Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fierce Small Soldier  (Read 771 times)

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
Fierce Small Soldier
« on: November 06, 2023, 10:03:11 pm »

After completing my RC Sherman Tank and still pondering on another Winter project, I spent a little while in the shed sorting out some shelving to accept my current fleet.
I found hidden at the back of one shelf a box containing 26 cast white metal  parts , which after much head-scratching built up into this fierce looking chap.
My wife and I bought the original model for my son  around 10/12 years ago but he never got round to building or painting it, preferring to concentrate on 28 mm figures from the 100 Years War and Napoleonic periods.
After a quick word  with my son he agreed to let me have a go and this is the result.
The figure is around 6 inches tall and weighs in at around 850 grams ... one heck of a lump.
Produced by Ray Lamb and Frank Hinchcliffe ( of Mountfleet Models fame) the figure dates back to the mid 70's and was, I believe, pretty pricey at the time and is now quite rare.
The figure is based on a Samurai Archer / Commander from the 12th Century.
The casting isn't quite as crisp as more recent Military Figures but I've thoroughly enjoyed spending a couple of hours each day over the past couple of weeks  assembling all the bits, mixing paints and detailing the project.
I'm quite happy with how he's turned out but that Kyudo Bow is very vulnerable to breakage !

Regards
Terry H

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Fierce Small Soldier
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 10:23:14 pm »

Lovely work.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 10:45:39 pm »

Any Frank Hinchcliffe figure from the 70's is indeed a very collectible piece and in this size would have been a very valuable item to a serious collector.  I'm so pleased to see that you enjoyed building it and painting it, which was what Frank intended for it, not to sit at the back of a cupboard while a collector calculates how much it has appreciated in value!

Superb job.  It would look superb in a glass bell case to protect it.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 12:15:06 pm »

Thanks both for your kind comments...

Some time after Frank passed away I purchased a Mountfleet Puffer ( still one of my favourite and atmospheric models). A couple of parts were missing and after ringing Franks' wife she said she would post them or I could collect.
By chance I had some work up near Doncaster so I took the collect option,on my way home.
On arrival , Franks wife sorted the parts required, offered  tea ad biscuits and a viewing of the production sheds in the garden,very interesting indeed... also in glass cover was what I believe to be the original Samurai Archer, beautifully finished and detailed along with some other military figures.
A very interesting hour or two spent in the memory of one of the UK's prestige modellers.

Kind regards
Terry H

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 04:59:49 pm »

What an honour to meet up with his wife. I had meet Frank on many occasions way back when (I cannot disclose when because you will all know I am really old  :embarrassed: )
I do have some of his models in my collection, and they are most treasured  :-))

And I have to say your model is absolutely brilliant and Frank would have been proud

You have to be congratulated my friend
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.