Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TSS St Petersburg then TSS Archangel, a personal connection this time!  (Read 613 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!

Hello all! On 16th May 1941 the troopship Archangel was bombed and sunk with a sizeable loss of lives, in the North Sea. She was carrying a large number of troops, mainly Royal Artillery, from Kirkwall to Aberdeen. My dad should have been on board but was held back with appendicitis. I reckon it's the right thing to finally build a model as my memorial to him, his mates and his archangel!So, she was built by John Brown, Clydebank as St Petersburg in 1910 for Great Eastern Railways, Harwich. I presume Glasgow Uni should have plans, unless you know different. Harwich archives should have more info and they're not a million miles away. If anyone knows any more I'd be grateful.With Koningin Wilhelmina at the point where lots of fiddly bits need to be made it'll give me a decent time for preliminary plotting over the wintery weeks.
Thanks
Tony 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: TSS St Petersburg then TSS Archangel, a personal connection this time!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 11:33:40 pm »

She'll be a super memorial Tony. I look forward to see your progress.
Pond weed is your enemy

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: TSS St Petersburg then TSS Archangel, a personal connection this time!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 01:20:17 pm »

It's quite good fun, this research bit, especially when the rabbit holes lead to the unexpected!                                            So, for example, Archangel could easily have ended her military career very early when, at the end of the first naval action of WW1 at the start of April 1914 when she was taking the German ambassador back home. She was, unfortunately ( %% ) wearing Imperial German colours as was correct, so when she was noticed by the RN flotilla, who had just sunk an enemy minelayer disguised as a passenger ferry, it was "Tally Ho chaps" and almost a nasty until she raised her Red Ensign.   From the start of WW2 she was based at Southampton and was involved at Dunkirk but she was also involved further up the coast and although not really her story it's when the words "diamonds", "crown jewels" and especially "heavy water" crop up.......... O0 http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/against-all-odds-%E2%80%93-saint-valery-en-caux-june-1940.101461/           Just to add, this is what happened where my dad (182/65 RA) could have been involved.
Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.