Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPES as a primer for Varnish  (Read 630 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
CPES as a primer for Varnish
« on: November 23, 2023, 02:33:31 pm »

Hi All

On my previous build of the Amati Riva Aquarama I used a thinned (isopropyl alcohol) mix of Z-Poxy Finishing Resin as the first couple of coats on the bare mahogany planking, followed by silly number of coats of (thinned) International 'Original' Yacht varnish.

The approach seemed to work well aesthetically and in my mind sealed the wood very well, I used the thinned resin to coat the inside of the hull too. Thinning it just makes it penetrate well, so again in my mind I felt it's also strengthened the hull.

I'm now building another larger Aquarama, and I'm starting to think about how to waterproof and coat the hull.  There's a product out there, 'Smiths Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer' (CPES)'.

Link is here:

https://www.makewoodgood.co.uk/product/cpes-clear-penetrating-epoxy-sealer/

Reviews say it has a consistency more like water than epoxy so penetrates very well, also that it forms a great base for 'suitable' varnishes, in particular Epifanes High Gloss, which was already on my list to consider for the new build. I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried it...  The Z-Poxy approach worked 'quite' well, but it does have a yellowish tint, it's also tricky to find at the moment and finally I was never that comfortable thinning it...  (FYI the International varnish has a tint too...)

So, anyone tried the CPES approach..?

Best regards to all.
David.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: CPES as a primer for Varnish
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 12:37:03 pm »

Hi David,
Sorry i've not tried the CPES but it looks a really interesting product but a bit pricey ( I watched the "how to mix" video and it is just like water!).
I'd be keen for you to feedback (if you decide to try it) as i've got a boat to do too and was going to use Z-Poxy (but it does have a definite tinge).
I did see a solvent free "equivalent" from totalboat.com (not sure if you can get it in the UK) but again quite expensive to try out.

Cheers,
Mark

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 09:39:10 pm »

Hi Mark

Belated thanks for your comments on the CPES, I kept having a look around and have purchased some of the Hempel 599 epoxy sealer, it seems a similar low viscosity epoxy formulated for good penetration.  Just seems a little more mainstream and better availability.

https://www.mbfg.co.uk/hempel-epoxy-sealer.html

I'll be applying it soon, then testing the Le Tonkinois and Epifanes varnishes to see how they behave when applied over the Hempel..  And I'll report back..!

What build do you have in mind..?

Best regards
David.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 05:44:01 pm »

Hi David,
Great that you have decided on a product and I'll be interested to see your results.

I've avoided having to make a decision by not doing very much!
I'm building a Riva Aquarama from the Sarik plans (bought the frames from them too). Bit of a learning curve as I've only ever built kits before and planking has been, lets say, a challenge.
Cheers,
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.