The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Gasoline engines

(1/5) > >>

TomF:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but since my interest is pleasure/leisure boats I put it here.
Has anyone any experience/suggestions for fitting a gasoline engine in a largish and scalish model boat (1m in length)
Like the Holt tractor engine and inline-six and inline-four[size=78%] but worry about being too noisy.[/size]

https://www.enginediy.com/products/h75-12cc-vertical-4-cylinder-ohv-gas-engine-internal-combustion-engine-tractor-engine-model-with-mechanical-speed-limit-complete-water-circulation-cooling-system?variant=42269260677334

https://www.stirlingkit.com/collections/4-stroke-engine/products/howin-l6-210-21cc-straight-six-gasoline-engine-model-building-kits-water-cooled

Thanks

1967Brutus:
I have no direct experience with the engines you linked, but I DO own the Toyan V-8.

There is no doubt that these engines "run", somewhat, but boy.... they are basically nice discussion items, not engineered or designed to actually power something.

Don't expect any meaningful power OR service life out of them.
I was a bit appalled at design features that should be a matter of "Duh" for any engine designer worth his salt, like for example ignition plugs recessed about 6 or 7 mm into their threads, meaning a very poor ignition and combustion behaviour, a cooling system with water inlets that are WAY too small to allow proper flow for the amount of heat generated, weird and unsuitable crankshaft support bearing design, intake systems that are WAY too small and restrictive, let alone totally mismatched for symetrical fuel/air distribution, and such.

They most definitely LOOK the part, but as a functional engine capable of delivering meaningful power (and I do not even mean "all out power", just "useful" would be enough) they most likely will not satisfy.

Of course, everything can be modified or corrected, and I am sure someone with the right skills can make something nice out of them.

TomF:
Thanks Brutus

My motivation for using a gas engine is the right one might look like something special in the right boat. Useful power would be good, but its a risk I'm willing to take.
It would be great to hear from someone who has put a gas engine in a boat.

Tom

1967Brutus:

--- Quote from: TomF on October 28, 2023, 03:27:05 pm ---Thanks Brutus

My motivation for using a gas engine is the right one might look like something special in the right boat. Useful power would be good, but its a risk I'm willing to take.
It would be great to hear from someone who has put a gas engine in a boat.

Tom

--- End quote ---

Depends on what you want to know and what you consider "putting a gas engine in a boat"... I mean, fitting a 2-stroke screamer, anybody can do that but that won't be too much fun in anything that's not a speedboat, right?

Few years ago, I modified a 5 cc glow fourstroke to run on gasoline, made it run 1500 RPM and put it in a random hull, and liked it so much that I currently have just started building a decent boat for it.

Done properly (reliability and noise) it is a delight.
I can totally see an open launch with that engine of your first link (that tractor engine) to be a visual thing to behold, and the way it is set up leaves plenty options for some pretty cool engineering, such as instead of a radiator a heat exchanger and a controlled temperature, a nice bulky flywheel to get real low RPM and either a reversing gear or a controllable pitch prop to have a bit of manouverability.
But I am, looking at the reviews, pretty sure one needs to know his way around small engines in order to make something reliable out of it.

Here's my project, that back then never got past the experimental stage due to the hull being too small to make something nice out of it (which, as I said, I am doing something about right now):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfBbg45IYmk

But I can tell you beforehand that it will need a decent ignition (the one included most probably is not suitable for RC(RF noise) and you most definitely will want to get rid of that mechanical "governor"...

TomF:
Thanks that sounds interesting, do you have any resource links for a suitable open launch?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version