Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My version of a Logging Bronc/Dozer Tug/Booat Boat – the Kapai  (Read 3131 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My version of a Logging Bronc/Dozer Tug/Booat Boat – the Kapai
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2023, 10:16:08 pm »

Thanks Garry, and thanks Bill.
I did this one to whet my appetite for some bigger builds and just like the first beer on a Friday night – it didn't touch the sides! I'll need another round, not quite so quick and easy.
I think I have a likely candidate...

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2024, 07:30:37 am »

The rub down lettering for the name finally arrived from the UK. I knew that there would be a delay so it wasn't an issue. Good quality too.

Rub downs are quite expensive (so are etching and waterslide decals) so I usually gang up a few different projects on the same sheet. This time I had things to complete the Kapai and the Ikatere, plus 6 more projects. Rubdowns have a shelf life of 2-3 years so they should last long enough, some of those projects aren't too big or complicated. Two are very big and complex.

With the name on the stern the last tyre fenders went on, then onto the display stand to gather some dust on the shelf. You can hardly see the name behind the tyres although that's just how it is on the real boat.

I'm reasonably happy with the outcome although I might try something a bit more traditional next – once I get the Busby out of the way.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2024, 09:49:22 am »

Up to your usual high standards Steve !  the level of detail achieved on these tiny models is amazing.

Interested to know where you are getting 'rub down' from in the uk please?
In a former life, 1980's commercial artist, I produced sheets of the stuff on a daily basis and it was a dying art at the time,
came in very useful for my modeling !!

"Chromatec" were the industry standard materials suppliers for the system and as mentioned it was very expensive,
involving nasty chemicals (different grades of cellulose thinners etc) that guessing nowadays would attract the attention of Health and Safety,
plus with computers revolutionizing the graphics industry - I'm amazed dry transfer has survived.

Would like a £ for every sheet I produced - happy days !

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2024, 09:56:16 pm »

Thanks Mr Zippy, I followed the same dark path in the 80s and also made tons of rubdowns.
Only a few places left that make them. I usually use AllOut Graphics in Vancouver, or as with this time – Flightline Graphics in the UK. Both give a really good service with excellent quality.
http://www.flightlinegraphics.com/
https://www.allout-graphics.com/
For etching I use PPD in Scotland. They are great, I've been using them for 10 years.
https://ppdltd.com/
For water slide decals: Bedlam Creations in the States: https://www.bedlamcreations.com/

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 09:41:55 am »

Thank you for the detailed reply Steve - fortunately for me Flightline are only an hours car journey away !
it would be worth collecting transfers in person - if they'll allow me to have a sniff of the rub down adhesive bottle Lol.

My static modeling friends will be pleased to hear about PPD for etched parts -
no doubt my many hours of pain and frustration spent learning how to use a Mac will be put to good use.

I've had surprisingly good results using water slide paper in ink jet printers, it's fiddly, but when perfected up to rub down quality fine detail,
now retired I only have access to my small home laser printer - of which I'm assured water slide paper is now available?
regards Paul.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2024, 09:17:05 pm »

How does the laser printing of decals work? Sounds handy. CMYK only? No white?

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2024, 09:39:19 am »

Hi Steve, To date my only experience with laser decals is a friend mentioning his wife, who's a teacher used it successfully on school projects,
I didn't know it was available ! - my home laser is a recent purchase whose full range of properties need to be explored.

A quick web trawl found the video below showing a white 'background' paper is available !
plus no spraying waterproofing lacquer before printing as with ink jet.

Colour saturation mentioned in the video may be an issue?
my A4 'home' laser doesn't quiet have the colour depth of my old ink jet when it comes to printing colour photos,
playing around with settings may improve etc.

Have to say ink jet waterslides did remind of the old rub downs -
their colour depth, glossy sheen and slight material thickness (small raised step around the edges) was just like Chromatec.
But we've moved on to the laser which has been a revelation !
it fires straight up, prints multiple pages instantly and none of the cartridge faff of the old ink jets.
Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgM3tis5CDo

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2024, 11:35:43 am »

I have a pack of white background paper I bought a few years ago, When I tried to use it the paper wouldn't go through the laser printer. The backing is heavy and doesn't bend easily and the paper path in the laser has a 180 degree curve between the feed and the drums. The paper jams up at this point every time even when set to the thickest paper setting. With a duplex unit at the rear to allow for 2 sided printing there doesn't appear to be a feed from the rear that could be used.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2024, 10:39:45 pm »

That video makes it look so easy that even I could do it! A 5 sheet pack of media is not too expensive and available locally.
My old printer has a u turn in the process like Jim's so I might try it with a print service.
Thanks for the tips boys.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2024, 09:39:11 am »

Well spotted Jim !
Yes my Xerox 6025 also has a U turn in the process and did jam badly when first experimenting with too thicker photo gloss paper -
I'd jumped in both feet first shelling out on a laser 4X? the price of an inkjet -
and duly had gloss colour paper welded to the rubber drum - thought I'd wrecked within the first week of owning it, but thankfully all was ok.
Sounds like Steve has the right answer - let someone else's machine take a beating Lol.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.