Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member - Wanting guidance and tipe for first plan build boat please  (Read 1163 times)

MikeTMechanic

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hello all, it is around 35 years since i last built a boat and would like some guidance as to the tools needed for building a boat from plans please, advice on adhesives, what material you build the hull on and any other pointers would be hugely and gratefully received.

Many thanks

Michael

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Member - Wanting guidance and tipe for first plan build boat please
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 03:26:28 pm »

Mike,

There is a huge amount of information on this site under the various headings. Why not spend a while browsing around as that will answer many of your questions and give you some idea of what type of boat you might like to build. Then you can focus in on this and be in a postition to ask more specific questions. Do you want to build a kit or something directly from plans for example.

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 06:22:08 pm »

As Colin has said, lots of advice here,
A few questions though, how big a boat do you want, I am guessing it will be electric powered (not my thing) there are some very good kits out there or you can build from Scratch/plans it all depends on what you are building.
As for glues, there are so many out there, cyno (superglue) is good for tacking (although it does work for small craft) beware cyno is NOT water proof, so lots of paint.
I personally prefer slow acting glue, but I only work with wood.
Hope some of this helps,
And welcome to the forum
Steamed up all the time

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 08:43:30 pm »

One of my Mantras is to build a boat that you can sail in the majority of conditions as it is dispiriting to go to the water only to find it is too rough, too windy or raining. Have a look at a fishing boat as it handles all that is mentioned and they all have character, nemesis

MikeTMechanic

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 07:38:23 am »

Many thanks Colin,

I already have a set of plans, it is called Vamoose from Sarik Hobbies and had them a few years. It is actually for my girlfriend as I like land and air based models but she loves water and boats so am going to build her a boat that she chose.

The main question i would like guidance on is does everyone use a keel board to build to or do you build the hull inverted ?

Many thanks again everyone

Mike,

There is a huge amount of information on this site under the various headings. Why not spend a while browsing around as that will answer many of your questions and give you some idea of what type of boat you might like to build. Then you can focus in on this and be in a postition to ask more specific questions. Do you want to build a kit or something directly from plans for example.

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 08:36:32 am »

I have the magazine that featured this plan (Model Boats Winter special 2011) so could scan the article that accompanied the plan for you if would like it.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 09:17:54 am »

Vamoose is a nice looking model but note that Sarik suggest that it is a model for experienced builders.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 09:57:13 am »

HI Sir could you put on a pic an size as it must be a fair size if you want to sail in rough wheather ?
chrisb

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 10:19:30 am »

Hi there and welcome to the hobby of Model Boats.    Maybe we could ask Martin to change the title of Masterclass to Need some help - or This is how some of us do it.   

If you have a look on there - there is a Cervia build.   The Cervia is a tug (totally different to what you wish to build) however, if you have a look through it - it may help you understand some of the methods which a good few of us use to build model boats.   Bear one thing in mind always - we all have our own ways of doing things - and there is no right or wrong way - just your way or my way as Frank Sinatra once said -.

As far as the building board goes, I use one of these and always have done.   It enables you to keep the frames perfectly square whilst you are planking the hull.   It reduces the risk of the hull twisting.   Some people prefer to build the hull the right way up - keel to the board.   

Myself, I prefer to build my models the inverted way - deck to the board.

Having said that, the model I am under way with at the moment I am building the right way up - due to the design of it.

Don't forget, last but not least - the only daft question is the one that you didn't ask.

I have just found the article in the Model Boats Magazine special - winter 2011 - and the hull model by John Parker was planked in balsa wood.

I know a lot of people plank using balsa.    I use obechi for my planking.
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7947.msg77338.html#msg77338

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 10:30:12 am »

There are some comments about motors for Vamoose on the Model Boats Website Forum.

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/topic/electric-motor-suggestions/

Colin

MikeTMechanic

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 11:53:04 am »

That would be fantastic if you could,

Many thanks

Michael

I have the magazine that featured this plan (Model Boats Winter special 2011) so could scan the article that accompanied the plan for you if would like it.

MikeTMechanic

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 11:56:59 am »

Many thanks John,

As an Archery GB Development coach i also have the saying, "The only stupid/daft question is the one that is never asked.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Regards

Michael

Hi there and welcome to the hobby of Model Boats.    Maybe we could ask Martin to change the title of Masterclass to Need some help - or This is how some of us do it.   

If you have a look on there - there is a Cervia build.   The Cervia is a tug (totally different to what you wish to build) however, if you have a look through it - it may help you understand some of the methods which a good few of us use to build model boats.   Bear one thing in mind always - we all have our own ways of doing things - and there is no right or wrong way - just your way or my way as Frank Sinatra once said -.

As far as the building board goes, I use one of these and always have done.   It enables you to keep the frames perfectly square whilst you are planking the hull.   It reduces the risk of the hull twisting.   Some people prefer to build the hull the right way up - keel to the board.   

Myself, I prefer to build my models the inverted way - deck to the board.

Having said that, the model I am under way with at the moment I am building the right way up - due to the design of it.

Don't forget, last but not least - the only daft question is the one that you didn't ask.

I have just found the article in the Model Boats Magazine special - winter 2011 - and the hull model by John Parker was planked in balsa wood.

I know a lot of people plank using balsa.    I use obechi for my planking.
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7947.msg77338.html#msg77338

John

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 03:00:58 pm »

That would be fantastic if you could,

Many thanks

Michael

It might take a day or two - just been upstairs and it's not in the 2011 box, so I have either misfiled it or put the specials somewhere special!

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 11:42:27 am »

Right, I've found the magazine. As I guessed, I'd put all the specials in a box of their own instead with the relevant year.

I'll get the article scanned and sent sometime today, if you could send me your email by private message, then I can send the files to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.