Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detail work fillers for plywood adhere to paint advice  (Read 467 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Detail work fillers for plywood adhere to paint advice
« on: January 25, 2024, 12:39:49 am »

Hello

I am looking for the best options for filling in on a plywood skin. Has anyone one here used
resin and wood dust mix to fill in chips and build up sand and shape edges, on a plywood skin to be primer and painted ? Or what would be the best products to use for this sort of finish detail work .
The plywood skin for my boat project was cut from a CnC router which must have skipped a little bit when the part was originally cut out, left with a few very small rough edges and the bottom corners cut into a bit so I wanted build up fill sand and shape square the bottom edges and all around give the part a nice clean look to it  Any help would be appreciated

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Detail work fillers for plywood adhere to paint advice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 08:39:40 am »

Hi
I have used a Super Glue & Baking soda mix,
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Detail work fillers for plywood adhere to paint advice
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 12:14:40 pm »

This could give problems with sanding as it is much harder than the ply. My preferred filler now is epoxy mixed with microballoons. Mixed to a thick paste it holds its shape when added and will sand well at the same rate as the wood. A runny mix can be painted on as a primer, the resin soaks into the surface of the ply hardening it while the microballons make it easier to sand to a smooth finish. Wet and dry sandpaper used wet is best for sanding this, add a drop of washing up liquid to the water to stop it clogging.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.