Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Radio Equipment

Rx sick (or dead)

(1/1)

Corposant:
I have had a FrSky X7 Taranis Q transmitter and X8R receiver for several years without any problems. The Rx is mounted on the electronics tray of my Northlight puffer. A few weeks ago there was a minor problem with the boom pulley system. Putting it right did not go smoothly (the ravages of time have taken their toll on bone and brain!). I ended up having to re-thread the whole system! This required removing the electronics tray (which has 11 connecting leads).

On re-connecting, all channels were working but, a few days later, when demonstrating the system to great grandson, I found only Ch. 1 (throttle) was working. I plugged Ch. 2 (rudder) into Ch. 1 and it did not work and neither did the throttle plugged into Ch. 2. (The Rx LED = green)

At this stage, I found an 800 mA fuse had blown - this in line from auxiliary 6v battery supplying bilge pump (non RC), winch motor, hoist and raising/lowering the boom. Having replaced the fuse, no channels on the Rx work and it's LED is red. (I couldn't find a reason for the fuse to blow and it has remained intact.)

First thought was to try rebinding the Rx to the Tx. After numerous failed attempts, have given up. Before investing in a replacement Rx, I wondered if anyone could shed any light or offer an opinion!

Mike

John W E:
hi there

first thing I would personally do, myself, is I would remove the receiver from the boat so the receiver stands alone on the bench.   I would then connect a separate power supply to it and a servo.   Go through each channel, one at a time, just to see which channels are working.
This would give you a good indication of whether the fault lies with the receiver, or, whether the fault is within the boat.

Just on the minus side though, I have had one FrSky receiver burn out when it was accidentally connected to 9 volt.

John

cos918:
one thing to check is that all the plugs that plug in to the reciver are the correct way around. One the wrong way will not work .

Corposant:
Hi Cos,
Thanks for the thought - but,yes, the polarity is correct!
Regards,
Mike

Corposant:
The question has been answered! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rx!!

After finding only channel 1. (throttle) working, I checked the voltage of the 4.8v Nimh Rx battery pack = OK. Next event was the discovery of the blown fuse (auxillary circuit), which made me wonder if a problem with the circuitry had caused the Rx to fail (and if I bought a replacenment, would the same thing happen!).

After numerous attempts at re-binding, I decided to try my old 40 mHz set. (Snag: found the Tx but gave up trying to find the Rx!) Last resort - try my son's 35mHz set - last used over 20 years ago! This, several times, managed to turn the prop - but only for a few seconds. On measuring the current flowing through the Rx, it was initially c. 800 mA but fell quite rapidly to c. 50 mA. This was a mystery to me because the 4.8v battery pack was reading 4.77v.

Chatting to my son, who had not used re-chargeable batteries in his system, he said that Li-ion batteries worked at full power but then stopped quite suddenly when they needed re-charging. It would appear the same is true of Nimh cells. It seems that I have learned an important lesson very late in life! Having charged all the batteries and after a successful re-bind, everything now works!

Here's wishing you and your families a very happy Christmas!

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version