Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

Removal of sterntube from Epoxy treated wooden hull

(1/2) > >>

1967Brutus:
Hi all,

Can anyone help me with the following:

I have purchased a wooden hull, waterproofed inside and out with Epoxy.
In that hull installed is a sterntube (as far as I can see brass tunnel) that needs to come out alltogether without damaging the hull.

I intend to heat the tube to the breakdown point of Epoxy and pry it loose.
The trouble is: How do I apply heat without damaging the hull? I mean, I can most likely not use a burner or I will char the hull.

I can think of inserting a sacrificial "shaft" and run some high current through it, but what source do I use for that current?
Perhaps I can let that shaft protrude far enough to be able to heat one end with a flame but I am not sure how hot things have to get to get the heat soaking all the way through.

Maybe I can run hot air from an electric paint stripper through but how do I duct that hot air?

Anybody any experience with a job like this?

All tips, hints or tricks are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Bert

1967Brutus:
Never mind, 5 minutes after posting, I found the Portasol soldering set I forgot I had... It contains a very tiny burner so small that I can put the burner head IN the tunnel.

Took all of 5 minutes to loosen the Epoxy.

Getting the tunnel out is a matter of elbow-steam but pretty straight forward: Twisting to break friction while pulling.
Excruciatingly slow, but doable.

Capt Podge:
Well, thanks for posting up this solution Bert - I've got a similar situation to deal with further down the queue of models for rebuilding.

Cheers,

Ray.

Treble:
To limit the spread of heat to adjacent areas would suggest you look at using La-Co Cool Gel.  It ain't cheap , but it is good . Once you got it you will be surprised how many uses you'll find for it.  I use a similar American version , which is water soluble , and I can hold a 15mm copper pipe in one hand whilst soldering on a fitting a relatively short distance away with only the gel barrier between. Trevor.

JimG:
If you don't have a small enough burner then you could use a soldering iron. One of around 25 watts generally has a bit the right size to go inside the stern tube and heat it up.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version