Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Car battery?  (Read 3085 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Car battery?
« on: December 03, 2023, 10:07:48 am »

I think my car battery is dying.... any advice / recommendations for a replacement?

12v 92AH 900A crank

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
Re: Car battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 11:39:42 am »

Tanya batteries have sorted me for batteries over the last few years

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 12:28:58 pm »

May be worth trying one of the online suppliers who offer local fitting or delivery if you want to do the job yourself. Usually you can jut enter your registration plate and it comes up with a list of options.

This is the time of year for failing batteries, they are OK during the warmer months but the drop in temperatures exposes those in poor condition. Mine is now six years old and I'm rather expecting the same. The car is fitted with the stop/start in traffic feature so needs a higher capacity than standard batteries.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 12:35:35 pm »

Yes, about the same Colin.

... I did read on one website that car's with stop/start need to be 'programmed' if battery changed...?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 12:53:51 pm »

I did read on one website that car's with stop/start need to be 'programmed' if battery changed...?!

Yes, the extent depends on the car as a lot of settings can be lost and return to default plus the car may have to relearn your driving mode.

However, it is apparently possible to use an external backup battery to maintain power while the swap takes place.

Colin

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 01:27:08 pm »

I've always changed mine with the engine running so never lost info/ settings.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 03:39:46 pm »

I've heard of that being done but is not generally advised as it can damage the allternator. Todays cars are so complicated electronically that it doesn't take much to glitch them and then it can cause a lot of expensive problems. Depends on the car obviously.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 03:50:56 pm »

hi there

Here is another question for us - do you reckon the batteries from about 20 year ago - were of a better quality than today's.

I still have my Volvo S80 D5 - which I have had from the very first Mayhem in 2006!  The battery in it at first lasted about 10 years - and it was the original battery which came with the car.    Never needed to charge it or anything, apart from when it was charged in the car by the engine.   

Since 2016 it has had 3 new batteries, 1 fitted by Halford and 2 fitted by Volvo.   Some of the mechanics at Volvo say they are only guaranteeing their batteries for about 2 years.   So, at the moment the car has let me down twice - and this is the last time - as it is on charge now and I have been pricing around for new batteries in the North East.   Halfords seem to be the cheapest ones and I was thinking of a Yuasa battery because with that they say there is 5 year warranty.   

see you at Halfords  O0 .

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 04:44:20 pm »

Stationed in the 50/60's in Germany  we all had our names on our batts. Every morning somebody would usually have a flat one so out would come one from one of us that were running. Get his car going then swap back they were only 6V then.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 11:20:13 pm »

I think my car battery is dying.... any advice / recommendations for a replacement?

12v 92AH 900A crank

Last time I needed a battery I scanned the net and found a site called 'The  Battery Guys' ran the cheapest with good reviews. So i ordered from them. Then a couple of days later an emergency occurred - I needed the car - and had to rapidly buy an expensive battery at Halfords.  I phoned TBG up wondering if I could cancel,  and they said that they were sorry they could not get the battery to me in two days, and so would not charge even though the battery was now on its way to me.

So I now have a spare battery for the car. I haven't used it yet so can't comment on quality, but their service is first class....

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 02:23:04 am »

A good battery supplier or mechanic should be able to load test your battery to make sure that's the problem.  I replaced a perfectly good battery in my 01 Ranger because it would periodically fail to start on the first or second crank... then I found out it the fuel pump was shot and I paid all that money for no reason~  %%
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 02:31:17 am »

A good battery supplier or mechanic should be able to load test your battery to make sure that's the problem.  I replaced a perfectly good battery in my 01 Ranger because it would periodically fail to start on the first or second crank... then I found out it the fuel pump was shot and I paid all that money for no reason~  %%

"Great thinking batman!"   :-)) 

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2023, 07:35:22 am »

I had the battery replaced on my B Max (everything is electric including heated seats) by the local auto parts store (High Road, Southport) who were absolutely brilliant, I had lost the radio code card and the radio is built into the car. They used a slave battery to keep all the electrics wired and bingo no issues. What I did notice was how awkward it was to get at the battery, glad I didn't have to do it, also it was fitted free of charge unlike Halfords who wanted, as I remember, around £20.
    Try your local auto shops Martin they may offer a similar service, worth a go.
            Good luck.
                 Cheers, Pete  :-))

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2023, 08:04:55 am »

If you arn't sure what you are doing there is enormous potential for a short circuit here which could be very expensive to sort out.

The question has arisen about cars loosing their settings if the battery is connected. This seems to vary between makes. I have heard that VW Audi used to have this problem whilst Volvo don't. All rumour & most certainly not to be relied on! If it is true it is very silly as quits a few jobs are better done with the battery disconnected.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2023, 10:21:03 am »

The last time I had a battery replaced was about 2 years ago by a local firm and they used the diagnostic port to plug in a small 12 volt battery so all the settings were not lost when they removed the battery. You can do this yourself if to have a small lead acid or burglar alarm 12 volt battery. Just connect positive to positive and negative to negative to the battery terminals then remove the old battery and replace.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2023, 10:21:51 am »

I meant to add Halfords aren't bad at this sort of thin g and you can get a 5 year warranty which is useful.

Geoff

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2023, 10:42:58 am »

Mine was done through the diagnostic port also. Years ago I had grief with the replacement to my Audi A4 nobody wanted to do the work. I ended up having my trousers removed at the local Audi dealers, as I remember the cost was over double Halfords price. Apparently the diagnostic port method is how the Ford agents carry out a battery replacement.
      Keep smiling Martin.
         Cheers, Pete  :-)) :-)) :-))

Mrs Stav

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2023, 12:59:21 pm »

Stav is saying DO NOT BUY A LION make substandard quality gtee is not worth the paper it is written on

Varta Exide he is saying is what he would reccomend

Kelly
Where's the cake ??? I only joined for the cake !!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 03:09:02 pm »

Well this is turning into a thing now!
Halfords said, 'they can't and won't change the battery'.
Quotes now ranging from £160 - £417!
Apparently, many garages won't change stop start batteries...?!?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 03:49:57 pm »

What car is it Martin?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 04:12:15 pm »

Halfords Website say they can change stop start batteries.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/advice/start-stop-battery-fitting.html

During the Summer, I looked up the cost of a new battert for my Mazda 6 using the registration nuimber and it came up with options for around £150. The car is 6 years old so, while well specified, doesn't have all the latest gizmos. Just checked again and Halfords have a quote for £142 but the battery isn't in stock. Managed to find some other quotes for mainstream manufacturers varying between £175 and around £250 (the latter fitted).

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 04:51:30 pm »

My wife is on the phone to her cousin at the moment, he drives a Tesla. I don't think it's a good idea to ask him how much a replacement battery would be for that!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 06:54:35 pm »

:o   ......  {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2023, 07:02:41 pm »

Today, 5.30pm

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2023, 07:07:15 pm »

That looks like the expensive type for larger vehicles Martin - are you driving a Humvee?

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.