Sales, Wants & TRADERS > Traders Section

do models have "soul" a sad story

(1/5) > >>

Dean's Marine:
 Do model boats have “soul” ?
Being short of space for the storage of new models it was decided a clear out of one of the storage sheds.
 Lots of “useful junk” was removed and piled up for study, way in the back of the shed under piles of boxes a very large transport case, on removing the lid  it is a Blue Leopard model, not only that, it is my own model not a works prototype, my one I paid for and build in my own time. She has not seen the light of a lake for possibly 15 years.
Inside was a very sorry state, the mice have been in and made a nest on the top, chewed through the sails and the rigging, chewed up all the stanchions and made a lot of a mess, heart braking to see.
   It is covered in nesting materials and a lot of dropping all over the planked decks
 Move it in to the workshop for when space is cleared on the bench, a clean up and see if anyone is brave enough to buy it and take it on. We need the space and have no time.
 Every time I walked by, it brought back many memories from all the years ago it never let me down, it was always a beautiful model to drive and sail,
 It won lots of trophies was always admired, many times I went to the lake with it, just for a sail / drive, not work or testing, just to sit and enjoy.
 It it was a pet with “soul” what would it feel ?   for many years it went with you all over the UK, never let you down, always brought a smile, travelled all over Europe to exhibitions and competitions, was enjoyed, cleaned and polished and cared for, many happy hour spent together.
 I have a classic car, after a good day out in the sun I pat it, and to it and myself and the cars ?  well done ?  Silly really. It just a car
 Then one day Bue Loepard it is packed in a dark box and shut up in a dark and silent shed, does it sit there waiting to be let out again in the sunshine and wondering why its owner has done this to it, what has it done wrong. ?
I am sure it was looking at me with big sad eyes evert time I went past it ?
 In the end I could not do it,  dispose of it,
 I will find the time, Christmas break is coming,  no matter how long takes it will sail again.
 Stupid I know it is just fibreglass, plastic, metal, etc, just a toy.
  It you disagree with me. Do, but I do not care, so do not waste your time telling me, and I am sure the usual trolls will just that.
  I will try and keep you updated if you wish, one day she will sail again ?
 See her on the water here, many years ago from a 8mm film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnyhy6-7wzE&t=11s
 and the full size ship the showroom model with my one, on the water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewER20ff00Y&t=351s
   Ron

Dave_S.:
I remember seeing that model sail at Sandown Park, the pictures in the magazines were taken there.

I think the 'soul' of a model is the result of the amount of patient, careful work you put into its construction. I am looking forward to its resurrection.

I also talk to so-called inanimate objects, in my case my treasured Harley Davidson. If I need to go to the garage to get something, I always pat it and tell it why we aren't going for a ride today, and I tell it where we are going when I do take it out.

KitS:
Ooooooh a Blue Leopard! One of the kits I always lusted after, but only once they'd gone out of production of course.

Such a lovely looking ship, both in full size and in model form.

raflaunches:
Sorry to see your Blue Leopard in this state Ron. I know that certain models certainly behave like they have a 'soul'. Some days they behave and others they throw massive spanners into the works! I know that my aircraft in the RAF could have characteristics of having a soul as some behaved themselves beautifully most of the time but there were others you just knew they were planning something! I think models are more similar to their full size counterparts than we think.

roycv:
Hi Ron I remember seeing it with you on your stand at the now gone Pangbourne model boat show.  I had asked the then editor of Matime Modelers Int if I could build a review model which came to nought.

But I remember you letting me take her out on the lake and sailing her, excellent sailor.  She was already on my favourite list a long while before the kit was developed.  I had cut out the article in Yachting Monthly on her in the late 1960s and was looking at the possibilities.

I hope you will post pictures of her sailing.  By the way will you be keeping the screwed down perspex cover inside her?
regards
Roy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version