Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member intro Erik  (Read 655 times)

ErikvG

• Shipmate
  • I love technology and engineering!
New member intro Erik
« on: October 28, 2023, 08:05:29 am »

Hello to all of you,
I am a new member of the forum and decided to join in order to obtsin knowledge about modeeling aspects and also to share my experience in modelling (I have no ship modelling experience, but have knowledge as a scratch builder of 0-scale steam locomotives in brass, using CAD techniques).Building progress will not be fast due to still having a full time job in information security and also owning a military oldtimer vehicle and an MG B (actually my wife owns this one).
The reason for joining the forum is that I want to built a model of the Royal Navy dispatch vessel HMS Alert (based on Loch Class, Bay Class firgates of WW2 origin). My late father in law was her last Commanding Officer and he sailed her from January 1963 till May 1964 when she was layed up in Devonport.  I also have researched my father in laws whereabout in the Royal Navy on his request (he served from July 1943 (as a boy signalman) till September 1971 (retired with the rank of Captain) and this research has resulted in over 1600 pages of information, inlcuding the ship's logs of the ships he sailed in and a library to big to fit in one Ikea Billy book cabinet.
I will start another topic in the right spot on this forum to discuss the things I experience in the building process.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New member intro Erik
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 09:01:08 am »

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to your build posts  :-))
Regards,

Rich

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 09:37:03 am »

Welcome to the forum.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 02:43:03 pm »

Welcome
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 06:18:21 pm »

Hi Erik,

I look forward to seeing your build!

There are so many ways to build a warship model especially as JohnG is building them from printed parts designed in a drawing program.

It depends on what technique you fancy using really. Plank on frame is an art which is definitely achievable and there may be kits available from companies like Deans Marine etc. Fibreglass is not my favourite material and you can do without using it either as a hull or as a coating/lining for a wooden hull. RAF Launches has a build (HMS Courageous I think) where the GRP free technique is shown.

Anyhow, enjoy the project and put lots of pictures and descriptions up and don't be afraid to ask questions if the multitude of topics and helpful subjects don't assist you.
Pond weed is your enemy

ErikvG

• Shipmate
  • I love technology and engineering!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 08:05:49 am »

Thank you all very much for the welcome.
My build will probably a bit slow due to other activities, but also because of research which is time consuming.
I don't know whether I will go for a Plank-on-Frame, but I have got myself a GRP DeansMarine hull. The hull has some nice plating added, but if the lighting is wrong, the plating looks like heavy armor (see second picture on the Deansmarine forum https://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=116.msg573#msg573.
I will start a new topic in the warship section for HMS Alert and the relevant information about the Loch and bay class frigates it was derived from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.