Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change of plan (and model)  (Read 888 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Change of plan (and model)
« on: October 10, 2023, 03:51:54 pm »

My next build was going to be the Liverpool Lifeboat kit which I have standing in the corner of the room, but as I am a wood and metal git I have decided to flog it and instead do a bare wood version of the 40 ft CMB4 similar to the one in the NMM. I have a file of the drawing in the Imperial War Museum but that does not have any body lines , just plan and elevation. What I do have is the full framing plans of the NMM 55ft CMB produced by MMI(MAR3311). Both are Blanche Thorneycroft designed and follow similar if not identical lines. My thoughts are to photocopier reduce the 55ft frame profiles by 75% and this will hopefully give a 40ft model which will pass muster . The overall sizes would appear correct for length and beam
I have read that Portsmouth No 4 shed, in building their re-creation CMB40 have digitised the plans they created but from experience I do not think there would be much future in trying to obtain copies for modelling purposes , that would be too commercial. 
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Change of plan (and model)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 04:13:06 pm »

Now that is a Cunning Plan. {-)

I'll get me coat !  %)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 04:29:21 pm »

The sale has also helped to fund your timber addiction  :embarrassed:
Pond weed is your enemy

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 10:14:46 am »

I presume you've got this one as well as the plan/elevation one? https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205327218 I'll ask around here as well because Augustus Agar VC, who drove CMB4, went to school here in Framlingham and is a bit of a local hero.TonyPS, just found this https://prints.rmg.co.uk/collections/ship-plans/products/lines-plan-for-cmb1-1916-j9297

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 04:53:05 pm »

Tony, thanks for that . I have previously searched that database but the lines plan never came up for me, perhaps because I was searching for CMB4 not just CMB . I'm obliged to you.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 09:54:14 am »

Serendipity! The trouble with Thornycroft is that their archives are rather large and in loads of odd places so it really is pot luck. :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 02:08:13 pm »

Just checked and the old Model  Shipwright quarterly has a plan for the 40 ft CMB in edition number 96. This is what they call a modellers draught and is on a double sided sheet with one side giving hull lines and cross sections and the other showing details of the cockpit and torpedo mechanism. Drawings are 3/4 inch to the foot (1/16) scale with a 2 page article on the boat which includes details of hull numbers and builders. The hull length on the drawing is 30 inches.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 03:13:32 pm »

Just checked and the old Model  Shipwright quarterly has a plan for the 40 ft CMB in edition number 96. This is what they call a modellers draught and is on a double sided sheet with one side giving hull lines and cross sections and the other showing details of the cockpit and torpedo mechanism. Drawings are 3/4 inch to the foot (1/16) scale with a 2 page article on the boat which includes details of hull numbers and builders. The hull length on the drawing is 30 inches.
Jim

JimG --- Fantastico  that was another item I have been hunting for but did not know which edition it was in  O0

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 03:18:26 pm »

As an item of interest my friend up at the bowls club served an apprenticeship with Thornycroft at their yard on the Thames at Hampton  building MTB,s The shed that went up in flames a while back.

JohnG

• Full Mayhemer
  • enjoying the learning
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 07:39:50 pm »

there's a video of the building of the replica here
https://youtu.be/TUT3fxY1DnU?si=uPUj4P1ZMKeKx4lU

i've skimmed it rather than watch the full video, but at about minute 2 it refers to the plans for the 40 ft boat at greenwich. There are various plans in the video including hull lines at 3 min 20 - possibly detailed enough to work from.
Maritime museum plans are expensive to buy the scans but you can visit and photograph them for free.

also (probably less useful) there's a model of a 55 ft cmb that i saw in the 'forgotten fighters' gallery at nmm greenwich.
https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-67382

here are the more detailed pics i took at the time..
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hapAv1mmDYAvMnMcs6Onb7LJBICGMblh?usp=sharing

hope this helps. They’re elegant boats, it would be nice to see your eventual model.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 09:36:09 pm »

Hi Jim .

I am astounded, from scratching around I now have a plethora of great information to work with I really almost grateful to you all.  I went on Ebay and got a copy of the Model Shipwright Mag and plan and blow me down it hit my doormat this morning , the plan is pristine and gives all the information . The Utube is also a great resource, I have bookmarked it on my PC

Cheers, Balders
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.