had the benefit of an answer.  Mind you I did see a recent press release from the council about them going bankrupt and having to put up fees and charges one of which was the £10.85 to sail at a particular leisure park.  Now whether that is a hourly, daily or annual charge I don't know but personally I can't see it solving their money problems  somehow.

One drawback that comes with that idea is that of boat recovery if something goes wrong.  I am leaning towards something like a small airboat as it should avoid any potential weeds and similar things.

As regards materials I tend to favour balsa and ply although some of the larger model that I've looked at do seem to have a GRP skin for protecton. But I prefer to build a hull as against having a preformed shape to work from.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 02:04:06 pm »

I believe there is a club that sails at Canonteign Falls (not sure of the spelling). Might be worth popping over there and asking the staff. A friend of mine used to be the manager there (he's a bus driver now, based around your way), I could ask him if he knows who to contact.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.