Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FUTABA FC-18. English Manual and 2.4 conversions?  (Read 796 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
FUTABA FC-18. English Manual and 2.4 conversions?
« on: February 27, 2024, 10:53:52 am »

I bought a new Futaba FC-18 radio new just before I retired, but I have never used it because it does not have an instruction manual, and all the information  that I can see online is in German or Dutch or French  - but not ENGLISH.

The radio is a genuine UK import from Ripmax and I would like to use it, but it did not come with an English handbook.

I understand that there were not too many of these FC-18 radios imported into the UK and that the general layout of the FC-18 (and the better known FC-14 and FC16) is not that popular so maybe Robbe never had one printed in English?

I have tried to use an English translation on my iMac when viewing various online pages from the German manual, but for some reason this does not work either!

Hopefully someone here on Mayhem can help as this is a really nice radio that in would like to be able to use......or if not, I would sell to somebody that can understand it as keeping it unused makes no sense at all.

If I can get some ENGLISH instructions I would then like a link to find out about the inexpensive Chinese 2.4 gig module that was refereed to in the previous  thread about the FC-18 as that could be very interesting.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
Re: FUTABA FC-18. English Manual and 2.4 conversions?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 11:39:23 am »

As you say, they didn't seem to do English instructions. You could try downloading a pdf of the German instructions, then use one of the free pdf tanslation services that are online, that should work. I've used online pdf translators in the past without any problems.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 11:49:55 am »

I think the post in the thread https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46017 meant one of the FRSky conversion units that comes, or did come, with a Tx insert & receiver.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think they are on sale now.
I doubt the FRSky 2.4G conversion would work with a PCM set
. For that reason I'm sacrificing an unused 35MHz FM Fleet set which had a prospect to be tweaked for legal 40FM use in the distant future.
 https://www.frsky-rc.com/ is the FRSky website website for this one which was bought from giantshark before it was muzzled to possibly keep the cartel happy.

I'd urge you to try sell the 40MHz FC18 to a wealthy model submariner & buy a spiffy 2.4GHz set.

Google Chrome seems to do translate pages very well. I don't know about pdf.
Why not paste a link to it?
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 09:33:45 pm »

According to a post from a US Futaba distributor on the RCUniverse forum way back in 2005 there was never an English manual. It’s a very basic set though so should be easy enough to figure out

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 05:49:15 pm »

the easiest 2.4ghz upgrade for any of the robbe/futaba radios with a module socket in the back (which the fc-18 should be) is the corona CT8F module.  this system is plug and play, and compatible with the robbe multi prop/switch encoders and decoders.

ask me how i know :)

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 05:59:17 pm »

also... about the manual.

the robbe fc-18 is basically an altered futaba fp-8ua.  If you can find the manual for that in english, it should get you most of what you are looking for.

DocMartin

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 10:12:55 pm »

Zooma:
The Corona CT8F 2.4 GHz plug-in module and 8-channel receiver can be purchased via AliExpress.

Using Google Translate, I was able to convert the Dutch FC-18 manual to English.  Looking at the first few pages, the translation appears to be fairly complete.
Attempts to attach the .pdf file here were NOT successful.
Send a DM with your email address and I will gladly send you the .pdf file of the FC-18 Manual English translation.
DocMartin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 03:22:52 pm »

I think the post in the thread https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46017 meant one of the FRSky conversion units that comes, or did come, with a Tx insert & receiver.

I'd urge you to try sell the 40MHz FC18 to a wealthy model submariner & buy a spiffy 2.4GHz set.

Good idea - I have never used it and 40 meg works well with subs.

..if you ever come across a wealthy submariner - please ask him to email me with a reasonable offer!

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 03:27:39 pm »

[quote

"I'd urge you to try sell the 40MHz FC18 to a wealthy model submariner & buy a spiffy 2.4GHz set".

quote.

Joking aside, I think it would make a very good radio to use with a submarine - it should have all the functions needed and it would be good to see it go to someone who could make good use of it.

I already have a spiffy 2.4 Ghz set...............I bought it because I couldn't work out how to use this one!   <:(

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 04:45:47 pm »

I wasn't kidding.Doesn't it work crystal-free (synthesised) on 40 MHz?
I know of one model submariner who got it for that feature.

You could get things going or change your mind if you attend the steam & sub event.
Roy P. is on the sub side and  a bit more connected than I am just now.

< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 10:18:50 am »

Using Google Translate, I was able to convert the Dutch FC-18 manual to English.  Looking at the first few pages, the translation appears to be fairly complete.
Attempts to attach the .pdf file here were NOT successful.

Send a DM with your email address and I will gladly send you the .pdf file of the FC-18 Manual English translation.
DocMartin

Thank you for sending the pdf files Doc. -  much appreciated  :-))

I will take a good look at them later today.......and find out what the programming buttons do!

My FC-18 also has the "Twin Navy" stick unit fitted,  so it could be good for a submarine with independent throttle control on two motors to help monouverablity?

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 10:40:05 am »

I wasn't kidding.Doesn't it work crystal-free (synthesised) on 40 MHz?
I know of one model submariner who got it for that feature.

You could get things going or change your mind if you attend the steam & sub event.
Roy P. is on the sub side and  a bit more connected than I am just now.

Hi Roy,

My FC-18 has a 40meg module fitted so you can use your choice of 40 meg crystals, but other Futaba modules can be plugged in to change this was preferred.

With the optional Twin Stick Navy module fitted to my FC-18 it has a lot of spec.  I can send pictures by email to anyone that would be interested in seeing it, but sadly I cannot upload any pictures from my iMac onto this Mayhem site  <:(

The link shown below to the Papplewick Pumping Station (that is hosting the Steam and Sub event) works.  The link shown above does not work - it looks like the pumping station has changed its online address.

I hope this helps  :-))

Bob.

https://www.papplewickpumpingstation.org.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.