Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiring set up  (Read 434 times)

Darren007

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Wiring set up
« on: March 10, 2024, 07:51:45 am »

I have a large tugboat 51” it has a car[/size]Blower motor and a raboesch 400 bow thruster fitted which will run of a 7.4v pack( I’ve been told that it will not run off the 12v battery), I will be using a 12vla battery and have x2 hobbywing speed controllers the radio is a 2.4 6channel. My question is how do I wire it all up? I’m new to rc boating and don’t want to get anything wrong. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the same set up as me?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: Wiring set up
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 08:13:19 am »

I have a large tugboat 51” it has a car[/size]Blower motor and a raboesch 400 bow thruster fitted which will run of a 7.4v pack( I’ve been told that it will not run off the 12v battery), I will be using a 12vla battery and have x2 hobbywing speed controllers the radio is a 2.4 6channel. My question is how do I wire it all up? I’m new to rc boating and don’t want to get anything wrong. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the same set up as me?

The information about the dedicated pack has as much importance as what was recently revealed in your photo.
It's all wired for you by someone who knew what they were doing. You certainly don't need to replace the thruster controller.

I suggest you carefully trace all your existing wiring and use that as the starting point.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Darren007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 08:34:39 am »

I just want to use modern esc’s that is all. I will be able to do away with the receiver battery pack this way. I understand it’s been wired up by someone who’s knows far more than me it’s just id rather use modern esc’s as that’s what I’m used to

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 08:48:33 am »

I just want to use modern esc’s that is all. I will be able to do away with the receiver battery pack this way. I understand it’s been wired up by someone who’s knows far more than me it’s just id rather use modern esc’s as that’s what I’m used to
I'm suggesting you retain a non-bec thruster control  unless you can reveal some quirky designed-in behaviour then snapping some more photos or trace a schematic by yourself.
Folk could otherwise waste hours tapping away replies shown to be redundant with another revelation.

Darren007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 08:52:58 am »

Why would a non bec esc be an advantage?

Darren007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 09:04:00 am »

It’s a bit of a mess hence why id like
To use modern esc’s

Darren007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 09:04:42 am »

I’ve no intention of using the smoker

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 09:43:04 am »

Why would a non bec esc be an advantage?
You don't want two switching becs supplying the same 5v or 6v circuit from separate batteries in some circumstances. You won't encounter that with only bec one bec esc.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 10:07:27 am »

It’s a bit of a mess hence why id like
To use modern esc’s
I suggest you take the approach chas pipped me to. I'd replace the electronize controller & receiver pack but retain all the switches and fuses. I'd also trace the wiring which looks to be sound and relate to the smoker which looks to be supplied from the propulsion battery via a voltage booster. It may be less intimidating to you with a schematic.

The only test I would bother with is one I mentioned in the earlier thread. With a meter on continuity, I would check the 12v battery -ve has only connection to the receiver -ve rail.

Darren007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 11:21:32 am »

So leave the smaller ec on the bow thruste? Would it not be better to replace both bow thruster esc and main motor esc to modern ones?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 01:45:58 pm »

Spell correct has been very bad this morning so I made an edit a few posts back.

You don't want two bec supplies, especially switching bec, and supplied from different batteries. There is the possibility of excessive & damaging current flowing out the working bec into the switched-off bec.
The thruster doesn't call for fine low end control. On the contrary...
2.4 GHz radios are error-correcting so you don't need the feature in the thruster's controller.

There is little to no information given on the thruster's controller or remarks on how well it works.
I don't know if the smoker uses oil or is a nebulizer.
If I was asked to work on the boat with the aim to simplify, I would possibly replace the propulsion motor controller with a bec esc. No more than that other than snubber suppression for switches.
I'd prefer to wire a switching bec into the existing Electronize controller (3 wires) but you won't consider that. 
I'd also replace the thruster controller with a 9 gram servo & microswitches and supply power from the 12v battery via a power resistor.
I'd replace a lead acid battery with a home made 3s Lithium ion battery but that's my obsessive streak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.